Received 82 Likes on 56 Posts

Does that mean you infer no benefit?
Old 09-10-2011, 01:53 AM
inkatouring
Three Wheelin'

Received 59 Likes on 39 Posts

Originally Posted by Ed Hughes
Does that mean you infer no benefit?
No. Assuming the answer to my original question is no, the only benefit I'm aware of is that warm oil "adsorbs" contaminants, so you get more dirt out. I'm sure there is an optimal temp for that. I was always taught to warm the motor, but that it need not get to operating temp. My curiosity was whether that was different with our Porsches combination of oil coolers and dry sump, as some have implied.

Last edited by inkatouring; 09-10-2011 at 11:16 AM.
Old 09-10-2011, 11:15 AM
Slow Guy
Race Director

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by inkatouring
No. Assuming the answer to my original question is no, the only benefit I'm aware of is that warm oil "adsorbs" contaminants, so you get more dirt out. I'm sure there is an optimal temp for that. I was always taught to warm the motor, but that it need not get to operating temp. My curiosity was whether that was different with a dry sump, as some have implied.
Personally I would use the term suspends rather than absorb. Think of it this way, take a 1 gallon jug of tea, if you just pour it out a glass at a time by the time you emptied the jug there would be a fair amount of sediment at the bottom of the jug. If you shake the tea before pouring there will be very little sediment left in the jug when it's empty. Much the same as warming up the engine first.

There is no way you can get all the oil out of an engine w/out disassembling it, there are just too many places for puddles to collect. The idea is to get out as much of the contaminants/sediment as possible no mater what percentage of the total oil you drain.
Old 09-10-2011, 12:20 PM
GC96
Instructor

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

I would think that in theory the hot oil would help drain more oil out in two ways. First the viscosity of the oil would be less than when at room temperature and it should flow a little easier and be less likely to stay stuck to engine components. The second way it should help is by causing the oil to expand and reducing the density of the oil. It might help to think of the oil in terms of mass rather than volume, so when you fill up the oil your putting in a certain mass of oil which happens to take up 10 quarts at room temperature. When the oil is all at operating temperature it should take up more volume than 10 quarts. Since the oil cooler system is a fixed volume, having it filled with hot low density oil once the thermostat opens minimizes the mass of fluid in the system. The rest of the mass of oil is back in the tank. So in theory draining when the engine is hot should allow you to drain a higher mass of oil than when it is cold. Now does all this add up to a significant quantity? I'm not sure it does.

GC
Old 09-11-2011, 01:49 AM
inkatouring
Three Wheelin'

Received 59 Likes on 39 Posts

Originally Posted by GC96
I would think that in theory the hot oil would help drain more oil out in two ways. First the viscosity of the oil would be less than when at room temperature and it should flow a little easier and be less likely to stay stuck to engine components. The second way it should help is by causing the oil to expand and reducing the density of the oil. It might help to think of the oil in terms of mass rather than volume, so when you fill up the oil your putting in a certain mass of oil which happens to take up 10 quarts at room temperature. When the oil is all at operating temperature it should take up more volume than 10 quarts. Since the oil cooler system is a fixed volume, having it filled with hot low density oil once the thermostat opens minimizes the mass of fluid in the system. The rest of the mass of oil is back in the tank. So in theory draining when the engine is hot should allow you to drain a higher mass of oil than when it is cold. Now does all this add up to a significant quantity? I'm not sure it does.

GC
Thanks GC, an intelligent and thoughtful response to the actual question asked. Food for thought....
Old 09-11-2011, 10:19 AM
AOW162435
Seared
Rennlist Member

Received 418 Likes on 233 Posts

I only drain my oil when it's tepid.

Andreas
Old 09-11-2011, 10:45 AM
Mark in Baltimore
Rennlist Member

Received 500 Likes on 321 Posts

Originally Posted by AOW162435

Andreas
You always told me flaccid.
Old 09-11-2011, 11:57 AM
IXLR8
Rennlist Member

Received 705 Likes on 489 Posts

Originally Posted by AOW162435

Andreas
But only if one is "teppert". One would need to recognize the dialect.
Old 09-11-2011, 12:26 PM
Amfab
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

oy
Old 09-11-2011, 05:14 PM
JasonAndreas
Technical Guru
Rennlist Member

Received 112 Likes on 90 Posts

I always do it as close to cold as possible.
Old 09-11-2011, 05:26 PM
Matt Lane
Rennlist Member

Received 196 Likes on 117 Posts

Originally Posted by Mark in Baltimore
You always told me flaccid.
Careful gents, you might yet end up honorary RennSpoon members...

Old 09-11-2011, 06:46 PM
Mark in Baltimore
Rennlist Member

Received 500 Likes on 321 Posts

heynowi'msurei'mnotcleanenough
Old 09-11-2011, 09:34 PM
FlatSix911
Nordschleife Master

Received 18 Likes on 15 Posts

If I do it ... stone cold
If my wrench does it ... nice n' hot
Old 09-12-2011, 06:58 AM
geolab
Rennlist Member

Received 182 Likes on 125 Posts

The oil Thermostat open or close difference, is the amount of oil in the tube from the thermostat to the oil radiator.
remember the oil cooler is top fed
the return oil tube from the cooler to the oil reservoir has no thermostat, flap, or other restriction.
this is where the gurgling occurs when thermostat opens. Air is present in the return tube.

In real life= After calm driving, park the car leveled with temp. gauge hot at 9 o'clock and let idle for 30 secs. (for the example) lets say oil level gauge on dash reads at 3 o'clock
Now floor the accelerator and rev the engine above 6000 rpm twice or three times and let idle, yo will notice the oil level gauge will shoot up far more than 3 o'clock.
But the difference? maybe 1/4 of a liter +/- or 2% ? I don't know
I change my oil hot, because I do not have to wait, cold takes longer time to drip out as said above
Old 09-12-2011, 11:45 AM
911Dave
Rennlist Member

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Warm is plenty good enough. Hot is too hot; you'll burn your hands on the oil and the engine components while working under there. There's not enough oil in the oil cooler lines and oil cooler to make any difference in the health of your engine, provided you change the oil at least once a year or every 5k or so, whichever happens first. Warm is good enough.

Quick Reply: "Hot" oil change vs. not