GT3TEK 993 RS Full Body Kit

Search this Thread

Old 10-08-2011, 10:47 PM
Hank Cohn
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Default GT3TEK 993 RS Full Body Kit

This weekend was slated for installing the GT3TEK splitters and tail on the car. I put together my thoughts on the GT3TEK RS Rockers in an earlier post.

The paint/body shop I used in Alpharetta has done great work for me in the past but had a difficult time getting an acceptable finish on the tail. It took three attempts to keep the paint from pitting or bubbling. This occurred each time the piece was sprayed and baked. I know black is a very difficult color to work with but the end paint product has a beautiful finish. The end result of any fiberglass replica tail is highly dependent on how much you want to spend on prep and finishing work. The finished product is not a perfect fit with a noticeable gap at the front between the leading edge of the tail and metal engine cover—just behind the rear glass. Also when viewed from the side, you can see some waviness in the fiberglass though we tried to smooth much of that out within a reasonable budget. You could spend a lot and make it perfect but before doing that I'd recommend the factory part. Like the splitters you have to drill your own holes to mount the tail and source your own hardware. The top of the mating surface where you’d bolt through is not level and one of the holes ends up in a corner that is very uneven making it difficult to snug down the hardware. I'd rate the tail an 8/10—lower if you are the concours or perfectly-waxed-and-cleaned type.

The front splitters fit better than any aftermarket RS splitters I have ever used. They align really well to the contours of the wheel opening and create a factory-like seam where they join and attach to the bumper. You have to drill your own mounting holes to screw them to the car both on the bottom (3 holes) and in the fender well area (1 hole). The bottom of the front fender liner has to be modified [cut] to work with the splitter but that's not terribly traumatic. The fit at the bottom of the car isn't perfect but certainly close and secure enough. For the price and durability, I'd rate the splitters a 9.5/10.

I should reread my comments of the GT3TEK RS Rockers because I hope I said something similar. With a little more development time, these parts could be great. As they are, they are a relatively low cost option that did not exist five years ago. I’d love to see GT3TEK invest a little more time in perfecting the tail, rockers and splitters and including quality mounting hardware for the tail.

Below are some unusually poor mobile phone pictures. Don’t tell me, I know that it looks like a lifted RS Replica with a missing tail gril. I will put some time, thought and $$s into the suspension next.

Old 10-08-2011, 11:48 PM
ryano
Burning Brakes

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

looks great.... Id love to check it out in person sometime
Old 10-09-2011, 01:30 AM
timothymoffat
Rennlist Member

Received 1,034 Likes on 464 Posts

Thanks for the writeup Hank.

Hard to see the detail in these shots but I like the look. I see you got some new wheels too. Again, hard to tell from the pics but they appear to have more "lip" on the rear than the OEM Speedlines. Could just be the pics.
Old 10-09-2011, 08:38 AM
ironimages
Three Wheelin'

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

looking good, and man you did not waste any time transforming that cars look!
Old 10-09-2011, 01:17 PM
Stealth 993
Nordschleife Master

Received 208 Likes on 126 Posts

Get some real pics, it looks sweet!
Old 10-09-2011, 03:15 PM
RS man
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Why did you sell the yellow one in the 1st place? I cannot remember if I read it or not.
Old 10-09-2011, 07:16 PM
Hank Cohn
Addict
Rennlist Member

Here are some better pics and I don't have a good reason why I sold the yellow RS Replica--now. At the time it was because I had ordered a 997 GT3.

Gap between wing and body:

The gaps between tail and engine cover and the surface waviness are difficult to pick up in the photos as with your eyes unless you inspect it at eye level. Again, for the cost, availability and relative ease of purchase and receipt, I am not complaining too much. That said these parts are close to being great and making them so would make them less expensive to prep, paint and install and, potentially, more profitable for GT3TEK.

