Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Lewis

On behalf of everyone.....THANK YOU!!!!

Tony
Old 11-16-2011, 10:21 PM
911RufRT
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Can you please add me to the waiting list for one complete kit with enclosure.

Thanks very much!
Old 11-17-2011, 01:12 AM
earossi
Burning Brakes

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

Fantastic! Looks like my kit will be mailed to me sometime this week. In prepping for the installation, I went back and re-read this entire posting. Early on, someone speculated that the firmware design for the 97 and 98 model 993's might be different from the earlier 993's and that the CPU might be looking for a "change" in voltage rather than a drop to zero. There were several messages exchanged on this bit of speculation; but, no solution mentioned, though Lewis thought that it would be a simple redesign of the circuit that is currently being fabricated.

So, I have a couple of questions:
1. How long will it take to experience a "failure" of the device to prevent a fault code and CEL trip? Will I see the failure instantaneously?

2. How difficult will the redesign be and will it be a modification to the existing circuits installed for this test? Or, would it be better to get a newly wired assembly?

Just trying to anticipate the worst case scenario since the posters seemed to understand the technology but were unsure of the firmware design differences.

Sorry for the long post. And, for my paranoia!
Old 11-17-2011, 12:56 PM
fullbooker
Racer

Lewis,
Thanks again to you and your wonderfull wife for your efforts.
I am wondering if the two of you would accept a Starbucks gift card as a token of my appreciation on this project?
Thanks,
Phil
Old 11-17-2011, 04:05 PM
markc123
Instructor

please put me down for 2
thanks
mark
Old 11-17-2011, 08:31 PM
mpgandco
Pro

"In summary, each unit cost $10.74 to fabricate and ship. I have tried to keep the unit cost as low as possible".

Lewis
Are you kidding me?I can't believe this is all you are charging us for these!!We all need to get together and send you some Costco/ Starbucks gift cards with are payments.I think if we all send Costco gift cards and everybody does it you can buy your wife something nice for Xmas.You guys in?
Old 11-18-2011, 05:27 AM
rbettenhauser
4th Gear

Is anyone still making the SAI Bypass/Tester circuit board?
Old 11-18-2011, 10:33 AM
ltc
Super Moderator
Needs More Cowbell

Lifetime Rennlist

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by mpgandco
"In summary, each unit cost $10.74 to fabricate and ship. I have tried to keep the unit cost as low as possible".

Lewis
Are you kidding me?I can't believe this is all you are charging us for these!!We all need to get together and send you some Costco/ Starbucks gift cards with are payments.I think if we all send Costco gift cards and everybody does it you can buy your wife something nice for Xmas.You guys in?

I have about 80 hours of labor into this batch of 100 (schematic capture, PCB layout, parts selection and ordering, soldering/assembly, electrical test, PCB washing, packaging/shipping/paperwork tracking).
80 hours (4800 minutes) soundsl like a lot, but for 100 units, it comes out to about 48 minutes per unit.
To be honest, I never expected so many members would be interested in such a thing. I went into this thinking I would build a few, but it became apparent early on that this was a much more useful tool for folks.
(I am mechanically challenged, so I don't work on my cars, not even oil changes. I won't even be keeping one for myself)

As I stated early on in this thread, I am not a RL sponsor, so I can not charge more than my costs for these units.
Old 11-18-2011, 10:34 AM
ltc
Super Moderator
Needs More Cowbell

Lifetime Rennlist

Originally Posted by rbettenhauser
Is anyone still making the SAI Bypass/Tester circuit board?
There is a list for the first 100 units, all of which are allocated/spoken for.
There is a "waiting list" for a second build, but as of now there is no date
Old 11-18-2011, 10:37 AM
ltc
Super Moderator
Needs More Cowbell

Lifetime Rennlist

The next shipping date is this Monday (11/22).

My wife and I will be packaging up the units this Sunday for those who have sent their name/shipping address via PM since the last shipment went out.
Old 11-18-2011, 07:59 PM
600RR
Burning Brakes

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

OK guys - here's the deal. Larry is not allowed to charge more than his cost, but we are not precluded from sending more if we wish to. So, what would be an appropriate amount? Or, we can each make that call individually, and that's OK with me.
Old 11-18-2011, 08:17 PM
77'3.6vram
Banned

Cool Just a thought

I know Lewis can not or won't ask for a reasonable amount of money for his time doing this for all of us Rennlisters,but that does not stop us from including something extra.I will be paying him and his wife $25.00 for each of the three units he has sent me.It is the right thing to do and still a very cheep price to pay for the issue it resolves.I hope everyone will do the same.
Old 11-18-2011, 09:01 PM
ltc
Super Moderator
Needs More Cowbell

Lifetime Rennlist

Originally Posted by 600RR
OK guys - here's the deal. Larry is not allowed to charge more than his cost, but we are not precluded from sending more if we wish to. So, what would be an appropriate amount? Or, we can each make that call individually, and that's OK with me.
Originally Posted by 77'3.6vram
I know Lewis can not or won't ask for a reasonable amount of money for his time doing this for all of us Rennlisters,but that does not stop us from including something extra.I will be paying him and his wife $25.00 for each of the three units he has sent me.It is the right thing to do and still a very cheep price to pay for the issue it resolves.I hope everyone will do the same.
Thank you for the generous offer, but it really isn't necessary.

I did this for the RL 993 community simply because it's something I was able to do (I've been doing electronics since before I was 10 yrs old) and therefore felt that offering to do so was the right thing to do.

My regret was simply not having enough waking hours in a day to finish these more quickly, that's all. I didn't want folks waiting or thinking I forgot. I didnt want to accept payment until the member received it and was happy with it. That is why I have tried to post regular updates.

I will upload all of the design files (schematic and PCB files) so anyone else can produce these. All of the part numbers are on the schematic and the enclosure info has been posted as well.
Old 11-18-2011, 10:14 PM
scphelps1
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

I recently searched regarding the dreaded SAI Check Engine light. Unfortunately, mine came on during one of the final runs of the season. If there is a second run, could you put me down for one complete unit plus enclosure?

I am completely amazed by your ability and generosity. I am anticipating sending more than the cost of the unit for your engineering ability and time that went into creating these.
Old 11-19-2011, 09:39 AM
Deadeye
Rennlist Member

Received 18 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by scphelps1

I am completely amazed by your ability and generosity. I am anticipating sending more than the cost of the unit for your engineering ability and time that went into creating these.
+ 993

Quick Reply: Recap of the SAI circuit