Notices
993 Forum 1995-1998

Shop accidentally swapped out LWF for DMF. Now what?

Search this Thread

Old 09-06-2011, 08:52 PM
BobTheZealot
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Shop accidentally swapped out LWF for DMF. Now what?

So, here's an interesting one.

My clutch was creaking on the way up and shifting was generally notchy. Took it to a reputable local shop and it was diagnosed as broken pressure plate.

We agreed the shop would replace the clutch along with the pressure plate. (This should have been done during the top end rebuild 5 months ago. I've now put in > $12k into a car I've had for 6 months -- whole other story.)

I'd mentioned to the owner over the phone but not in writing (e-mail) that the car had a LWF. Somehow, he ordered a regular clutch and DMF and his mechanic put it in, taking out my LWF.

I wasn't billed for the DMF, just for the clutch kit. I seemed to have one of three 95s on the planet with a LWF and no stalling whatsoever, so I'm pretty miffed it's been removed. I really liked the throttle response.

The shop owner has offered to redo the clutch install and put the LWF back in with a GT3 clutch at no expense. He's also offered to do other work instead (probably of value comparable to labor cost, which saves him the cost of another clutch kit, although it hasn't been agreed).

What would you do? I know part of this just depends on how much I want the LWF back in, but are there other useful upgrades that can be done? I have M030s with Bilstein HDs, HIDs, a working LSD. A short shift kit? Just take the credit for future jobs that will inevitably arise? Spare set of wheels for winter tires, if he has some lying around?

(I haven't mentioned the shop name, but just to make clear, I have no gripes with the shop whatsoever. It seems like an honest mistake and the owner's response has been about as good as I could have hoped for. The diagnosis of a broken pressure plate was spot on and shifting is now buttery smooth, if not as zippy as with the LWF.)

Curious to hear thoughts .
Old 09-06-2011, 09:45 PM
Rick Lee
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Why is this even a question? How can you live with a DMF after having had a LWF?
Old 09-06-2011, 10:31 PM
Mark in Baltimore
Rennlist Member

Received 496 Likes on 320 Posts

Originally Posted by Rick Lee
Why is this even a question? How can you live with a DMF after having had a LWF?
+1. Make the shop fix what they screwed up.
Old 09-06-2011, 10:56 PM
csertich
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Well, you liked what you had before better than what you have now. The shop owner seems like he's being straight up and you can return your car to the condition you prefer. You gotta go for it.

chuck
Old 09-06-2011, 11:16 PM
CalvinC4S
Drifting

Plain and simple, make them do it over if you requested a LWF.

Just out of curiosity do you have an alternative air box or did you remove the clutch vacuum/vent a substantial amount of miles prior to this failure?
Old 09-06-2011, 11:48 PM
inkatouring
Three Wheelin'

Received 59 Likes on 39 Posts

Originally Posted by Rick Lee
+993
Old 09-07-2011, 12:23 AM
BobTheZealot
Intermediate

Thanks for the feedback, gents.

I guess if I'd phrased the question this way: You've just been given a voucher for several hours of labor and some parts; on what do you spend it first? I wonder what the answers would have been. Probably LWFs all around :P.

@Calvin4S: I don't have an alternate air box, and I haven't removed the clutch vacuum in my 6 months of ownership. Why? The prior owners might have - do you have a theory?

@inkatouring: I have an Aventurine Green with cashmere interior, and I love the color combo. If there's one interior color that I'd trade for though, it'd be chestnut . Stunning combination.
Old 09-07-2011, 12:29 AM
inkatouring
Three Wheelin'

Received 59 Likes on 39 Posts

Originally Posted by BobTheZealot
@inkatouring: I have an Aventurine Green with cashmere interior, and I love the color combo. If there's one interior color that I'd trade for though, it'd be chestnut . Stunning combination.
Yeah, I like the aventurine/cashmere combo, but love it with chestnut. If a AG/cashmere coupe came along with sport seats, I might, just might, have to jump on it.
Old 09-07-2011, 01:22 AM
nile13
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 90 Likes on 57 Posts

I have a DMF car after having a LFW car. I'm just fine. It depends what you use the car for.

As to original question - hard to tell. Does the car need anything right now? What do you plan to use it for?

On related note, I think the shop is doing pretty good job rectifying their mistake. Very refreshing and nice to see that.
Old 09-07-2011, 03:52 AM
os993
Rennlist Member

Received 370 Likes on 226 Posts

Hmm, am I one of the 3 who has a '95 (early '95) with LWF and no stalling issues?? Granted, it did stall at first pass, but the good folks at TRG (Sonoma, CA) did some "tricks" to take care of this. almost 10yrs down the road with LWF and I will say with zero stalls (at least I can't remember any!)

Definitely get the LWF put back in. I like it and it's very drivable daily etc...
Old 09-07-2011, 04:27 AM
CalvinC4S
Drifting

Originally Posted by BobTheZealot
@Calvin4S: I don't have an alternate air box, and I haven't removed the clutch vacuum in my 6 months of ownership. Why? The prior owners might have - do you have a theory?
I was just curious as it seems with the 993 a pressure plate failure is uncommon, especially on the cars second clutch assuming the RS clutch was an upgrade to the original. $12,000 over 6 months of ownership seems harsh and I feel for you. That is not normal.
Old 09-07-2011, 04:30 AM
axl911
Drifting

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Yeah....nothing like the blipping the throttle on a heel-toe downshift with the LWF....watching the revs shoots up instantly then sliding the car into gear....back on the gas at the apex ..... and smile.
Old 09-07-2011, 09:08 AM
BobTheZealot
Intermediate

Mike, yes, the shop offered to fix it quickly, which was great. It'll cost him a bit, but honestly, that's probably won him a repeat customer in me (as opposed to having me rant about him on these boards).

Given the cost vs. benefit to offering to fix a mistake, I'm surprised that more shops don't act in this manner, especially in a more customer-centric culture like in the US (I just moved back from Asia -- forget about it over there).

Calvin, the car has 110k miles, so the second clutch could have been put in a while ago. But thank you - will investigate further. Yeah, $12k was certainly not a figure I was expecting to spend. About half of that was known going in (top end rebuild). I guess on the plus side, the car is great shape now - definitely see myself hanging on to it for a while.

Inkatouring, that'll be like a unicorn sighting . That combo is rare enough as it is, but in a coupe with sports seats? Have you come across any example even in forum archives?
Old 09-07-2011, 09:37 AM
Floodj
Rennlist Member

The other upgrades you mentioned are not as costly as the LWF. This seems like a no brianer to me.
Old 09-07-2011, 09:47 AM
friar93
Burning Brakes

Received 30 Likes on 15 Posts

why dont you drive with the DMF for a bit. if it bothers you now it will always bother you and so, get it done.

if it doesnt bother you and you barely notice then bank the credits and use them when you need them...knowing of course that theres always a risk the shop might not be able to honor your future requests(new owners, financial troubles, too much time passed, etc)

Quick Reply: Shop accidentally swapped out LWF for DMF. Now what?