993 Forum 1995-1998

YAY! FINALLY taking the 993 to Tail of the Dragon

Search this Thread

Old 09-29-2011, 02:14 PM
AtlJimK
Pro

Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by 007DT
That would've been OK... There is 1 person who has video of the long straight by the lake and he happened to have his trqmate running at the time. The video is not public.. We reached speeds faster than that of VIR down the straight. 8GT3's.. That caused the roadblock from calls to hwy patrol. No evidence.
Hey Ed, we never break the SL on our NGNYFR runs.
Old 09-29-2011, 02:36 PM
Avenger6
Rennlist Member

Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts

I'll be there a day behind you guys..... Just shipped the 993 back from over here in Europe, and will drive from Greensboro to PHX, AZ starting on the morning of the 17th.... Hope to NOT see any P-Car scraps on the sides of the roads when I get there.... HAVE FUN!
Old 09-29-2011, 10:40 PM
Ed Burdell
Rennlist Member

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by AtlJimK
Hey Ed, we never break the SL on our NGNYFR runs.
No, never, ever...that would be wrong.
Old 09-30-2011, 06:25 PM
cmd4
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

doubt i'll make it in a 993 yet,but i may bring the ol s4 grocery getter wagon!I'm local to the area and know alot of the less travelled roads....with less po po too
Old 10-03-2011, 10:09 AM
95 NC 993
Burning Brakes

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Day 2 is a possibility for me as well. Weather will be a key factor. Winter has arrived early here in the mountains. Mid 30's as I write this but it normally is not this cold this early.
Old 10-03-2011, 02:27 PM
Resident Sicko
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Yes...with lows in Charlotte the past two nights un the hight 40s, I sure hope old man winter is not here to stay yet. Looking forward to the trip and meeting those that can make it.
Old 10-11-2011, 08:59 PM
tropheus
Rennlist Member

Received 68 Likes on 31 Posts

Drive still on? Seems that 10/16 in Robbinsville will be 77F and sunny ;-)
Jack
Old 10-18-2011, 03:20 PM
Avenger6
Rennlist Member

Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts

Did you guys make it there? I did. It wasn't too bad, though being stuck behind 3 clowns on big Harleys, including one who clearly had not a clue on how to ride the damn thing reduced the fun a bit....

http://www.photoreflect.com/store/Or...po=141&pc=1018
Old 11-01-2011, 10:39 AM
Resident Sicko
Rennlist Member

-Taken from recent email to friends on the other side of the country:

"All in all I am finally a believer. I have to admit, I have been considering selling the car as it felt like it has been more of a liability to own it these days. Small garage, two children that do not yet respect the care needed when taking bikes out of the garage or wiping feet off before entering vehicle and the notion of keeping a "dry weather car" to protect the countless hours of work I have already put into it over the past year...only to eventually sell it to someone else. -Then there is the ongoing and very expensive battle to retain custody of our daughter from a disturbed and reckless mother which we feel is going well but is draining every financial resource we have.

The "Tail of the Dragon", as you may know is a road, 11 miles in length with 311 curves, give or take. It is a roller coaster filled with banked hairpins, chicanes, and smooth pavement that crosses the state line between North Carolina into Tennessee in the Great Smoky Mountains. Surrounded by miles and miles of equally fun and challenging roads with less traffic and higher speeds, the area is without a doubt one of the best places to test a car and driver's ability- And if you have a death wish, motorcycle as there are easily 5 bikes to every car ripping it up and keeping your line on the correct side of the double yellows is a challenge to most.

We started our trip on a crisp Saturday morning with two other cars, a potent turbo charged Acura RSX and a nearly stock Honda Civic Si and 5 motorcycles- Two Sport bikes, two touring and a Harley Sportster. Spent the morning at the BMW factory which was hosting an annual concourse show called "Eurofest". Ate some brats, drank some beer, finished it off with some deep friend Oreos (local favorite) and hit the road.

Aside from a check engine light that popped on an hour into the drive which was a result of low power steering fluid, the car seemed ready for the mountains...but with the updated suspension, was full of squeaks and rattles. Quick detour to an auto parts store for fluid fixed the problem, but the check engine light remained on (often requiring a diagnostic tool to reset) and I found myself wondering why I had gotten rid of a perfectly sorted, impressively powered Honda S2000 that was clearly more fun to drive than this overpriced German headache that has kept me busy with various issues, broken clips and rotten rubber. Is this REALLY worth the effort I put into it? I continued the debate in my mind as we hit the foothills of the Smoky Mountains and traffic began to thin while the roads started to wiggle like a Copperhead warming itself in the sun.

Our objective that afternoon was to take a route highly recommended by fellow Porsche drivers oddly named "The Twisted Pickle" which was a good 45 minutes out of the way concluding our trip at a cheap motel in Robbinsville, NC a sleepy biker town at the base of the Dragon. While the bikes were in the lead, it was soon clear who was in for a casual drive or ride and who was looking for some endorphins. Once we left the gradual casual sweeping curves and entered the more technical tricky sections and my traveling companions waved me past I felt the car wake up. The check engine light went off and I swear the rattles and squeaks from the interior leather simply went away as the car was introduced to some G forces and frequent gear changes.

