Sponsored by:

Porsche 993 Reborn - Epic Journey

Search this Thread

Old 09-16-2011, 12:23 AM
Analog Theory
Burning Brakes

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts
Talking Porsche 993 Reborn - Epic Journey

I've just completed the most increidble road trip and 993 upgrade and wanted to share some thoughts (and of course pics) with the Rennlist community. I've been dreaming (no obsessing) about regearing my 993 since the day it came home nearly 7 years ago. Every other mod was just one step closer and I had long ago promised myself I wouldn't do it until I could do it right - and by an expert.

Let the record show that there is absolutely no justification for the absurd expense (it's 4 figures if you're serious about doing it right and don't have an early 95 with the right mainshaft). That said for me it was an easy decision as this car will never leave me.

Let me also say that I couldn't imagine a Porsche community that did not include Steve Weiner and Jeff Gamroth. Dealing with them throughout the entire process was an absolute pleasure and I just can't give enough praise or say thank you enough (yes Steve...I'm already obessing about the no compromise 3.8. My God where does it end!). My gear selection process was based on the fact that this is my street car so I wanted it tight down low and a euro factory 6th for cruising. In retrospect, I could have done a shorter motorsports 6th as I actually LIKE the humming of the lower gears! Even so, the euro 6th was worth it, the US one is useless.

The Result: Where did my car go because this isn't it - WTF and HOW did Porsche not make it this way from the factory...I mean really - it is THAT good. Completely transforms the driving experience - and let me tell you there have been A LOT of very surprised faces (sorry late model 99X owners...but it's all over but the crying ) Enough about that. The car is just on song ALL THE TIME. I was also pleasently surprised that my weight came in at just over 2900lbs during the corner balance still with power seats! (pole positions coming soon).

About that journey to Rennsport/Rothsport in OR.....

Back in the spring when discussions began I knew for sure the car would be hand delivered to Steve and Jeff personally. My wife (the trooper that she is) was up for an epic road trip and so off we went.

Day 1: San Diego to Santa Barbara (stayed with friends ate delicious dinner at The Hungry Cat)
Day 2: Off to Napa but we had to take the 101 and not the 1 because the road was out just north of Half Moon Bay
Day 3: Napa (stayed at Hyatt in Santa Rosa). Amazing wineries, food, scenery, etc.. That night we had an incredible 7 course tasting menu at Petite Syrah Bistro. Note to self - don't have a few drinks in the bar in advance...each course had a wine paring and we were clobbered by the end.
Day 4: Hard charge up Hwy 101 all the way to Gold Beach, OR and hands down THE most incredible (and romantic stay) at Tu Tu' Tun Lodge right on the Rogue River. Very pricey but we just fell in love. www.tututun.com So much so we structured our trip back to stay again (and we'll be back yet again).
Day 5: The rest of the way up the INCREDIBLE Oregon Coast to Lincoln then cut over to Portland to drop the car on Day 6

The drive was amazing and the scenery the same. We were determined on the trip back about a month ago to stay just as much off the beaten path. Similar route but this time we cut off the 101 South at Leggett, CA to take the Shoreline HWY to the "real" rugged coast and old HWY 1 down to Fort Bragg, Mendocino and finally a cut back over to San Francisco. From there it was coast HWY 1 all the way to LA...absoutely charging the entire way. Oddly (or maybe not)....we saw all of 1 993 (both directions).

Let the record show again that The Shoreline HWY is the sickest drive I've ever had (my shoulders actually hurt at the end). If there ever was a road to say WOW you can really feel the new LSD that was it!

Ok long post I know...so on to the pics. Sorry for the quality it was i-phone all the way, they are all mixed up and I used a basic windows utility to resize.

Here is my Rothsport "spa" list for the 993. I couldn't be more statisfied.

Enjoy.

Jordan
Attached Images                
Old 09-16-2011, 12:28 AM
Analog Theory
Burning Brakes

more...
Attached Images                
Old 09-16-2011, 12:33 AM
Analog Theory
Burning Brakes

and more....
Attached Images                
Old 09-16-2011, 12:33 AM
stace
Rennlist Member

Received 26 Likes on 21 Posts

Steve and Jeff did my suspension - simply top shelf! and I've stayed at the Tu Tu Tun lodge - wonderful spot. the whole OR coast is amazing. enjoy the reborn car!!! wish I was back on the left coast!!!
Old 09-16-2011, 12:37 AM
Analog Theory
Burning Brakes

and even more....
Attached Images             
Old 09-16-2011, 12:42 AM
timothymoffat
Rennlist Member

Received 1,050 Likes on 474 Posts

I want to do this soooooooo bad. Nice selection of gears; I like the short 1st of the stock tranny for around town, and the rest are perfect for a street driven 993. The Euro/G50-21 6th is a nice choice for top as well.....subtly shorter than the G50-20 but more than enough to notice (the stock/G50-20 car feels dead in 6th at highway speeds). With the LWF she must fly!

Looks like an awesome roadtrip too....reminds me of a trip last year. Beautiful.

Last edited by timothymoffat; 09-16-2011 at 01:13 AM.
Old 09-16-2011, 12:50 AM
FisterD
Rennlist Member

Received 44 Likes on 25 Posts

Oh man, I want this!
Great write up and pics. Is that Jeff's 993 RSR?
Old 09-16-2011, 12:58 AM
Analog Theory
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by FisterD
Oh man, I want this!
Great write up and pics. Is that Jeff's 993 RSR?
Thanks guys!!...and that is indeed Jeff's insane 993RSR that he raced at Daytona.
Old 09-16-2011, 01:02 AM
AOW162435
Seared
Rennlist Member

Received 418 Likes on 233 Posts

Great story, wonderful mods, and nice pics. Enjoy!

Andreas
Old 09-16-2011, 01:26 AM
csertich
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Outstanding pics, great story and lots of good info. Congratulations on a great mod. Love the pictures. Thanks for this.
Old 09-16-2011, 01:29 AM
mike993c2s
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Wonderful! Thanks for sharing. I need to do this too......
Old 09-16-2011, 02:27 AM
mongrelcat
Drifting

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Long pauses in between your threads Jordan, but soooooo worth the wait.

Very nice deal all around. Thanks for sharing.
Old 09-16-2011, 03:50 AM
Steve Weiner-Rennsport Systems
RL Technical Advisor

Received 64 Likes on 48 Posts

Love the pics,...you've shown places I've never seen,....
Old 09-16-2011, 04:04 AM
Mike J
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 71 Likes on 58 Posts

Excellent pictures and story...thanks for sharing!!
Old 09-16-2011, 07:36 AM
scott watkins
Rennlist Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Brilliant, thanks for sharing!

Quick Reply: Porsche 993 Reborn - Epic Journey