Sponsored by:

Steering Wheel Obsession

Search this Thread

Old 10-09-2011, 03:15 AM
johnnyC4S
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by lumpy
nice new wheel johnnyc4s! Seems like a fairly quick turnaround too. Did they recover the airbag too or just replace the stitching?
Dallas turned it around in a week... delivered to my door. I had the airbag done in leather with the stitching.
Old 10-09-2011, 08:10 AM
DJF1
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 65 Likes on 27 Posts

The wheel with the blue stiching looks fantastic! Nice!!!
Old 10-09-2011, 02:28 PM
nile13
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 94 Likes on 60 Posts

Like the stitching on the wheel. Like the blue stripe. Not feeling the airbag stitching for some reason.

I should have done a yellow stripe on my wheel, probably. Maybe I still will.
Old 10-09-2011, 07:18 PM
Keadog
Rennlist Member

Received 1,101 Likes on 660 Posts

I really like the 996 steering wheel a lot. Much better feel to me than the 4 spoke.
Old 10-09-2011, 08:41 PM
jakfrost
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Possible 3 spoke for sale...

Originally Posted by pingwrx
I have this 3 spoke steering wheel with airbag that may be for sale. I have another one coming in about a week. I too like steering wheels

PM me if you're interested.
Hi, tried to PM you 3-4 times...no joy. Data base error? I am interested in the wheel if you decide to sell it.

Jim
Old 10-13-2011, 12:26 AM
johnnyC4S
Instructor

I had meant to post these pictures Saturday. Dallas does really nice work, very easy to work with, communicate and ask questions. Packaging and shipping is very professional not to mention the quick turnaround.
Attached Images     
Old 10-17-2011, 03:52 PM
V
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The steering wheel looks great. I've heard that recovering an airbag can be complicated because it needs to be able to deploy and therefore have the seams in the right places. It's probably not a big deal.

I hate to be the devils advocate here but it seems that everyone is very concerned with having an airbag in the car if it's not 100% track more or less. What about all the cars that were made previous to the airbag systems being introduced? Remember, all the SCs and prior 911 up until even the 964 did not have any airbags... I agree that ditching it for the wrong reasons is bad but over here, almost everyone who use the car frequently on the track has that Momo cup type wheel.. I've understood that if you have a 5pt harness and you strap yourself into the seat, then an airbag wheel doesn't help much. I guess the harness can be tough to drive with on the street but that cup wheel sure is tempting
Old 10-17-2011, 05:43 PM
johnnyC4S
Instructor

Originally Posted by Viggo
The steering wheel looks great. I've heard that recovering an airbag can be complicated because it needs to be able to deploy and therefore have the seams in the right places. It's probably not a big deal.

I hate to be the devils advocate here but it seems that everyone is very concerned with having an airbag in the car if it's not 100% track more or less. What about all the cars that were made previous to the airbag systems being introduced? Remember, all the SCs and prior 911 up until even the 964 did not have any airbags... I agree that ditching it for the wrong reasons is bad but over here, almost everyone who use the car frequently on the track has that Momo cup type wheel.. I've understood that if you have a 5pt harness and you strap yourself into the seat, then an airbag wheel doesn't help much. I guess the harness can be tough to drive with on the street but that cup wheel sure is tempting
I had this conversation with Don at Dallas Custom Steering Wheels. He was very detailed in his explanation on how they cover the airbag exactly as designed at the factory to assure it deploys correctly. Where the seams are... Hopefully I will never need to see it in action
Old 10-17-2011, 06:03 PM
boxcarracer
Rennlist Member

Received 101 Likes on 44 Posts

My favorite wheel that can be installed in a 993 is from Ruf

Quick Reply: Steering Wheel Obsession