For the next 5 hours that day and the most part of the next, I experienced some of the most satisfying, impressive and exciting moments I have ever felt behind the wheel. Road race is fun...Auto X can be tricky but neither of them compare to a narrow, twisty-beyond-reality road with evenly worn pavement that banks with every turn. The car was clearly in an element that it was made for. It was happy, being pushed, with a modified exhaust whale only known by other air cooled Porsches and for the very first time since taking on this project....I got it. I finally understand what the magic is. I now know what so many others have discovered as to why the 911 is special. It shouldn't be. The engine is too far back over the rear wheels and there is not enough weight in the front to do any good if you are an armchair engineer. However what logic tells you is a far cry from what is actually true. The car, when new was nothing to balk at. Able to be let loose on the autobahn within a classic efficient package. A small car that feels larger when it needs to be. Rides like a typical German car...heavy but secure. Soft when needed over broken pavement or cobblestone but compliant. However when just a few things get updated and replaced, the car takes on the attitude of a full blown track purpose killer. Shocks, springs, motor mounts, control arm bushings, a good set of brake pads, solid front shock tower brace, adjustable sway bars, lighter rims and new tires.
I only got the car out of sorts twice the entire weekend. Both times, plowing into a corner that I was entering a bit too hot, and without the confidence to punch it, kicking the tail out as I later became comfortable doing. But the amazing this was, I REALLY had to work to get the car to loose ANY traction, front or rear. The car simply did not understand the idea of loosing grip on these roads. I played with the limits, often eliminating the use of the brake pedal, then other times rolling the right foot over to the gas to match revs as I down shifted prior the apex and the car seemed keen on it's focus. Shifting between 2nd and 3rd was fun, but clearly not needed as the car made use of the gobs of torque better than any car I have ever owned- Supercharged or not and never seemed to bog or get out of breath.

I now get it. I now know what all the fuss is about. The drive home was tough only that we all were wanting to turn around at every opportunity to go back. In fact, this adventure has been on our minds every day since that weekend. By now, there are surely too many wet leaves on the roads, moist with the morning's heavy frost and we have accepted that the season is pretty much over. But have already marked our calendars for next year to begin a monthly trek back to the Dragon."

Last edited by Resident Sicko; 11-01-2011 at 02:42 PM.
Old 11-01-2011, 02:33 PM
brd4fun
Cruisin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Not to hi-jack the thread but has anyone had any experience getting a ticket in Robinsville area? A few friends went a few weeks back and may have excedded the speed limit by 28 MPH (not smart I know but never the less) We are talking to a few attorneys in the area, anyone know of a good one in the area? Has anyone else had a stupid moment and gotten a ticket in the area? if so, how did it work out for you?
Old 11-01-2011, 02:41 PM
Resident Sicko
Rennlist Member

Not I...we were radio'd and sane within the town limits....At least while on the roads.
Old 11-01-2011, 04:33 PM
911Jetta
Rennlist Member

Received 485 Likes on 278 Posts

Originally Posted by Resident Sicko
...For the next 5 hours that day and the most part of the next, I experienced some of the most satisfying, impressive and exciting moments I have ever felt behind the wheel. Road race is fun...Auto X can be tricky but neither of them compare to a narrow, twisty-beyond-reality road with evenly worn pavement that banks with every turn. The car was clearly in an element that it was made for. It was happy, being pushed, with a modified exhaust whale only known by other air cooled Porsches and for the very first time since taking on this project....I got it. I finally understand what the magic is. I now know what so many others have discovered as to why the 911 is special. It shouldn't be. The engine is too far back over the rear wheels and there is not enough weight in the front to do any good if you are an armchair engineer...
Great stuff! I had my "I get it" feeling a couple weeks back on my return trip from watching Petit Le Mans at Road Atlanta. I took some back roads up the the Blue Ridge Parkway. What a drive! Like you mentioned, I was in 2nd and 3rd gear heaven!

I think these sport bike riders were a little surprised to be holding me up. These are amazing cars!

BTW: incredible stance!

Last edited by 911Jetta; 11-02-2011 at 11:57 AM.
Old 11-02-2011, 09:47 AM
95 NC 993
Burning Brakes

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by brd4fun
Not to hi-jack the thread but has anyone had any experience getting a ticket in Robinsville area? A few friends went a few weeks back and may have excedded the speed limit by 28 MPH (not smart I know but never the less) We are talking to a few attorneys in the area, anyone know of a good one in the area? Has anyone else had a stupid moment and gotten a ticket in the area? if so, how did it work out for you?
In NC you can make the ticket 'somewhat disappear' by taking the 1 day defensive driving class offered in different areas of the state. It sure would be cheaper than an attorney. Look into it further on-line. AAA has info on it as well. No firsthand experience but my insurance agent pointed it out to me if I ever received a ticket, plus I read it in the AAA magazine they send out occasionally.

Quick Reply: YAY! FINALLY taking the 993 to Tail of the Dragon