Sponsored by:

Center Ac Vent Rehab

Search this Thread

Old 10-07-2011, 09:42 AM
techman1
Burning Brakes

Received 48 Likes on 36 Posts
Default Center Ac Vent Rehab

I have had a few questions about the center vent.
The dash area, and above the glove box gets cold when running the A/C. Need all the cold air out the vents to combat Florida heat! I suspected some of the foam had disintegrated from time, and was not making a good seal.

Removal of the center vent was easy, once I located the 2 tabs, just inside the vent, top area. Pry them down, while lightly levering the vent out. Use something that will not damage your dash when levering the vent. I used the plastic removal tool for removing door moulding. To alternately pry the tabs down, a small screwdriver was used.

When they have completely released, I pulled the vent out, and yep, all foam tape was powder! I used some foam tape I had on hand, cleaned the vent, and applied. Upon replacement, I could feel a much tighter seal as it snapped back in place!

Use caution, I have read of the 2 locking tabs breaking, mine appeared pretty strong.
The result is a better seal, and I imagine a cooler car. (And I got to see inside the dash!)
Old 10-07-2011, 07:06 PM
LvnTheDrm
Racer

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Thanks for sharing! May just have to pry in there sometime, myself. I find that the angles the vent have do not hit the driver in the face...it goes more toward the back. Not sure of a fix for that!

Quick Reply: Center Ac Vent Rehab