Notices
993 Forum 1995-1998

Rattle in Defroster and Climate Control Fan--Debris?

Search this Thread

Old 12-13-2004, 04:58 PM
ventoGT
Three Wheelin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Rattle in Defroster and Climate Control Fan--Debris?

Hi All--

I have noticed a strange rattle in my Climate Control Fan and defroster--when the speed is on 3 or 4 [Or the Defroster gets turned on], it sounds like leaves or pine straw are getting thrown around in there. It recently started happening after 3 months of ownership. I have shined a flashlight in, can't see any objects in either the fan or the defrost areas. I also checked the fresh air scoop and nothing is obstructing it.

On a possibly-related note, I have noticed some bits and pieces of small, black/charcoal bits [very thin pieces of carbon-looking material, kind of like the old credit card carbon receipt-backs if that makes sense] show up on the dash from time to time.....wondering if these are related to this noise and if the pollen filter is disintegrating or something.

If anyone has any insight, it would be appreciated as the noise is driving me nuts
Old 12-14-2004, 12:56 PM
ventoGT
Three Wheelin'

Anyone? I tried several searches but didn't see anything remotely related to this problem...
Old 12-14-2004, 01:40 PM
mnmblu
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The air intake has charchol filters that need to be replaced every so often, forgot how often though. Maybe this is your problem, not sure but you should check it out if you were not aware of this. I had the same problem when I first got the car, they checked it out, changed the filters and the prob went away. Now, I am not sure if they did anything else at that time that might have fixed the prob. I just assumed that it was the filters since they replaced them. Again, this is just a guess on my part.
Old 12-14-2004, 01:50 PM
kkim
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Cole,

Try checking your pollen filters. There is a DIY on Robin's site on changing them. Can't help you with the location of the blower motor itself, though.

Good luck.
Old 12-14-2004, 01:58 PM
Ray Calvo
Passed On
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

On an old Audi I had a case where the bearings in the fan motor were shot, allowing the motor shaft to move axially and the fan blades were clobbering the fan housing. Had to replace the fan motor. Might be a similar situation.
Old 12-14-2004, 03:05 PM
ventoGT
Three Wheelin'

Thanks All--it sounds like Kelly/Alan could be right...the pieces are probably from the charcoal filter--I'll check out Robin's site and see if I can give that a try--thanks for the help!
Old 03-04-2010, 02:51 PM
993Dave
Rennlist Member

Received 16 Likes on 12 Posts

Sorry to revive a really old thread, but I am having exactly the issue described above. The defroster is blowing little bits of black stuff out. I am going to presume that it is not a huge deal, but it's annoying and I'd like to replace whatever has disintegrated if possible. I searched but haven't found any other references to a charcoal filter in the climate control system. Any advice would be much appreciated.
Old 08-21-2011, 05:41 PM
vincer77
Rennlist Member

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

I am experiencing this problem now also. Has anyone been able to confirm the source of the black material?

Quick Reply: Rattle in Defroster and Climate Control Fan--Debris?