What do you guys think of seam welding?

Search this Thread

Old 09-18-2011, 01:55 PM
AOW162435
Seared
Rennlist Member

Received 415 Likes on 233 Posts

Originally Posted by Mark in Baltimore
Cross an intersection and get T-boned? I'll take the caged car. Lose control and back into a jersey barrier at an angle? I'll take the caged car. Flip the car? I'll take the caged car.
Need to transport a load of chickens? I'll take the caged car.

Andreas
Old 09-18-2011, 03:14 PM
Ed Hughes
Rennlist Member

Received 80 Likes on 54 Posts

Mark, we are talking about the same bars. I said crossbar, you said longitudinal. I never presumed my head would hit the front hoop or the main hoop if I am restrained. Any 911 with a full cage has had the longitudinals mere inches from my head, well in range of an impact, which could be a function of my size. Enough empirical evidence for me!

I'm of the opinion I'm further ahead in safety with my roll bar than I am in a stock car.

I only used the A-pillars as an example. Your statements, save for your assertion that your head will hit your main hoop, are pure conjecture, just as mine are. My main hoop is very far away from my head (I sit super-close to the steering wheel), as are the main hoops of almost all of the cup cars I've seen. Regardless, the real issue is the longitudinal bar near the top of the doors where I can hit my head.

This reminds me of roll bar threads on Miata.net where the available roll bars are close to the back of the head, so the choice is to run with zero rollover protection, thereby guaranteeing death or paralysis in a roll over versus having the back of your head potentially hit the roll bar. I made my choice and run a roll bar in my Miata.

For camlob, the choices are similar but different. We're talking about a car with a roll cage versus a car without a roll cage and, in a crash, I'll take the caged car over the non-caged car, all day, every day. Cross an intersection and get T-boned? I'll take the caged car. Lose control and back into a jersey barrier at an angle? I'll take the caged car. Flip the car? I'll take the caged car.

I'm not saying that there aren't safety compromises with the cage, for the tubing may cause fractures. But I always find it interesting that people seem to ignore the fact that behind the alcantara or leather or plastic is cold, hard steel that can {{{conjecture}}} do as much or nearly as much damage as an SFI-padded tube. Yes, I have no data.

I agree that this can be a problem, but I'd love to see data to support it. I still maintain that I'd rather be in my caged 993 than my multi air bagged Sequoia
Old 09-18-2011, 03:45 PM
CalvinC4S
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Driving drunk limber freaky girls home from the club with a pocket full of 12" zip ties, I'll take the caged car.

Driving in Jurrasic Park with a trunk full of rib eyes, I'll take the caged car
Old 09-18-2011, 03:56 PM
Mark in Baltimore
Rennlist Member

Received 499 Likes on 320 Posts

Ed, when I referred to longitudinal bars, I was talking about the bars that connect the B-pillars (aka main hoop behind the seats) with the A-pillars that are located "above" the door frames.
Attached Images  
Old 09-18-2011, 03:58 PM
Mark in Baltimore
Rennlist Member

Received 499 Likes on 320 Posts

Originally Posted by CalvinC4S
Driving drunk limber freaky girls home from the club with a pocket full of 12" zip ties, I'll take the caged car.
That's exactly what I'm talkin' about!!

Old 09-18-2011, 04:22 PM
Ed Hughes
Rennlist Member

Received 80 Likes on 54 Posts

Ed, when I referred to longitudinal bars, I was talking about the bars that connect the B-pillars (aka main hoop behind the seats) with the A-pillars that are located "above" the door frames.
Those are the same bars I call crossbars, probably wrongly. I've always thought of longitudinal bars being the ones to cross the top "halo" of a cage from corner to corner.

At any rate, the bars you note are what scares me when I sit in a Porsche with a cage, as my head could hit in the case of a side impact. I am tall, as stated previously, and that could affect my opinion on a full cage in a street car.

Quick Reply: What do you guys think of seam welding?