Just to make sure that I keep this in perspective, the kit was about $1400 plus about $100 in shipping, $850 at the paint shop and $20 of hardware for a total of about $2370 and about five hours of installation time. That is significantly less expensive than factory parts alone.
Old 10-11-2011, 05:03 PM
RS man
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

The fit and finish of the front splitter looks excellent. I bet you wish you hadn't sold the yellow one...
Old 10-11-2011, 05:13 PM
Resident Sicko
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Jealous. Looks great. Are those rims the Speedline Clones? They look very nice.
Old 10-11-2011, 05:39 PM
Floodj
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Looks nice, almost a twin to mine.
--Joe
Old 10-11-2011, 06:31 PM
Hank Cohn
Addict
Rennlist Member

We've all sold cars we wish we still had and the yellow one is such a car. I'd never go down that route again and wonder why I ever did from a $$s perspective but, unlike a lot of car projects, I was 100% pleased with the end result. I just looked at the build sheet for the yellow car and was stunned by the effort and dollars put into it!

The wheels on the black car are the new "Veloce RS" clone wheels. The real Speedlines are so expensive these days that I gave these a try. I ordered them from the UK Veloce distributer and worked with Peter Ormrod, pwsuk@globalnet.co.uk, a great guy to deal with, by the way. I ordered the wheels on a Monday and received them the following Wednesday (7 business days). They are a one-piece wheel but are a really close copy--close enough to briefly fool a very high-end wheel shop at first blush--for a few seconds, anyway.

My goal with this car is to build a "budget" RS-look-alike and put the money where it really counts--in the suspension. I will be tracking the car so these wheels are just street wheels.

Thanks,
Hank

Last edited by Hank Cohn; 10-11-2011 at 07:15 PM.
Old 10-11-2011, 06:48 PM
Bill Verburg
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 547 Likes on 380 Posts

Looking good!

as I recall the factory oe spoiler wasn't a perfect fit either, one issue is the lack of a base gasket

It's interesting that the spoiler bolts from on top, the factory one bolts from below
oe top view

oe bottom view
Old 10-11-2011, 07:11 PM
Hank Cohn
Addict
Rennlist Member

Bill:

You're always saying that the factory stuff isn't perfect either. I know that from experience too BUT factory is A LOT closer than aftermarket stuff.

I am not trying to knock the GT3TEK RS parts--on the contrary really. For the money, relative to the cost of factory parts, they are very good BUT it wouldn't take much to make them great--that's all I'm trying to say.

Before I purchased these parts, I didn't know what I was getting into as I could not find any posts describing the experience. I even asked for feedback in a separate post and got nothing. I would have liked to see some reviews of how these parts mated to the car when installed by a DIYer like me. I realize you are doing the same by balancing my review with your experience with the factory parts and I appreciate that.

Also, if you are trying to build a high fidelity replica, the GT3TEK parts are not going to fool anybody. At one time, that would have been really important to me--obviously not now.

Anyway, just sharing my experience. Thanks for sharing yours.

Thanks,
Hank
Old 10-12-2011, 12:06 AM
dsmyth
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hank I did the same mods to my 95 cab a few months ago minus the tail. I did find that the rockers became quickly pitted at the section by the rear wheel. Probably not a bad idea to get those covered with some clear vinyl to protect that small section at the back. Just a suugestion for anyone thinking of those rockers. They do look great. Doug
Old 10-12-2011, 06:52 PM
DanQ
Pro

Received 157 Likes on 69 Posts

Originally Posted by Hank Cohn

Before I purchased these parts, I didn't know what I was getting into as I could not find any posts describing the experience. I even asked for feedback in a separate post and got nothing. I would have liked to see some reviews of how these parts mated to the car when installed by a DIYer like me.
Hank
Here are my comments on the GT3TEK parts from the RS not for purists thread. post 305- 313 Pretty similar to yours.
https://rennlist.com/forums/993-foru...ml#post7835640

Pictures are similar too!

Quick Reply: GT3TEK 993 RS Full Body Kit