GT3Tek 993 RS Side Rockers

Search this Thread

Old 09-25-2011 | 10:15 PM
Hank Cohn
Addict
Rennlist Member

Default GT3Tek 993 RS Side Rockers

Quick review for anyone thinking about these:

I ordered a set of these rockers early last week. Shipping was very fast to Atlanta and I had them at my door by Friday. The box they were shipped in was shorter than the length of the rockers so they were bent to fit the box. I was a little worried about that but within a few hours they were back to being straight.

My initial impression, having had and installed several OEM sets in the past, was that the GT3Tek’s were a good likeness to the factory part—the shape, not the finish. It is too bad that these come with a smooth and glossy finish rather than the more dulled and stippled–like finish of the originals. Whether you like the finish or not is very subjective. On a dark car like my black 993 the finish is not an issue. They also weigh more than the stock rockers if you are worried about weight.

I put the passenger side on first. It was a pretty good fit—better than expected. Trimming the tabs was not necessary but marking and drilling several holes and performing three test fits before final assembly was. On my car the passenger side was very easy and lined up really well; accurately contouring to the front and the rear with no modification. These rockers don’t extend as far under the car as the originals, and, as a consequence, the plastic nuts that secure the rockers to the underside of the car only cover about half of the area as the stock rockers but it does seem secure enough. Also, there is a hatch that you can use to access the oil drain bolt and should eliminate the need to remove the rear rocker during oil changes.

The driver’s side was a different story on my car. The part is actually too long by about an eighth of an inch or more. The front screw hole that attaches the rocker to the body had to be moved and several holes/cutouts needed modification where it mounts to the car. The rear did not contour nearly as well as the passenger side and it will be interesting to see if it stays in place once the tape that holds it heats cycles and ages. Likewise the front does not accurately follow the contour of the metalwork of the lower fender. It is not terrible but certainly not perfect.

I did not drill any holes in the car and use metal screws to attach the rockers as recommended. When applied properly, the double-sided tape supplied with the rockers is usually almost permanent.

Keeping in mind that these pieces are a third the cost of the OEM part, I can’t really complain. You get what you pay for. I am not trying to accurately reproduce an RS—this time, and, as such, these rockers do a good job of approximating the real parts. If you were, however, trying to duplicate the real thing, these rockers are not for you. If these rockers were a test prototype for the finished product then they would only need a few hours of rework to be perfect. Perhaps one day GT3Tek will make a second version that fit both sides perfectly, have all holes predrilled and come in your choice of finishes. I’d rate this product an 8/10 for fit and finish, a 7/10 for fidelity to the original and 10/10 for cost if you don’t need the OEM piece.

If I come across a set of OEM rockers for a reasonable price, I would change these out.

I have GT3Tek RS splitters and a tail at the paint shop now. I am looking forward to installing and reviewing those parts in the near future.

Hope this helps someone.

Last edited by Hank Cohn; 09-25-2011 at 10:57 PM.
Old 09-25-2011 | 10:20 PM
ryano
Burning Brakes

Pics? I have been thinking about these but am on the fence especially on the finish
Old 09-26-2011 | 09:08 AM
Bill Verburg
Addict
Rennlist Member

The oems aren't perfect either, the tabs are very fragile

any pics of how the double sided tape is used?
Old 09-26-2011 | 12:07 PM
Kika
Nordschleife Master

I have the same skirts: my pics are here: https://rennlist.com/forums/993-foru...y-day-off.html

Bill, the double sided tape holds the vertical piece in front of the rear wheel well to the car. On mine, there is a small gap and small rocks can get stuck. Periodically I use a brush to clean them out.
search GT3Tek there are a few reviews. I went with the unpainted look for the skirts.
Old 09-26-2011 | 12:13 PM
FisterD
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by ryano
Pics? I have been thinking about these but am on the fence especially on the finish
I also have the GT3-Tek RS side skirts. I put one screw near the top inside the fender lip like the factory skirts have. I left them in their natural finish and have been very happy with them. We sell them at the shop and all of the customers that have purchased them from us are happy with the product as well.
Attached Images  
Old 09-26-2011 | 01:31 PM
TrackdayRSA.
Rennlist Member

https://rennlist.com/forums/993-foru...ghlight=gt3tek

Here's some pics of mine
Old 09-26-2011 | 03:19 PM
Hank Cohn
Addict
Rennlist Member

It was not my intention to write a negative review. I thought I gave the product a good recomendation.

Bill, I know what you mean about the factory skirts but if you are aware of the issue, as in you are not installing your first set, then you won't break the tabs off.

Kika - My rockers look exactly like yours. The passenger side looks really good but the side you see all the time, the driver's side has a gaped open section in the rear and the front does not accurately follow the contour of the metalwork.

Again, I am not being negative, given the price, just realistic:

Pics:

Old 09-26-2011 | 04:00 PM
Falcondrivr
Race Car

Someone stole your gas door.
Thanks for the pictures!
Old 09-26-2011 | 04:31 PM
certz
Rennlist Member

Thanks for the pictures!
Weight savings
Old 09-26-2011 | 04:43 PM
MarkD
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Falcondrivr
Thanks for the pictures!
I'm betting on paint matching
Old 09-26-2011 | 05:29 PM
Hank Cohn
Addict
Rennlist Member

Winner winner chicken dinner for MarkD.
Old 09-27-2011 | 10:36 PM
dsmyth
Rennlist Member

I went for the color match on mine. The fit had similar issues but I overcame the gap issue with a black silicone bead that matches the other black body gaskets. It keeps rocks from getting stuck in there and blends in. I would highly recommend that at least the rear wheel section gets a clear film paint guard applied as I can already see the small chips starting to appear. Thats the downside of not leaving it black. Doug
Attached Images  
Old 09-28-2011 | 12:27 AM
Kika
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by dsmyth
I overcame the gap issue with a black silicone bead that matches the other black body gaskets.
Doug, can you post a close up?
Old 09-29-2011 | 12:29 AM
dsmyth
Rennlist Member

As requested. A steady hand is required but it does nicely match the other black body reals used on the car.
Attached Images  
Old 09-29-2011 | 12:34 AM
dsmyth
Rennlist Member

Sorry for the crummy picture it looks better in real life. It actually looks like a rubber gasket. They should make a gasket to fit in there.

Quick Reply: GT3Tek 993 RS Side Rockers