Sponsored by:

compensation for reduced value?

Search this Thread

Old 09-19-2011, 09:11 AM
nedsky
Instructor

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Default compensation for reduced value?

I was involved in an accident Friday morning. I was sitting at an intersection with a red light waiting to make a right turn when someone in a SUV attempted a left hand turn across traffic from the street perpendicular to me. She was struck by a car moving through the intersection and bounced into me, damaging the right front of my car. I'll need a new right fender, headlight- bucket, hood, and the passenger door won't open (whatever that entails). I assume this will be several thousand dollars.

My question is this. Is there any compensation for the car's reduced value- which I assume will occur- because of the accident if and when the car is sold?

BTW, as soon as the cops told me I could move when the wrecker arrived (the SUV was on its side tilted up against my car) the 993 started right up and backed away. It is perfectly drivable though not at night. These things are actually little tanks.

I know everyone wants pictures. I'll try to figure out how to do that. Thanks
Old 09-19-2011, 09:22 AM
mjsporsche
Rennlist Member

Received 141 Likes on 91 Posts

Lots of previous threads on diminished value claims. It think it is easier to win the Lottery. You should try it but I seriously doubt you will get any remedy other than for reimbursement to repair the damage and maybe rentals while being repaired.

Mark
Old 09-19-2011, 09:47 AM
nedsky
Instructor

Thanks, Mark. I figured I was dreaming but I thought insurance was supposed to restore the insured to their prior condition. I guess that's just a book concept. I'll try and look up the past threads. I mustn't have worded the Search correctly first time around.
Old 09-19-2011, 11:01 AM
Rick Lee
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Depends on the other person's insurance co. I got hit in my E46 to the tune of $7k. The at-fault party's insurance co. was State Farm and they told me to get a report from an appraiser as to diminished value. I was able to pick my own. He said to drop it, however, because the accident didn't show up on Carfax and I got a complete new exhaust system on a 60k mile car. But State Farm was pretty cool about it when I called to inquire. An air-cooled Porsche has to be easier to claim.
Old 09-19-2011, 12:30 PM
CalvinC4S
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

By the description you give of the damage, it is a very good chance your car will be totaled.

The parts and labor for the 993 add up very fast.
Old 09-19-2011, 12:54 PM
CorrdoBrit
Rennlist Member

Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts

Maybe true if the insurer applies the old KBB book pricing. Now that 993 values have been adjusted to reflect more realistic street values, you have a strong case not to total the car.
Old 09-19-2011, 12:54 PM
Denise993
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by nedsky
My question is this. Is there any compensation for the car's reduced value- which I assume will occur- because of the accident if and when the car is sold?
I asked that same question of an insurance guy last year when I was hit in my SUV by his client. He said that "as soon as a car hits 10 years or 100,000 miles, it there is no dimished value even if it is allowed in the state." Mine wasn't either, so I pressed him and then he said "Virginia isn't a dimished value state. Some states allow it, Virginia doesn't."

I think it's total B.S., but because it's a Porsche and maybe you could make the case it is rare or a collector car, you might have a shot.

Good luck!
Old 09-19-2011, 01:19 PM
911Dave
Rennlist Member

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by Denise993
I asked that same question of an insurance guy last year when I was hit in my SUV by his client. He said that "as soon as a car hits 10 years or 100,000 miles, it there is no dimished value even if it is allowed in the state."
I'm sure that will sit well with the owner of a 356, an early 911 S, or any concours car.

Diminished value is a fact, despite the opinion of any insurance company. If they don't agree to pay, then sue them. They MUST make you 100% whole again. The court system is there to protect you in the event you are not fully compensated. Use it! Often, the filing of a lawsuit, or the threat of one, is enough to make the insurance company open its wallet a little wider.
Old 09-19-2011, 01:58 PM
600RR
Burning Brakes

