Notices
993 Forum 1995-1998

Using Paypal for payment, SOP (standard operating procedure)

Search this Thread

Old 08-11-2011, 01:08 PM
Falcondrivr
Race Car

Received 70 Likes on 36 Posts

Send him $4 and a baby bottle.
Old 08-11-2011, 03:35 PM
speedy88
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by nile13
I think neither seller, no buyer clearly understand how PayPal work.

The seller's issue is obvious. If you negotiated a price, sent an invoice and did not mention anything about fees, you get a payment by any means the buyer feels appropriate. And that's exactly what happened.

The buyer, however, states: "I paid for it through my debit card (link to my bank account)." the very fact that the bank account is mentioned leads me to believe (perhaps incorrectly) that some something might have been discussed regarding Personal payment. If so, the payment could have been fee-free if buyer paid from his linked bank account _without_ using debit card. Maybe OP/buyer will enlighten us.

In general, use of debit cards perplexes me, especially vis a vis Paypal. It gives no added protection of a credit card. It takes money directly from your bank account anyway. If you already have a linked account, pay from it directly and avoid the fees. PayPal is evil (and I say it as a customer for the last 12+ years).
Correct me if I am wrong, paying via credit card OR debit card/bank account, Paypal charges their fees. Only a PERSONAL TRANSFER is free, but you don't get any buyer's protection. The seller "thinks" if I used my debit card/bank account, there would be no fees. I didn't disclose that I used a credit card or debit card/bank account when I paid for it. For large purchases, I usually pay via credit card, but with this purchase (small amount) and with a Rennlist member, I thought it would be OK to use a debit card/bank account transfer. The seller is complaining about $2.21. Ironically, most of us have Porsches. It is not like we have a KIAs (in advance, sorry if I offend anyone here that owns a KIA).

Thanks for your inputs.
Old 08-11-2011, 04:00 PM
Mark in Baltimore
Rennlist Member

Received 497 Likes on 320 Posts

$2.21! It gets even better!
Old 08-11-2011, 04:00 PM
nile13
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 90 Likes on 57 Posts

You are correct. Paying via credit or debit card will always incur a fee. Even doing a Personal payment, if you pay via debit card from the linked account there will be a fee. As opposed to paying directly from the linked account. That's why when I saw that you've mentioned both the debit card _and_ the linked account, it appears that there is confusion there.

There is, indeed, absolutely no protection if you use Personal transfer as "Gift". Clearly the seller thinks incorrectly, as non-Personal transfer will cause a fee no matter what. Not seeing what you guys have discussed specifically, it clearly appears that you did everything properly.

Now, of PayPal and Porsches. I hate PayPal. I really do. I can go into details as to why, but it's one of the worst companies that I've had a misfortune to deal with and, by far, the worst financial company. And that includes dealing with some Eastern European and African "banks" among other things. They were just evil beyond any comprehension. They have gotten better since eBay bought them. I'd even venture to say they've gotten much better customer-service wise. But their fees are still exorbitant and their business practices are outright unlawful (monopoly with eBay is one example, but this entire "we're not a bank, we are not under FDIC rules" overture is very old and smelly). So I would jump through a number of hoops before I would let them have even $0.12 in any fees. And that might very well be what the seller feels.

Or it might not. The bottom line is that in absence of another agreement stating otherwise you did _exactly_ what you should have done. The only thing is I'd use credit car on principle alone. Let them make money instead of PayPal and give me back my 1%
Old 08-11-2011, 04:08 PM
speedy88
Banned

Originally Posted by Mark in Baltimore
$2.21! It gets even better!
Ha, ha! I know. It blows my mind too! It is more frustration on my end than anything else. Why even complaint about it.
Old 08-11-2011, 04:19 PM
SeanR
Rennlist Member

Received 500 Likes on 267 Posts

If this guy is crying about $2.21, I hope he never has an invoice for $3,000.00 that he sends out. Hari kari might occur.
Old 08-12-2011, 11:14 AM
mcipseric
Three Wheelin'

Received 19 Likes on 11 Posts

I want my 2 dollars!
Name that movie!

NO 3 dollars!.....
Old 08-12-2011, 11:24 AM
Falcondrivr
Race Car

Received 70 Likes on 36 Posts

"Better off dead" John Cusak, 198...5?
What do i win?
Old 08-12-2011, 11:37 AM
mcipseric
Three Wheelin'

Received 19 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by Falcondrivr
"Better off dead" John Cusak, 198...5?
What do i win?
Winner Winner!
Old 08-12-2011, 01:09 PM
Stealth 993
Nordschleife Master

Received 208 Likes on 126 Posts

This is just stupid!!!

Fees are just part of using Paypal. Everyone knows they are there. I dislike people who try to charge the buyer the fees. Just price your things to take the fee in mind.

I just sold a nice part to another Rennlister. We agreed on price & shipping. He paypalled me. When I went to ship, my post office was closed due to new hours. So I had to ship it Fedex later. It was $16 more to ship FedEx. Sometimes, you just got to eat it & know things will level out later.

I would send him his $2.21 in pennies, not all at one time, send him .10 cents at a time.
Old 08-12-2011, 01:19 PM
J.B.H.
Rennlist Member

I could be wrong on this but...Non-Subscribing Rennlisters members should not be using Rennlist for buying and selling of goods with subscribing members...
Buying and selling on the site is a privialege for those who payed the membership fee ($18 per YEAR)

Last edited by J.B.H.; 08-12-2011 at 01:25 PM. Reason: .
Old 08-12-2011, 01:22 PM
gonzilla
Rennlist Member

Received 101 Likes on 66 Posts

Old 08-12-2011, 02:21 PM
speedy88
Banned

Originally Posted by J.B.H.
I could be wrong on this but...Non-Subscribing Rennlisters members should not be using Rennlist for buying and selling of goods with subscribing members...
Buying and selling on the site is a privialege for those who payed the membership fee ($18 per YEAR)
I think you have to be a Rennlist to post ads in the classifieds, wouldn't make sense if your market is limited to members only (as a seller).

I agreed that Paypal and eBay are evil companies, it is so commercialized. Probably only 20% are private party auctions. Just so my Scotty putter for$ 520, my net was about$ 460 when all the fees were paid! Oh well, se la vie!
The following users liked this post:
dchyung (04-29-2023)
Old 08-12-2011, 02:49 PM
vincer77
Rennlist Member

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Maybe we can find 221 rennlisters that can each send a penny to the guy.
Old 08-12-2011, 02:59 PM
John85Cabrio
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

red96m3 eBay SCAM ALERT

Apologies for this being my first post. I just found this forum yesterday as a result of an ongoing Google search I have on an eBay seller named red96m3. At first I wasn't sure, but now I am 99% sure this is likely the same eBay seller who sold me a knock-off golf club that was represented as authentic. I can't go into detail due to potential legal action, but am concerned about others doing business with red96m3 the eBay seller (who is absolutely miserable to do business with).

Quick Reply: Using Paypal for payment, SOP (standard operating procedure)