Sponsored by:

'95 front bumper cover...

Search this Thread

Old 09-12-2011, 09:43 PM
jakfrost
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default '95 front bumper cover...

Just brought a new ( to me ) 993 US/Can Turbo bumper cover home and I'm concerned it might be a problem fitting it to my '95. It came off of a NB '97 and the part # is 993 505 311 03 G2X.

My original has 3 ( I think 3, 2 for sure ) 'alignment tabs' along the top edge just outside the headlights. They have a sort of 'hooked' shape and slip into openings in the fender made for them. This newer cover doesn't have them...but maybe I don't need them?

I did a quick search on Google and Pelican shows the above part # for '96 to '98 only.

Anyone have any experience with changing the front bumper cover on their '95?

Jim
Old 09-12-2011, 09:52 PM
Matt Lane
Rennlist Member

Received 190 Likes on 113 Posts

I just got off the phone with Jim, and it never occured to me that the 96-98 Turbo bumper may not fit a 95.

Can anyone confirm? I'll of course take it back if it doesn't fit!

Best,

Matt
Old 09-12-2011, 11:41 PM
nile13
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 94 Likes on 60 Posts

The reason that part number is shown for '96-98 is that there were no turbos in '95.

I believe that there is something that needs to be added, like a different lining as I've said in teh other thread.
Old 09-12-2011, 11:42 PM
Rick Lee
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I'm having a local shop do this conversion now and you need the turb mesh and wheel liners.
Old 09-13-2011, 12:53 AM
rcwelch
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I did not have to use any different liners...the shop made the originals work just fine.
Old 09-13-2011, 09:22 AM
jakfrost
Racer

I'm not too worried about the liners, I can fab up a fix for them if its not too far off, I'm more concerned about the plastic to metal fit from under the headlights around the corner to the wheel opening. My OEM cover has 2 or 3 'tabs' that slide into their respective openings in the fender to 'align and lock' the top of the cover to the fender.

The 'turbo' is just flat all the way around with 3 holes for sheet metal screws. I might have to drill holes in the fender to be able to attach the cover...not sure. That is the reason for my question. It would be nice to know someone else had 'been there, done that' before I jack up the car, remove the wheels, pull the front wheel liners and remove the bumper cover just to see 'if' it will fit.

But I guess that is my project for later today, at least its a day off, albeit the last one for this month...:-(.

Jim
Old 09-13-2011, 10:11 AM
BSL
Three Wheelin'

My '95 cab has a turbo front bumper cover (was previously installed)--should be no difference between a '95 and '96-98 models, as far as the bumper cover is concerned.

edit--and I see Randy has a '95 also...
Old 09-13-2011, 11:37 AM
Matt Lane
Rennlist Member

Received 190 Likes on 113 Posts

The turbo bumper was installed by the P.O. on my car, so unfortunately cannot comment on how it specifically attaches. I am sure someone will chime in with a definitive answer or better yet, pictures.

If you are having it painted at a good shop with Porsche experience, they will know exactly how to mount it and should be able to tell you in advance. You may consider stopping by Auto Bugatti near your work in Dorval, they did the removal and installed the NB bumper with my RS conversion this summer. They should be able to confirm how it's buttoned together. Ask for Joe Visconti the owner, he'll remember doing the work on my car.

Originally Posted by Rick Lee
I'm having a local shop do this conversion now and you need the turb mesh and wheel liners.
Originally Posted by rcwelch
I did not have to use any different liners...the shop made the originals work just fine.
As mentioned above, the old liners do not need to be replaced (mine were not), and yes, you do need the Turbo grill.

Keep me posted - I'll either drop off the grill or come pick up the bumper!!!

Best,

Matt
Old 09-13-2011, 04:35 PM
jakfrost
Racer

Default Problem solved, questions answered!

I decided the best way to answer my questions about the fitment of the 993 NB 'Turbo' bumper cover to a 'non-turbo' ( obviously since there is no such thing as a '95 993 Turbo, at least not a factory version...), NB '95 993 was to remove the OEM cover and attempt to install the 'turbo' version.

I am delighted to report that I can now take the silver cover to the shop for minor repair and re-paint in my Aventurine Green color with confidence. It fits , perfectly

The 'locating tabs' that I was concerned about are on the top of the splitters, not on the cover itself, so not a problem.

These are the tabs that I was concerned about...

Thanks again for your patience Matt!

Jim
Old 09-14-2011, 01:43 PM
rcwelch
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Don't forget to fill in the bumperette holes and get rid of them...much cleaner look IMHO
Old 09-14-2011, 03:27 PM
Caveman
Rennlist Member

Received 19 Likes on 16 Posts

You don't need to use turbo liners; the normal ones will work just fine. :-)

Cheers,

David
Old 09-14-2011, 07:03 PM
JPS
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 19 Likes on 14 Posts

Well, just fine is a bit subjective. You can cut a bit, or just spring for the new liners. There are a few differences between the turbo and std.
Old 09-14-2011, 10:33 PM
jakfrost
Racer

Originally Posted by rcwelch
Don't forget to fill in the bumperette holes and get rid of them...much cleaner look IMHO
Is that a DIY, or something you have the paint shop do?

Jim
Old 09-15-2011, 07:50 AM
Caveman
Rennlist Member

Received 19 Likes on 16 Posts

If you compare the turbo PU and the normal PU the only real difference in profile (when looked at head on) is that the sides don't curve in so sharply. Thus, with a little bit of thought and attention any good body shop can re-use the old liners.

Quick Reply: '95 front bumper cover...