Wanting to buy the following 993

Search this Thread

Old 09-27-2011, 10:47 PM
Wolfk
Racer

Received 17 Likes on 17 Posts
Default Wanting to buy the following 993

http://auto-europe-sales.ebizautos.c...px?iid=4760152

My only Porsche experience was a 67 911S that I owned for five years, four years ago. I know very little on the technical side of 993's. I did drive this car and it drove well, ran well.
My questions; 1) Check light came on occasionally after starting, the seller says that is normal and cancelled it with the console button. Also the spoiler light would light and then go out after getting under way. The spoiler would deploy and retract automatically. Seller says spoiler needs to be exercised. Do you guys buy this?
2) There is no Carrerra emblem on the engine lid, seller says it is emblem delete option. There are no clear shields on the rear fenders, the car does not look repainted. Does this sound reasonable?
3) I am ordering a PPI since these cars are more complex than I thought. However I can not be there, since I live out of state.

Any thoughts from you guys on this car?
Old 09-27-2011, 11:04 PM
993 770
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Right off the bat... Get a PPI, including leakdown test on any 993 you look at . never trust what the dealer tells you, make sure all statements made are either verifiable or you can live with the cost later on. make sure you work on the purchase price too. I think 39k for a 44000 mile c2 may be little high good luck , and let us know how it goes!
Old 09-27-2011, 11:05 PM
ilko
Agent Orange
Rennlist Member

Received 532 Likes on 194 Posts

Which "check light" are you referring to? Engine? If so, you'll need to have it scanned and see what codes come up. Proceed from there.

Spoiler light should come up and stay on until you hit 5mph, so that's not an issue. Regarding the spoiler "exercise," sounds like the seller knows even less than you about these cars

The emblem delete is not an issue to me, if you want a new emblem you can get one for about $30.

I would get the fender guards pronto. FD Motorsports carry them and they have great prices. No idea why they are not on, maybe somebody thought they are not necessary. Unfortunately without them the rear fenders will get peppered with rock chips in no time.

Get a PPI from a shop not affiliated with the seller. Ask here and check the local PCA chapter for recommendations.

Best of luck!
Old 09-27-2011, 11:23 PM
Wolfk
Racer

Ilko, talking about the big light with the exclamation. Yes, PPI will be unaffiliated with seller.
Old 09-27-2011, 11:30 PM
berni29
Pro

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Hi

No emblem on lid + no protectors = repaint IMHO.

Berni
Old 09-27-2011, 11:46 PM
rol607
Burning Brakes

Received 32 Likes on 19 Posts

I possibly might sell my 993. Let me know if you have interest in an immaculate '97 Coupe with 22,200 miles and many factory options as well as others.
Old 09-27-2011, 11:49 PM
ilko
Agent Orange
Rennlist Member

Received 532 Likes on 194 Posts

Originally Posted by Wolfk
Ilko, talking about the big light with the exclamation. Yes, PPI will be unaffiliated with seller.
Exclamation point light turns itself off with spoiler light. Unless there is a bulb that's been removed on one of the other idiot lights. You may want to check for that.

Berni is right, the car may have been repainted. Proceed with caution there and have the shop examine the body very carefully.
Old 09-28-2011, 12:04 AM
Wolfk
Racer

rol607, pm sent.
If it was a repaint, it was nicely done, there are no masking lines near the trim. Is there such a thing as emblem delete? I take it that all 993 came with the clear fender film?

Last edited by Wolfk; 09-28-2011 at 12:06 AM. Reason: spelling
Old 09-28-2011, 12:17 AM
Al Z
Burning Brakes

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Wolfk,

I also may be selling my 95' Polar silver 993. It has 64k miles with many nice upgrades. It is the one on my signature pic. I did get the wheels poweder coated black. I live in downtown St Louis which is about an hour from you. I will pm you my number in case you are interested.
thanks,

Al Z
Old 09-28-2011, 12:20 AM
MarkD
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Elko is right, see what codes are hiding behind the big !

this is not normal... Unless the low fuel light is also on
Old 09-28-2011, 12:23 AM
rol607
Burning Brakes

Received 32 Likes on 19 Posts

Did not receive PM
Old 09-28-2011, 01:25 AM
95C4VanIsle
Three Wheelin'

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have a 95 C4 that had an option of "debadging" the rear emblem. Personally I like the cleaner look of the car. With no rear badge it doesn't necessarily mean a repaint. It also doesn't mean that one didn't occur. Can't help with the other matters
Old 09-28-2011, 02:27 AM
DJF1
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 64 Likes on 26 Posts

Originally Posted by Wolfk
rol607, pm sent.
If it was a repaint, it was nicely done, there are no masking lines near the trim. Is there such a thing as emblem delete? I take it that all 993 came with the clear fender film?
Yeah, all 993's came with the fender film and I agree that its worth a close examination for sure. The car does not look like it has any exclusive options so I find it difficult to believe that it came from the factory without the badge. One way of checking would also be the option codes. Did you see a sticker under the trunk lid? The only option that I see on the car is the motorsound exhaust tips.

On thing though bothers me. The engine lid seems to have a bit of a bizarre fit. Further to that if you look at the last picture the right side sheet metal by the plastic cover seems a bit bent and the fitment of the plastic sill cover seems off. I just installed a new plastic sill on my 993 and I'm pretty sure the raised tabs on each side are not under the sheet metal, but sit in top of each edge. I maybe wrong but if there was any short of crunch back there that would explain the new fenders without the film as well as the lack of badge on the trunk lid.
Good paint jobs really take an expert eye or equipment to tell these days.

I would not buy without a thorough PPI as well as a body check for accidents.
Old 09-28-2011, 07:52 AM
ericthepilot
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Check on the VIN decoder, when the car was built if rear emblem delete was ordered.
Old 09-28-2011, 08:25 AM
jimbo3
Rennlist Member

Received 659 Likes on 389 Posts

Originally Posted by MarkD
Elko is right, see what codes are hiding behind the big !

this is not normal... Unless the low fuel light is also on
There are no codes for anything involving the exclamation point light. OBD codes are engine emmissions related while the exclamation point is for other attentions such as hand brake engaged, low fuel, etc, etc. When the exclamation point light goes on, there is another small light that goes on somewhere else on the dash to tell you what to pay attention to.

Cancelling the exclamation point light will not turn off the second light that indicates what the attention is. The second light will only go out when the situation is resolved. (ie, adding fuel, disengaging hand brake, etc.)

Could be wrong, but I don't recall the exclamation point light going on simutaneous with the spoiler light as Ilko mentioned.

Quick Reply: Wanting to buy the following 993