Sponsored by:

993 Alignment question

Search this Thread

Old 09-08-2011, 09:27 PM
Hank Cohn
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

I learned a ton from Chris back when I was building and racing 993s. He was not my only mentor but he is a great driver, engineer and mechanic and really knew the 993 platform. I do hope it helps some folks. When these cars are set up right, they are truly a joy to drive.

Hank
Old 09-08-2011, 09:52 PM
ironimages
Three Wheelin'

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Thanks for posting that Hank, I did look up the original thread and it has a ton of info. The information that Chris posted about the sway bars, answers a question that I have had for a few years now. Thanks again.
Old 09-09-2011, 12:56 PM
Gunter
Racer

Thumbs up

Thanks all for the excellent detailed replies which I saved for future reference.
Old 09-09-2011, 01:23 PM
Stealth 993
Nordschleife Master

Received 208 Likes on 126 Posts

Originally Posted by Bill Verburg
I've found 993s to be very numb wrt self centering it helps a lot to have max available caster(I've never been able to get mine to max spec for caster), RS uprights and monoball tierods.

a little more scrub radius helps too
Yea, I bet all the RS pieces help! Sadly they are not in the budget, not sure they are best for a car set @ ROW height. I run a lot of caster, but don't think it's maxed.

Originally Posted by D666S
Sorry when I say quite lower offset I mean 16 in the rear. I' have very wide arches and using 930 Fuchs wheels.

Stealth, coincidentally my car is a 993 C4 with RS suspension specs. I copied RS geometry specs but car always understeer a lot, I trailbraking quite good but impossible to make it rotate quickly and I don't want to stiff the rear anti-roll bar which produces much of the effects that you described!.

Thanks guys for your quick and help.

David
Tire offset should not affect alignment at all. More aggressive offsets can help with stability, but with a C4 it should be very stable. Adjusting the rear bar should not make the car feel like that. You may way to loosen up the front bar. My bars are not adjustable.

Rs is a good start, try running less toe, run higher rear tire pressure, get a lot of front camber. My car (95 C4) is my Auto-X car, & this year I'm undefeated, routinely beat Gt3's. I have almost no understeer, & can have the back end come out when I want. I do have a little low speed tight turning understeer, dabbing the brakes helps as you turn.

What I found with the C4, go into a turn hard, & fast, brake heavy as you turn in, as soon as the suspension sets, roll onto the gas & stay on it as you exit. I'm usually WOT right before the apex.

My specs..
Factory M030 car with LSD, ROW M030 shocks/springs, US M030 bars, RS strut brace, Walrod bushings, 18in TT wheels 225/265 Yoko AD08 rubber.
ROW ride height, 1.25 all round camber, 0 toe F/R, lots of caster, 34 psi front pressure, 38psi rear pressure.

From my last auto-X, came in 1st in class, by over 1.5 sec.
Old 09-09-2011, 03:27 PM
D666S
Instructor

Location: San Sebastián de los Reyes, Madrid (Kingdom of Spain)
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Sorry Mike, WOT??
Old 09-09-2011, 05:10 PM
trophy
Race Car

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

WOT = Wide Open Throttle.
Old 09-10-2011, 01:00 PM
D666S
Instructor

Thanks Steven and Stealth, really appreciate your experienced information.

Stealth you have PM.

David
Old 09-10-2011, 03:08 PM
Bill Verburg
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 569 Likes on 392 Posts

Originally Posted by D666S
Sorry when I say quite lower offset I mean 16 in the rear. I' have very wide arches and using 930 Fuchs wheels.

Stealth, coincidentally my car is a 993 C4 with RS suspension specs. I copied RS geometry specs but car always understeer a lot, I trailbraking quite good but impossible to make it rotate quickly and I don't want to stiff the rear anti-roll bar which produces much of the effects that you described!.

Thanks guys for your quick and help.

David
AWD adds to any inherent understeer in a chassis and all 993 are basic understeerers anyway w/ stock suspension

if you are using really low ET front wheels you have dramatically changed the geometry of the steering, your instant centers and scrub radius are nowhere near where they would need to be for best handling.

The GT2 EVOs use the outer holes for the side members to maintain reasonable scrub radius and instant center positioning. Then they use 10x18 ET32 245/645 tires & 11x18 ET14 325/680 tires to fill the wheel wells

alignment depends on the tire, for Pirelli
front
ground clearance 96mm
toe -5' total
camber -4* 10' each side
caster 4*30' max same both sides

rear
ground clearance 93mm
toe -35' total
camber -3* 45' each side
caster 3.5* max same both sides

camber
Old 09-12-2011, 07:40 AM
D666S
Instructor

Very useful Bill, thanks!!
Old 09-17-2011, 01:07 PM
Gunter
Racer

Question

Originally Posted by Bill Verburg
I've found 993s to be very numb wrt self centering it helps a lot to have max available caster(I've never been able to get mine to max spec for caster),
So, Maximum Caster is desirable?

I compare Caster to the angle of the head-set on the front of a bicycle: More angle means more stability and resistance to turning the front wheel.
Touring bike: Pronounced angle and long wheel base.
Racing bike: Less angle and short wheel base, criteria frame.

My 911 without power steering shows Caster as 6*5' in the manual for good self-centering and when Caster is reduced, steering is more responsive but also slower self-centering.

How is it that the Caster for 993 with power steering is less than for the older 911 without power steering?
Old 09-17-2011, 06:55 PM
Bill Verburg
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 569 Likes on 392 Posts

Originally Posted by Gunter
So, Maximum Caster is desirable?
generally speaking for most users most of the time, yes

I compare Caster to the angle of the head-set on the front of a bicycle: More angle means more stability and resistance to turning the front wheel.
Touring bike: Pronounced angle and long wheel base.
Racing bike: Less angle and short wheel base, criteria frame.
correct

My 911 without power steering shows Caster as 6*5' in the manual for good self-centering and when Caster is reduced, steering is more responsive but also slower self-centering.

How is it that the Caster for 993 with power steering is less than for the older 911 without power steering?
caster doesn't not exist in a vacuum, the entire front end of the 964 was redesigned from the 911, for instance scrub radius was changed from (+) to (-) caster and camber were both reduced and p/s added. The design goal for the 993 was to enhance the sporting feel so steering was quickened over 964, scrub radius increased to -10mm, caster increased to 5*20', track widened by 25mm, camber increased to -20', stiffer steering arm bushes, less toe, quicker steering rack. All these changes add up to fulfill the design goal of sportier handling but still w/ the stability expected at speed. The RS received a slower steering rack to enhance it perceived higher top speed steadiness though I've never had issues even on extremely long straights such as at Monticello.

Quick Reply: 993 Alignment question