Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

differential (?) whine after changing clutch

Search this Thread

Old 09-28-2011, 02:31 AM
william_b_noble
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

"interference fit"?? from what I can tell from the manual, there is a "pressing (constant value) that is .40 mm - but there is no hint whre that value came from - if that means 40 mm preload, then I can handle that easily enough, I think, though I'll have to dredge up some thinner shims - I guess this doesn't seem all that hard, the real question in my mind now is, is the bearing preload .040? I guess I can look up the bearings in the bearing manual
Old 10-03-2011, 02:54 AM
william_b_noble
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

today I completed changing the bearings, axles (cracked CV boots) and installed a new differential that looked and felt good - I didn't disassemble it to check the rollers but I didn't feel anyting odd turning the spider gears by hand. I put the new and old differentials on my surface plate and indicated to the bearing seats and to the ring gear mount - all features of the new one were within .001" of the same feature on the old differential, and the bearings were identical to within the accuracy of my micrometer (.0002) so I just reused the same shims and put it back in the case and filled with a gallon of cheap synthetic G50 oil - I figure in a week or so I'll drain it out and put in mobil 1 or something. The whine is not better, but a rattling sound that I now attribute to slop due to the shattered rollers has disappeared. I suppose that tells me that the pinion bearing or other bearings may be bad, or at least brinelled.

I'm getting disgusted now - maybe it's time to go back to my 356 and a lot less power (and 45 mpg) ... and no AC, of course....

Quick Reply: differential (?) whine after changing clutch