Notices
993 Forum 1995-1998

Steve Jobs died...

Search this Thread

Old 10-09-2011, 01:39 PM
Lorenfb
Race Car

Received 61 Likes on 54 Posts

"Before Steve Jobs, computers were either room-filling machines or things for hobbyists or typewriters with a crt screen."

Please!
Old 10-09-2011, 03:35 PM
JPP
Nordschleife Master

Received 31 Likes on 25 Posts

Wow, what a polarizing subject this turned out to be ...
All I know is, he put email, Safari/google, online magazines and music in one little box in my pocket. In 2007 I was in a Conestoga wagon shooting a flint-lock ... and the next thing I knew, I had an iPhone and it was like being beamed into a Star Trek episode ... His products have seriously changed my life and pushed the entire personal phone/computer industry to follow his lead ... it's been pretty amazing. I'll never forget the day I was at a Porsche swap meet in L.A. and I wanted to buy this tool kit that several other people were waiting for me to put back down on the sellers table and I didn't have enough cash ... then I realized I could access Paypal on my iPhone and I just paid the seller on my iPhone ... right there while the other would-be buyers watched in amazement. One guy just stood there with his mouth open ... and finally he muttered 'F**k me ..' under his breath and walked off in disgust .. I can't wait for 'Bump Pay' I'll never have to carry cash again :-)
Old 10-09-2011, 04:44 PM
911Jeff
Rennlist Member

Received 68 Likes on 39 Posts
Default RIP Steve Jobs

He changed us all

Last edited by 911Jeff; 03-30-2012 at 10:45 PM.
Old 10-09-2011, 05:47 PM
goofballdeluxe
Rennlist Member

Received 150 Likes on 97 Posts

Originally Posted by mrsullivan
People will want to get precise about who invented the technology for the PC, the hardware, the manufacturing, etc. That wasnt Steve Jobs. I agree. But the innovation of the form factor, content, capabilities, etc. that led to the commercialization of the PC, that eventually led to so many advancements, knowledge, information in far corners of the world, etc. is all Steve Jobs. The proliferation of usable mobile computing, etc. has got nothing to do with anything but Apple. Anyway, I guess we should let the man pass in peace and not create a debate about his contributions.
Not trying to start a debate. I just find it fascinating at how many are so drawn to him and his devices. Since he's dead, I'm sure he's passing in whatever peace may come, and a spirited Rennlist discussion won't affect him one way or another.

I, for one, would say that mobile computing has as many downsides as upsides. I wonder how many have been killed because of our love for texting while driving, for one. I see "iZombies" everywhere I go, completely unaware of their surroundings and oblivious to the world around them as they mindlessly text away and stare at their gadgets while they drive or walk down the street. No doubt Mr. Jobs' devices have contributed to this sad trend. His products may have changed our society, but not all those changes have been positive.

At the end of the day, in America 2011, he was as close to genius as we can get in this society. Too bad a great innovator like Jobs is gone, and Charles Manson still breathes....
Old 10-09-2011, 07:28 PM
solomonschris
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I really like the fact that Manson is rotting in a cell and knows that each day all his future
days will be nothing more than rotting in a cell. That said I don't see how one dying of an incurable medical malady can be compared to the sentence of a twisted whacko murderer like Manson....
Old 10-09-2011, 11:47 PM
Ed Burdell
Rennlist Member

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Lorenfb
"Before Steve Jobs, computers were either room-filling machines or things for hobbyists or typewriters with a crt screen."

Please!
I lived thru that era as an adult, and the tech was pretty sucky back then. Afterwards, not as much.
Old 10-10-2011, 09:43 AM
serval
Racer

Received 43 Likes on 25 Posts

Originally Posted by Flying Finn
Visionary indeed but let's not get carried away, Thomas Edison he was not.

Gentlemen, perspective is very hard at best of times. Some may say that Thomas Edison was not Thomas Edison - Tesla anyone?