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

FWIW: Show the insurance company the written offer you received from the potential buyer (he's probably a close friend, right?) and a written follow-up rejection or reduction of that offer because of the accident. Then continue to stand your ground with the insurer. This could succeed only if the car is totaled, or if you get into a pissing match on repairs. It is very unlikely they will write a check in excess of repairs, AFAIK. While it was years ago, I did receive considerably more than was initially offered on a totaled Vette because it was very cherry and my friend provided a written offer to buy it.
Old 09-19-2011, 02:11 PM
solomonschris
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Since you were in the car when it was struck the insurance company will need you to sign a medical release...nuf said....Chris
Old 09-19-2011, 02:21 PM
USMC_DS1
Drifting

Received 57 Likes on 34 Posts

If you're serious then get a lawyer. Let them chase it for you... nothing to lose on your part especially if it's pro bono. Insurance companies won't respect you until you have representation or threaten them that you have no choice but to seek legal rep... a few may budge with the threat alone but others will disconnect and wait to see if you're serious. Unfortunately, that's just the way it works from what I've seen/experienced. Give them an inch and they'll ignore you.

BTW, don't let them off the hook on physical injury... I'm not saying be dishonest but wipe lash can affect you several days later... even wks after a hit and you won't feel it until then. I made the mistake after an accident in my early 20's of telling the offending driver's insurance company that I was fine after an accident only to find that I had recurring neck pains a week later which would not go away after a month. I called them back to seek compensation for only 2 chiropractic visits... denied. Only after I got legal representation and they had to pay thousands in lawyer's fee and compensation to my lawyer did I get my 4 visits to the chiropractor paid by them... $1,200 for medical... thousands for legal on both sides which they had to eat. No wonder our insurance costs are so high... It's a stupid industry practice but that's how they do it. Good luck and let us know how it works out for you with or w/o legal representation.
Old 09-19-2011, 02:31 PM
goofballdeluxe
Rennlist Member

Received 151 Likes on 98 Posts

You'll never get a diminished value claim against an insurance company for the accident you were in. The insurance company's stance will be that when they fixed your car to OEM standards, you were made whole.

At best, you'll hafta sue them and spend lots of time/money in court for a few thousand of diminished value. But the odds are waaay stacked against you.
Old 09-19-2011, 03:56 PM
bleucamaro
Drifting

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by goofballdeluxe
You'll never get a diminished value claim against an insurance company for the accident you were in. The insurance company's stance will be that when they fixed your car to OEM standards, you were made whole.
We had a little S10 pickup that was rear ended. We got diminished value, but it was done as "pain & suffering". Being that the 993 is older, that is probably your best bet for getting the cash.

When we made the argument that the truck would be worth less than before the wreck even though it had been 100% fixed. The insurance co told us not to disclose that it had been hit to a seller. We didn't take kindly to them insinuating that we should commit fraud, so they paid up.

It will most likely be a much smaller PITA just doing a pain & suffering claim.
Old 09-19-2011, 04:23 PM
nedsky
Instructor

Many thanks to all for your replies. I've been trying to raise their insurance company but nothing so far. It's very aggrevating. I am of a mind to play hardball. If I hear anything short of music when the insurance people eventually contact me I will. I'll let everyone know the outcome as this could happen to anyone here.
Old 09-19-2011, 04:38 PM
goofballdeluxe
Rennlist Member

Received 151 Likes on 98 Posts

Originally Posted by bleucamaro
We had a little S10 pickup that was rear ended. We got diminished value, but it was done as "pain & suffering". Being that the 993 is older, that is probably your best bet for getting the cash.

When we made the argument that the truck would be worth less than before the wreck even though it had been 100% fixed. The insurance co told us not to disclose that it had been hit to a seller. We didn't take kindly to them insinuating that we should commit fraud, so they paid up.

It will most likely be a much smaller PITA just doing a pain & suffering claim.
True, but pain and suffering is not diminished value.

The OP would have a much easier time getting the insurance company to pay for pain and suffering. In fact, if I were in an accident, I'd imagine I'd pay very close attention to any pain or discomfort in the days following an accident of any magnitude.

Insurance companies rarely pay for diminished value. They always pay for pain and suffering. One way you get paid, the other you don't. Who cares what you get paid for, as long as you get paid....

Quick Reply: compensation for reduced value?