993 Forum 1995-1998

New Headlight Lens

Search this Thread

Old 09-18-2011, 07:25 PM
RBP
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Question New Headlight Lens

I ordered a set of new headlight lenses from Pelican. Mine are the original and have some chips and the plastic part inside at the bottom has yellowed. When I received them they look identical so I switched out the lens and attempted to reinstall. Didn't matter what I did the assembly would not pull in when I moved the crank arm. As a matter of fact moving the crank was causingteh light to be pushed out rather than in. I looked very close and they look the same so I was not able to find anything wrong. I reinstalled the original ones and had no problem. Anyone have this problem? If so is there something I am missing or doing wrong? Any help would be appreciated.
Old 09-18-2011, 07:30 PM
Magdaddy
Rennlist Member

Received 246 Likes on 185 Posts

the lenses are left and right specific. Could have been switched?
Old 09-18-2011, 08:52 PM
jakfrost
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I just replaced mine with the right one from Pelican, (Bosch), and the left from Sunset, ( OEM ) since Pelican was unable to supply the left.

When I went to reinstall them in the car I had the same issue as you mentioned, but after a couple of attempts I realized the rubber 'seal' around the outside of the lens, where it meets the metal...was what was causing the problem. The old seal was worn and had taken a 'set' from years of being in place, the new rubber seal was, well, new...and so all it took was some careful but firm pressure on the lens to compress the rubber 'seal' until the latch mechanism caught and locked the unit in place.

Jim
Old 09-18-2011, 10:01 PM
Van Larson
Rennlist Member

Received 149 Likes on 106 Posts
Default new lenses

exact same experience. exact same fix.
Old 09-19-2011, 12:50 PM
RBP
Instructor

Thanks guys will try pressure on the glass while I try the crank. I thought the old ones get pulled in if they are out a little to far.
Old 09-19-2011, 12:52 PM
csmab
Rennlist Member

Received 43 Likes on 22 Posts

Same issue. Direct pressure should help them sit correctly.
Old 09-19-2011, 04:01 PM
Academictech
Rennlist Member

Received 48 Likes on 21 Posts

Just installed a new set on my car this weekend; was disappointed the prices seem to be about 100% higher than they were just four years ago! Had the same issue, once the rubber seal formed everything went in as it should.
Old 09-19-2011, 09:08 PM
911Dave
Rennlist Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by Academictech
Just installed a new set on my car this weekend; was disappointed the prices seem to be about 100% higher than they were just four years ago!
I think that's because a few months ago somebody started a vicious rumor that there were only a few new lenses left anywhere in the world, and it created widespread panic.
Old 09-19-2011, 09:16 PM
ABCar
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I panicked and bought two new ones...silly me, now I have two beautiful new lenses. The fix mentioned above (or some variation) worked for me. It's just finessing a new part into an old fitting. Good luck.
Old 09-20-2011, 09:30 AM
RBP
Instructor

Thanks guys, pressed on the face and seated like a charm. Should have tried force on my own but didn't want to break something. Again thanks for the advice, much appreciated.

Quick Reply: New Headlight Lens