Steve Jobs may be put on a higher or lower pedestal than he deserves, but his contribution to our everyday lives is obvious.
Old 10-10-2011, 09:47 AM
007DT
Drifting

Received 47 Likes on 25 Posts

Sorry about the Pissing Match over my Thomas Edison comment.. I don't recall stating he is/was better than Thomas Edison, that is obviously an argument that would be hard to measure because of the countless achievements that either one of these visionaries had their name tied to. I said "Modern Day Thomas Edison" To that end, I think it would be tough to argue that statement based on how he has changed the world as we know it today. Like Edison (w/ GE), Jobs has created a incredibly solid company in Apple which is today the richest company in the U.S. Because of his platforms (iPhone. IPad, etc), there are thousands of independent companies collectively employing hundreds of thousands of people.

He has changed the world... I just wish Rennlist would have an App like Bimmerforums does.
Old 10-10-2011, 09:54 AM
cabrio993
Race Car

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by 007DT
He has changed the world... I just wish Rennlist would have an App like Bimmerforums does.
Hey Dave, it does.

http://itunes.apple.com/us/app/rennl...447155623?mt=8

I'm writing this on it.
Old 10-10-2011, 10:03 AM
007DT
Drifting

Received 47 Likes on 25 Posts

Originally Posted by cabrio993
Hey Dave, it does.

http://itunes.apple.com/us/app/rennl...447155623?mt=8

I'm writing this on it.
Killer... Now I can avoid work even when I'm away from the office.
Old 10-10-2011, 10:24 AM
Amfab
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I see him more as a Raymond Loewy/Walt Disney than an Edison/Tesla
Old 10-10-2011, 11:17 AM
axl911
Drifting

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

I wasn't grown up enough to understand the Mac had on the PC, but I do understand the impact of the Iphone. It was a piece of technology I've been looking for over 10 years. I just can't understand why all the pre-Iphone so called "smartphone" do all the things I wanted it to even though the technology is there. When I saw the Iphone, it was a game-changer, killerapp, whatever you call it. Job was a genious for being able to pull of the Iphone when all these other pda/smartphone companies can't do for 10+ years.

He did revolutionalize the industry/world....at least 4 times. 1) Mac. 2) Ipods 3) Iphone 4) IPads.

Think of it, if you ever see these star trek or future type movies, they all carry around these computerized pads instead of paper & pencil. Well...the ipad is here.

If Siri works, it will revolutionize the world again. So yes...he's as good as Edison I think. Maybe it wan't only him...but he and Apple team.
Old 10-10-2011, 11:25 AM
JPP
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by serval
Gentlemen, perspective is very hard at best of times. Some may say that Thomas Edison was not Thomas Edison - Tesla anyone?

Steve Jobs may be put on a higher or lower pedestal than he deserves, but his contribution to our everyday lives is obvious.
Ha ... or Swan. I think the Swan family is still suing the Edison estate over the vacuum bulb. Edison got credit for many things that he didn't invent and some that he out-and-out stole from people, some of them his friends .. the Telegraph and baffle-less movie camera are two more .. He was a relentless self promoter that was brilliant at making it look like he was solely responsible for the fruits of others labor. Oh, and Tesla actually invented commercially viable electricity. Now that changed everything. (See, I WAS awake in the back ... )
Old 10-10-2011, 12:11 PM
jw97C2S
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The iphone has had a daily effect on me, has made me a better person and has changed the world as we all know it. We should all strive to create consumable devices. It better serves humanity (the hell with all that science mumbojumbo and saving the world from disease).

Sent via tapatalk mobile app for Android
Old 10-10-2011, 12:43 PM
JPP
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by jw97C2S
The iphone has had a daily effect on me, has made me a better person and has changed the world as we all know it. We should all strive to create consumable devices. It better serves humanity (the hell with all that science mumbojumbo and saving the world from disease).

Sent via tapatalk mobile app for Android
^^^ Ha. Android? You must be AC/DC ..

Quick Reply: Steve Jobs died...