Notices
993 Forum 1995-1998
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Shop accidentally swapped out LWF for DMF. Now what?

Search this Thread

Old 09-07-2011, 10:34 AM
inkatouring
Three Wheelin'

Received 59 Likes on 39 Posts

Originally Posted by BobTheZealot
Inkatouring, that'll be like a unicorn sighting . That combo is rare enough as it is, but in a coupe with sports seats? Have you come across any example even in forum archives?
I suppose that's why God invented people who sell used sport seats.....
Old 09-07-2011, 11:10 AM
nile13
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 95 Likes on 61 Posts

Mike, yes, the shop offered to fix it quickly, which was great. It'll cost him a bit, but honestly, that's probably won him a repeat customer in me (as opposed to having me rant about him on these boards).

Given the cost vs. benefit to offering to fix a mistake, I'm surprised that more shops don't act in this manner, especially in a more customer-centric culture like in the US (I just moved back from Asia -- forget about it over there).
I think the reason that they don't do it more often is... well... I find that mechanics generally have three desired traits: Ability to diagnose and fix things (brains/hands), ability to charge fair price and availability now, not in two or three weeks. There are no mechanic that possess all 3 qualities. If you find a mechanic with 2 out of 3 qualities, marry him immediately. If you are a man, marry somebody else, quickly have a daughter and make her marry him. You want one in the family. most mechanics, however, have only 1 or none of abovementioned traits.

It's a joke, of course, but that's what I tell my non-car friends who ask me how to find a good mechanic.

As far as Asia, actually, that's interesting. My Singapore friends rave about service in Asia. Of 5 times I've been in S'pore, HK and Thailand, I think it's been OK, but not outstanding. US service is sliding down the drain big time in the last 25+ years that I've observed. Europe... never had the word "service" in any of their dictionaries since, I think, the Inquisition.

PS. The shop's doing the right thing by you. I'm glad you are giving them the chance for redemption and consider them for future service. I would do the same.
Old 09-07-2011, 03:31 PM
Academictech
Rennlist Member

Received 49 Likes on 21 Posts

After 6 months of ownership and $12K worth of repairs....was it the same shop that did all of the work? Did they let you know the worn clutch could have been replaced without a huge expense the first time they put all of that labor into the car? I'd be looking for another shop.
Old 09-08-2011, 12:37 AM
BobTheZealot
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Mike - that's... interesting. Singapore is where I lived for 5 years (just moved back last year). Lots of great things about the place, but service ain't one of them. Anyway, that's a different topic.

Your point about mechanics is well taken. This one, despite his unfortunate propensity to add mass to flywheels, was spot on in his pressure plate diagnosis and may have my repeat business.

Academictech - nope, all different shops. In fact this, LWF/DMF shop was shocked to find out that the rebuild shop didn't bring up replacing the clutch.

Water under the bridge. Wasn't thrilled with the bills, but I really do love the car. I live in New York, which has to be the sh*ttiest place to own this car, what with the roads, the traffic, the weather, etc. And even with the bills and all that, I still have absolutely zero regrets about buying the 993. It just pleases me THAT much when I drive it.
Old 09-08-2011, 12:47 AM
MarkD
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Bob, I like your attitude

enjoy the 993!
Old 09-08-2011, 09:29 AM
Academictech
Rennlist Member

Received 49 Likes on 21 Posts

Good luck with your car Bob; there are some great roads just N of you here in CT to enjoy that car now that you have it all sorted out!
Old 09-08-2011, 05:11 PM
slider
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Prior Owner Disclosure

Bob - I'm surprised the pressure plate was the issue. I had the clutch, plate, etc changed when I had the LWF installed in 2007. strange. Glad to know you're not having any stalling issues. I did when the LWF was first installed, but changing the plugs and dizzy's really helped.
Old 09-08-2011, 07:23 PM
BobTheZealot
Intermediate

Thanks for the info, Joe.

It looks like the car had ~90k miles back in 2007. So, it needed a new clutch and plate in 4 years / 20k miles. That does seem strange. Is that anywhere near normal?

There was a creaking noise and free play at the top of the clutch pedal range. I asked if the noise could be the master cylinder - shop said the combination of play, noise and notchy shifting meant it was probably the pressure plate.

Now, the play is still there and I'm told it's normal. I've seen threads on the play here on RL - someone fixed it by inserting a ball bearing in a gap or something, if I recall.

While I'm at it, what's the labor hours for replacing one of the heat flapper boxes at the bottom of the engine?

This shop is recommended by several RLs, and the shop owner actually posts here. Maybe he'll see all this and explain.
Old 09-08-2011, 11:22 PM
mongrelcat
Drifting

It looks like the car had ~90k miles back in 2007. So, it needed a new clutch and plate in 4 years / 20k miles. That does seem strange. Is that anywhere near normal?
Way short of normal, it seems --
https://rennlist.com/forums/993-foru...utch-last.html

The original in my car went 60k, the second went another 70k and had a bit more life when I had it replaced earlier this Summer.
Old 09-09-2011, 01:38 AM
CalvinC4S
Drifting

Forget the flywheel mix up, there is a bigger issue.

@ 20k that RS Flywheel should have been just broken in.

My guess is someone botched the clutch fork R&R when the top end was rebuilt.

I could have taught my 4 year old daughter how to drive your car and these parts would not have failed in 20k. Pick up your parts.
Old 09-09-2011, 04:50 AM
Rialas
Instructor

Originally Posted by CalvinC4S
Pick up your parts.
+1
After the last couple of posts, I'd want to see the old parts.
Old 09-09-2011, 09:40 AM
Silver993
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Is there a way to tell whether a LWF or DMF is installed in a car, simply by inspection, without taking things apart?
Old 09-09-2011, 01:44 PM
slider
Rennlist Member

LWF's make a decernable rattle noise.
Old 09-10-2011, 12:07 AM
johnsjmc
Racer

Is the shop going to put your original LWF back in with a new clutch or supply a new flywheel and other parts required? The pressure plates are interchangeable the LWF uses a different disc and longer throwout bearing and some different bolts. If all new parts I would go for it as thats what you had and presumably liked
Old 09-11-2011, 01:00 AM
1pcarnut
Drifting

I'd get the LWF put back in. In other words, get what you asked for. Plus, memories fade, people come and go etc. so the longer you put off getting your "credit", the greater the likelihood of not getting what is due you.

Quick Reply: Shop accidentally swapped out LWF for DMF. Now what?