Sponsored by:

suspension advice

Search this Thread

Old 08-27-2011, 06:21 PM
mikej
Track Day

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default suspension advice

I recently purchased a 1996 C2 (pics were posted!) with 65K miles, and am now contemplating upgrades (and so it begins...).

Car currently has stock Monroes, with Eibach springs, so ride height is lower than stock. So, first stop is upgrading from the Monroes which are a bit tired. So the question is, what are folk's experience with Koni FSD & Eibach spring combination?

The car is intended for daily driving, with occasional autoX.

Thanks!
Mike
Old 08-27-2011, 06:28 PM
Ed Hughes
Rennlist Member

Received 80 Likes on 54 Posts

The Konis were backordered big time recently. Bilstein HD's and Porsche ROW springs are popular upgrades, as are PSS10's. Some of the pros say Eibachs sag over time.
Old 08-27-2011, 06:43 PM
Steve Weiner-Rennsport Systems
RL Technical Advisor

Received 64 Likes on 48 Posts

Originally Posted by Ed Hughes
Some of the pros say Eibachs sag over time.
Totally agree, for that reason, we will not sell nor install any Eibach street springs.

Their racing (ERS) springs are terrific.
Old 08-27-2011, 06:49 PM
P-daddy
Rennlist Member

Received 477 Likes on 282 Posts

Bilstein HDs and M030 and I'm loving it!
Old 08-27-2011, 07:50 PM
mikej
Track Day

P-daddy,

That was another possibility. As a daily driver, how would the ride be with M030?
Old 08-27-2011, 08:07 PM
Ed Hughes
Rennlist Member

Received 80 Likes on 54 Posts

That was one of the Porsche ROW upgrades I cited. MO30 and MO33. I've got HD's and a set of MO33's in the garage waiting for me to put the car on the lift and wrench. The MO33 would be the lower version of stock springs, with MO30 the sport version. I'm really considering talking to Bilstein about revalving a bit softer before putting them on.

There are pros and cons on both sides, and it is always subjective. There are people in the 911 world that would consider my suspension on the Targa too harsh. I find it perfect for how I use that car. Rides/drives in the various combos are the ultimate way to choose.
Old 08-27-2011, 08:41 PM
P-daddy
Rennlist Member

Mike,
Ride quality is very subjective. Some folks say the HDs with Euro M030 are too harsh......yeah if you are used to driving a Lexus or Cadi. Me personally, I love the firm ride and have no complaint whatsoever. I don't think they're harsh or stiff at all. If you daily drive on bad roads, probably not a good idea to lower too much. Here in the DC metro area, we don't have the smoothest of roads, and I'm perfectly content with this set up. Check out my ride height in my avitar pic. Hope that helps.
P
Originally Posted by mikej
P-daddy,

That was another possibility. As a daily driver, how would the ride be with M030?
Old 08-27-2011, 08:47 PM
P-daddy
Rennlist Member

Oh one more....depending on how old your Eibachs are, I would replace them while you're there:
Opt 1 FSD/Euro M033
Opt 2 HD/Euro M030
Old 08-27-2011, 09:45 PM
csmab
Rennlist Member

Received 44 Likes on 23 Posts

M033 and Koni FSD here. I have loved the 2,000 miles I have put on them. Nice balance between sport and comfort. At least that is my opinion.
Old 08-27-2011, 10:12 PM
mongrelcat
Drifting

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I recently purchased a 1996 C2 (pics were posted!) with 65K miles, and am now contemplating upgrades (and so it begins...).

Car currently has stock Monroes, with Eibach springs, so ride height is lower than stock. So, first stop is upgrading from the Monroes which are a bit tired. So the question is, what are folk's experience with Koni FSD & Eibach spring combination?

The car is intended for daily driving, with occasional autoX.

Thanks!
Mike
You might want to include your location in your profile. I'd suggest you try as many options as you can before committing.

My car has HD/RoW M030 and I would not recommend that setup unless your streets are as smooth as a race track...

I've seen nothing but good reviews for the Koni's.

For a dual-purpose car PSS-10 or KW or Motion seem (to me) to be the right upgrade path.
Old 08-27-2011, 10:24 PM
mikej
Track Day

Thank you all!!

I previously had a Mini Cooper S which was pretty stiff and a blast to drive. My 993 actually rides "softer", so a bit stiffer will probably suit me better. I'm in the SF bay area peninsula, which has some pretty ugly roads; harsh in the Mini but pretty smooth in the 993. Ed's comment regarding the Konis is something I hadn't known, so will give the HDs a serious look. And I'm not committed to the current Eibachs. I clearly have a bit more homework to do, which is part of the fun
Old 08-28-2011, 11:05 AM
Ed Burdell
Rennlist Member

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Another vote for HDs/ROW M030's. Some of Atlanta's secondary roads are pretty beat up, and I still have all the fillings in my teeth. Seriously, 99.9% of the time the ride is as smooth as you'd want it to be, yet you still get the crisp handling that you want. On beat up roads (metal plates covering exposed roadwork, potholes, pavement with vertical displacement over 2", etc.), it's a pretty rough ride for almost any car. Just slow down over these, and you'll be good.
Old 08-28-2011, 11:27 AM
IXLR8
Rennlist Member

Received 686 Likes on 478 Posts

So the question is, what are folk's experience with Koni FSD?
Good post as it got me searching other RL threads on the Koni FSD.

Finally, an alternative to Bilstein HDs initiated 9 pages of discussion.

Post #102 on page 7 of the above thread provided quite a bit of information.

Its sounding more like the shock I would want without giving up too much ride height. Now to determine which springs to get to go along with the Koni FSDs. From the Koni FSD page, they state "FSD kit must be used with stock height suspension", yet on the "Our Products - FSD / Eibach Kits" page, they state "Pair with Eibach springs for 1"-1.5" lowering". Go figure!

I was planning on Bilstein HDs as replacement for my stock units. I've driven a 993 with them and M0?? springs. It was a nice ride but I'm not keen on the sway bar perch rotating and then driving itself into the rear suspension as some have reported on RL.

Last edited by IXLR8; 08-28-2011 at 12:04 PM. Reason: Added quotes from Koni USA site on ride height.
Old 08-28-2011, 12:59 PM
Leon993
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Billstein HDs here, and you can lower the car quite a bit with same springs.
Old 08-28-2011, 01:08 PM
chaoscreature
Burning Brakes

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I would recommend either the PSS10's or the JIC-Cross suspensions for their adjustability and price point. The JIC's can be ordered with any spring stiffness you want. I know some people with PSS9's and PSS10's, both are wonderufl systems and a great compromise for street/track.
I third the opinion that you should try out some cars with different suspension sets and see what you like before taking the plunge.
It's easy to swap out suspensions in the 993's btw.

Quick Reply: suspension advice