993 Forum 1995-1998

Not Kuehl...

Search this Thread

Old 08-27-2011, 02:16 PM
helmet993
Racer

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts
Thumbs down Not Kuehl...

...how poorly the evaporator temp sensor fits into the Griffiths Kuehl Serpentine evaporator.

I do think the instructions on how to bend the evaporator temp sensor are backwards, the tip should be pointing up IMHO as you insert it into the evaporator, otherwise with the tip bent "down" as shown in the instructions it is more likely to contact the 2nd serpentine row as it points right to it.

This setup is the most frustrating piece of this evaporator DIY. Everything else has been easy in comparison, crazy huh.

So two options, use the sticky goo supplied and live with it, or pull the airbox out again and fix the fins so they are not all jammed up and start over!!! Woo-hoo!!!!

Last edited by helmet993; 08-27-2011 at 03:35 PM. Reason: Convinced the bend goes the wrong way!
Old 08-28-2011, 01:52 PM
Falcondrivr
Race Car

Received 70 Likes on 36 Posts

My shop lengthened the wires to the sensor and then inserted it down into the middle of the evaporator. It works wonderfully. You can access the area through the right side pollen filter without having to dismantle the air box.
Old 08-28-2011, 03:17 PM
helmet993
Racer

After searching there are a number of people who have had the same problem...After looking very closely at it, the instructions are wrong, the bend should go up, not down. I sent an email to Griffiths and will follow up after talking to him on Monday.
Old 08-29-2011, 09:30 AM
jhummel68
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

I mentioned the same thing to them a year and a half ago when I installed mine. The guy that I talked to said it would be changed. I guess it takes a little time.
Old 09-14-2011, 07:58 PM
helmet993
Racer

To confirm for any future installs of this...the evaporator temp sensor tip must be curved upward, so when fully inserted the sensor is horizontal to the fins in the Kuehl serpentine evaporator. Mine fit perfectly in the stock grommet after slowly bending it a little more each time and watching it with an inspection mirror to make sure it went in properly.

Quick Reply: Not Kuehl...