Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Recap of the SAI circuit

Search this Thread

Old 11-21-2011, 04:23 AM
Robert156
7th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

If you have issues with Secondary Air Injection ports being blocked or you want to remove the entire SAI system from your '96 - '98. '95s have the system but the ECU does not check if the system is working correctly.

The blocked ports issue shows up as OBD errors:

P0410 - Secondary Air Injection System: Malfunction
P1411 - Manufacturer specific code
Old 11-21-2011, 02:00 PM
fullbooker
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Thanks Lewis!

Got my unit in the mail. I'm a little challenged regarding the wireing; could you post a few more photos, a little more step-by-step, DIY, showing which wires are attached to the unit's connections, etc?
Oh yeah, money is in the mail!
Thanks,
Phil
Old 11-21-2011, 02:24 PM
ltc
Super Moderator
Needs More Cowbell

Lifetime Rennlist

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

The silkscreen on the PCB and the text comments on the schematic refer to wire colors and functions referenced by flying_low's install on the first post in this thread.

The single 2 terminal block on the left side of the board is for the switched 12V and GND inputs

The four 2 terminal blocks on the right side of the board are for connections to each O2 sensor. You will note that all the GND terminals are connected together, so you can run a single GND wire if you so chose. Also, by using an individual 2 terminal block for each O2 sensor, it allows for easier wiring if you chose to run shielded/twisted pair.

Again, my only contribution was to implement the circuit on a low cost PCB.
I don't have any mechanical experience on the installation of the unit.
Old 11-21-2011, 04:28 PM
Kaefer
Instructor

Received 11 Likes on 6 Posts

Lewis,

I received my SAI testers today and will be sending back your envelope tomorrow or the next day. Thanks again!
Old 11-21-2011, 06:17 PM
Jeff96-993
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Mine arrived in the mail today! Return envelope should be in tomorrow's mail. Thanks again!
Old 11-21-2011, 06:30 PM
ltc
Super Moderator
Needs More Cowbell

Lifetime Rennlist

Hi everyone.
I have received a PM from someone on the list who was waiting for me to PM each person on the list stating that the units were beginning to ship.

Rather than try and PM everyone (there is a limit of 25 recipients per PM max) individually, I instead thought that keeping this thread updated would be sufficient/
My apologies if this did not work out as intended.

I just sent out 4 PM's to everyone on the first list.
If you are on the first list and have already sent me your shipping information, please ignore the PM.
If not, please send me a PM with:

Your RL user/screen name (Ash's list was based off of these)
Name
Street Address
City, State, Zip.

Units are shipping in a 6x9 manilla envelope via USPS First Class parcel post. Inside each envelope will be a self addressed return envelope. Please use this to send payment (cash, check, money order, Starbucks or Dunkin Donuts coffee gift cards, etc....whatever is most convenient)

I have sent a couple of units to Canada; I merely have to fill out a customs declaration form at the post office and pay some additional shipping.

It seems as though the transit time has been pretty good so far, about 3-5 days in the US.
I would like to get these all shipped well before the start of the holiday shipping rush to help avoid lost packages.

Regards,
Old 11-21-2011, 06:42 PM
cabrio993
Race Car

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

Lewis, Got your PM and PM'ed you back. Sorry, been out of RL for while busy with work and crap. Thanks for doing this!!! Look forward to the tester!
Old 11-21-2011, 06:57 PM
Shahrams
Instructor

Lewis, received your PM and PM'd you back. It is the 2nd PM and I am not sure you received the first one from last week.
Please check and let me know if you received the Name and address information.
Many Thanks
Old 11-21-2011, 08:59 PM
ltc
Super Moderator
Needs More Cowbell

Lifetime Rennlist

Originally Posted by Shahrams
Lewis, received your PM and PM'd you back. It is the 2nd PM and I am not sure you received the first one from last week.
Please check and let me know if you received the Name and address information.
Many Thanks
Yes, please see post 285.
You were in that shipment
Old 11-21-2011, 09:03 PM
ltc
Super Moderator
Needs More Cowbell

Lifetime Rennlist

Default Tuesday 22 November shipment -- 11 orders

Hi,
The following RL member orders are packaged and will be going to the post office tomorrow morning (thanks to my bride)

Vincer77
Vr416v
Don Plumley
Cabrio993
Alpinadvl
Helmet993
AW21
CarreraX
RickLee
BW993
Air993
Old 11-21-2011, 09:05 PM
ltc
Super Moderator
Needs More Cowbell

Lifetime Rennlist

As of tonight, I believe there are 32 assembled and 1 Heathkit still awaiting address info; all others are in transit.

Please check back a few pages to see when your order was shipped.
Old 11-21-2011, 09:17 PM
LAT
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Please add me for 2 from the next batch.

This is the best forum out there.
Old 11-21-2011, 10:21 PM
earossi
Burning Brakes

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by ltc
The silkscreen on the PCB and the text comments on the schematic refer to wire colors and functions referenced by flying_low's install on the first post in this thread.

The single 2 terminal block on the left side of the board is for the switched 12V and GND inputs

The four 2 terminal blocks on the right side of the board are for connections to each O2 sensor. You will note that all the GND terminals are connected together, so you can run a single GND wire if you so chose. Also, by using an individual 2 terminal block for each O2 sensor, it allows for easier wiring if you chose to run shielded/twisted pair.

Again, my only contribution was to implement the circuit on a low cost PCB.
I don't have any mechanical experience on the installation of the unit.

Lewis,

Since the grounds for the O2 sensors are tied together, I can simply run a ground wire to the closest O2 connector, correct? And, then for the two O2 sensors on the opposite side of the engine bay, can I utilize a single shielded pair to pick up both O2 terminal connectors? Or, is there a possibility of cross talk between the two O2 sensors? Otherwise, it appears that I would have to run two shielded pairs across the engine compartment, right? I'm just trying to eliminate one 60 inch shielded pair from the mix.
Old 11-21-2011, 11:17 PM
william_b_noble
Burning Brakes

since you are using the circuit that puts the four FETs in one place, you could use CAT5 type cable with multiple twisted pairs - use one conductor of each of two pairs for the sensor signal and ground the others. that will give you a single cable and will provide reasonable shielding.

If you are building your own circuit, consider placing two FETs on the left, two on the right and just duplicating the diode/capacitor/resistor network that drives them - that way you minimize the wire length on the O2 sensors

bill

56 356A
97 993
several 944 (gone now, but they remain close)
Old 11-22-2011, 01:57 AM
william_b_noble
Burning Brakes

Default example homebrew

photo shows how to divide the circuit up into two pieces - seems to work, one less long wire to deal with

Last edited by william_b_noble; 07-22-2013 at 02:03 AM.

Quick Reply: Recap of the SAI circuit