Notices
993 Forum 1995-1998

Successful 993 Steering Wheel Replacement

Search this Thread

Old 04-25-2012, 09:28 PM
C4S993
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Where did you get the rattle proof gear shifter **** ? I assume the newer 996 steering wheel has it's own air bag or do you re-use the original airbag ? When I do mine I can also get those Rev Counter dead bulbs replaced.

THANKS !!!!!!!
Old 04-30-2012, 03:47 PM
johnnyC4S
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by C4S993
Where did you get the rattle proof gear shifter **** ? I assume the newer 996 steering wheel has it's own air bag or do you re-use the original airbag ? When I do mine I can also get those Rev Counter dead bulbs replaced.

THANKS !!!!!!!
If you are asking about my gear shift **** - it is an original Porsche **** that I purchased directly from Porsche - probably around 4 years ago. My original was very worn and did "rattle". The new one does not.

Since I posted this I did get a 3 spoke wheel - done by Dallas. It was both the wheel and airbag. See the pics...

-- John
Attached Images  
Old 04-30-2012, 09:55 PM
C4S993
Pro

That wheel looks great ! Do you have the parts number for the rattle-less shifter ? Thanks
Old 05-01-2012, 06:48 PM
johnnyC4S
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by C4S993
That wheel looks great ! Do you have the parts number for the rattle-less shifter ? Thanks
The shifter and leather boot come together. I called my parts guy and he gave me the following OEM # 993-424-075-00-4YU.

This is for leather and in cashmere. DO NOT order just on this post - please verify for your car with your mechanic or parts supplier.

-- John
Old 05-02-2012, 08:59 AM
C4S993
Pro

Smile C4S part #

Thanks for the part number, I asked as like you, my 993 is a C4S and the shifters are different than non-C4S 993.
Old 05-04-2012, 11:15 PM
palmfish
Advanced

Hey Johnny, I want to thank you for the inspiration. This was the first "mod" to my 993.

I love my car but since I've gotten it, I thought there was just too much grey inside. Plus I hate the 4-spoke wheel. I knew I wanted to swap steering wheels, but wasn't sure about the difficulty of dealing with the airbag. After reading your thread, I knew it would be no problem.

Here's mine (dirty carpet and all)...

Old 05-04-2012, 11:39 PM
EMBPilot
Banned

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

it looks fantastic!
i love our cars... steering wheel upgrade on my 2011 BMW, 6 hours of exercising my vocabulary...
in 993... 20 minute job, i said to myself "thats it?"

your new 3 spoke wheel looks great. good match to your airbag too.

my reconditioned 3 spoke (and leather airbag)
Name:  Untitled-1.jpg
Views: 2397
Size:  37.5 KB

removal of my old worn 3 spoke...
Name:  b90b0806.jpg
Views: 2347
Size:  37.5 KB

Last edited by EMBPilot; 05-04-2012 at 11:55 PM.
Old 05-05-2012, 12:49 AM
palmfish
Advanced

Nice Wheel! Your "old" 3-spoke looks like my "new" one...LOL. And your new wheel is gorgeous!

Yes, I am pleased with the match. I got the airbag and wheel from different eBay sellers, but they look like they came off the same assembly line.

Now with my E30 BMW, I have an MTech I which is my favorite (and original) steering wheel for those cars. Having an ample supply of Kiwi products left over from my Army days, I applied scuff remover over the entire wheel, then polished the leather with paste and a horse hair brush to a dull shine. It looks like a new wheel. Works with leather seats too.

A very good reason to stick with black leather.

Are you an Embraer pilot?
Old 05-05-2012, 01:31 AM
EMBPilot
Banned

interesting use of the brush! i would have never thought of that. the airbag and wheel are a perfect match from the photos.

the reconditioned 3 spoke looks like a shade of gray from the lighting but its black. my former MTech wheel is exactly what pushed me to reconditioning the 996 3 spoke wheel, and influenced using perforated leather on the sides. Mtech wheel is a great wheel isnt it...

former EMB driver (old screen name, now regret it haha!) in the 73' now
Old 05-05-2012, 01:42 AM
palmfish
Advanced

73? You mean 737?

Sorry, I'm a RW pilot - don't know too much about big jets.
Old 05-05-2012, 01:56 AM
EMBPilot
Banned

RW? recreation? lost in abbreviations here.

yes, B737 now

is the use of the horse hair brush what keeps the leather from getting shiny? i think id like to learn that technique for the seats...
Old 05-05-2012, 10:21 AM
palmfish
Advanced

Wow, 737...impressive!

RW=Rotary Wing...sorry. I'm dual rated actually, rotary and fixed, but 75% of my work is in helicopters.

You can get as little or as much gloss as you like with the horse hair brush. The longer you buff it, the shinier it will get. Just go light on the paste - otherwise it will get too shiny for your taste and you may leave residue behind - which will transfer to you. A satin or egg-shell type finish will not be possible - there will be some gloss to it.

Last edited by palmfish; 05-05-2012 at 11:03 AM.
Old 10-05-2013, 05:23 PM
tkm
Advanced

Default Two different wheels. Just FYI in case people aren't aware

Hi folks, I'm sure some of you are aware of this, but after reading this post I went ahead and tried to replace the wheel on my 1996 993. It's a manual drive car and after doing some limited research it looked like any of the OEM 4-spoke wheels would work, regardless of model (assuming it came off a manual car, of course).

I purchased a wheel off of a Rennlister and tried to swap it today. To my surprise, it didn't actually fit. The specific issue is that the metal you see on the wheel, where the screws attach to the airbag (at 3 and 9 o'clock), can actually be a different depth depending on the type of wheel you have. So, I was trying to reuse my airbag unit only to find that the wheel I'd purchased has a much more shallow depth for where the airbag attaches, not allowing it to seat properly in the wheel. In the picture, the rectangular red area is what I'm talking about when I say "shallow." On the wheel that's on my C2, those rectangles would be much larger. At least a good inch if not more "deeper."

The only things I know about the differences between the wheel I have and the wheel I purchased off of the Rennlister is that the Rennlister's is a turbo wheel (per the RLer) so that might explain the difference. I had read in a couple of places that a turbo wheel would work on my C2, and that might be in true in some cases, but that was not true in this case.

Anyway, just passing on to make sure people are aware of this. I will be posting the wheel for sale for the price I paid in case anyone needs a wheel with the more "shallow" metal at the airbag attachment point.
Attached Images  

Last edited by tkm; 10-05-2013 at 05:48 PM. Reason: Photo. Better description of issue.
Old 10-06-2013, 12:12 AM
Rick-A-Shay
Burning Brakes

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Since we're into steering wheel replacements, I did the four spoke to three spoke changeover with no issues except...... The four spoke has four horn contacts on the horn ring and the three spoke has three contacts on the horn ring. After assembling the new three spoke, I find out that the horn contact on the lower spoke is the only one working while the top two don't work. I guess I'll have to get back in there and check/clean the copper buttons on the back side of the horn ring to see what's going on. Am I the only lucky fellow to have this issue? Have not ever seen this mentioned in other posts........
Old 10-06-2013, 10:18 AM
CarreraX
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 29 Likes on 18 Posts

Just saw this thread. I have a perfect black 3 spoke leather wheel with black vinyl airbag and silver crest if anyone is looking. Ill list it in classifieds when I have a chance. $750 shipped if anyone is interested.

Quick Reply: Successful 993 Steering Wheel Replacement