Sponsored by:

Odometer stopped working...

Search this Thread

Old 08-21-2011, 01:20 AM
seacliff
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Odometer stopped working...

Driving this morning I noticed that my odometer on my 95 993 Carrera 2 was no longer turning miles - same for the trip odometer. Either there's a problem with the dash instrumentation or the assembly or connection in the drivetrain somehow has become loose or disconnected. No other problems noted with the car, which has about 107K miles on it. Just wondering if anyone out there has had to deal with this problem and whether the likely culprit is either in the dash or drivetrain. Is this an expensive fix to do? Although I'd love to have time stand still with the mileage, don't get me wrong....!!!
Old 08-21-2011, 01:37 AM
Chuck W.
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 357 Likes on 211 Posts

Happens a lot. Here you go.....

http://p-car.com/diy/odometer/
Old 08-21-2011, 02:39 PM
seacliff
Intermediate

Thanks much for the link, Chuck. I'll take a look.
Old 08-21-2011, 03:01 PM
Spidey 993

Seacliff, I ran into the same issue. I tried to reset my trip odometer while driving, which oddly killed my odometer and trip meter at the same time. So l lost maybe 2 miles or so.

I ordered the part via the link above from Chuck. I followed the DIY to the tee, and was able to get it fixed all within 1.5 hours. I didn't break the speedometer in the process which is the only real fear.

Super easy in my book, since my skills are pretty rookie (but building!)
Old 08-21-2011, 03:22 PM
seacliff
Intermediate

Thanks for sharing your experience Tony. I read the instructions on p-car and yes, the speedometer needle removal and replacement once done with the gear seems to be the only tricky part. I reread the needle removal step a couple times and am still getting a feel for the movement described - seems you always have to be gently rotating it at the same time you gently pull/push in order to ensure no breakage.

I will definitely give this a shot - think I'm also going to replace both the gear and pod as one of the people giving feedback on the p-car page suggests...
Old 08-21-2011, 03:34 PM
Spidey 993

Glad to help.

Yes, as you rotate that speedometer to the right, past 200MPH you start to feel like your gonna break it off. However, it takes about 2 full 360 degree turns while you gently give pulling pressure. Same thing when putting it back on.

I'm not sure about needing the gear and pod. Mine gear had a broken tooth and very discolored as the DIY mentions from the oil residue. I just popped it back on the pod (it looked brand new still) and started putting it all back together.

One other step really bothered me, removing the trim ring. Gotta be careful there or you can really tear that up. Take your time and it should go smooth.

Old 08-21-2011, 03:48 PM
abiazis
Rennlist Member

Received 765 Likes on 558 Posts

Good idea to replace gear and pod.....mine took about 1.5 hours with the trickiest part for me of getting the speedometer ring off the casing with a small screwdriver without causing damage....that took me a half an hour at least.....needle was not as tricky as stated, but delicate....just turn with finger and pull gently at the same time and reverse that when reassembling.........good savings to do it yourself and you can autograph the speedometer casing to leave your mark................I also took the clock out first and pushed out the speedometer from behind...that was a great tip.........have fun.......

Quick Reply: Odometer stopped working...