Notices
993 Forum 1995-1998

Mobil 1 15W-50 5 Quart Jug Comeback?

Search this Thread

Old 08-07-2011, 10:05 PM
Ed Hughes
Rennlist Member

Received 77 Likes on 51 Posts

Walmart is the poster child for how this country is dying a fast death. They pay their employees crap, they sell crap at low prices driving reputable companies into the ground. All of this helps to continue killing US manufacturing jobs and pump up the trade deficit, while putting more debris in the landfills. Some data shows that a typical Walmart store costs US taxpayers almost $500,000 in welfare subsidies, as their employees can't make a decent wage.

Sure, they aren't the entire problem, but they are representative of it. Unfortunately, there are too many US "citizens" that keep them in business, because they don't understand value. Take a look at the "typical" Walmart shopper-what a great representation of our society.
Old 08-07-2011, 10:09 PM
IXLR8
Rennlist Member

Received 646 Likes on 449 Posts

Originally Posted by slickster85
OK, so we also buy gas and look at the oil spills and clean-ups...or lack thereof. Take it one step further...look at the politics of oil.
Old 08-07-2011, 10:13 PM
IXLR8
Rennlist Member

Received 646 Likes on 449 Posts

Originally Posted by Ed Hughes
Take a look at the "typical" Walmart shopper-what a great representation of our society.
Thank you!

I buy my oil there and a few other items. Those so-called el-cheapo shirts have lasted countless washings and years later, I'm still wearing them. Would you rather I buy grossly overpriced Tommy Stinkyfinger shirts made off shore?
Old 08-07-2011, 10:26 PM
NP993
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Walmart is the poster child for how this country is dying a fast death. They pay their employees crap, they sell crap at low prices driving reputable companies into the ground. All of this helps to continue killing US manufacturing jobs and pump up the trade deficit, while putting more debris in the landfills. Some data shows that a typical Walmart store costs US taxpayers almost $500,000 in welfare subsidies, as their employees can't make a decent wage.

Sure, they aren't the entire problem, but they are representative of it. Unfortunately, there are too many US "citizens" that keep them in business, because they don't understand value. Take a look at the "typical" Walmart shopper-what a great representation of our society.
This is quite a feat -- a combination of leftist economic illiteracy, plus outrage over illegal immigration. You don't normally see those things together.

I would suggest that the affluent Porsche drivers on this thread who are mightily offended that poor people save thousands of dollars a year shopping at Wal-Mart, click here:

http://reason.com/blog/2011/04/28/re...war-on-walmart
Old 08-07-2011, 11:13 PM
Rick Lee
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I'm happy to shop at Wal-Mart. I want profitable businesses to stay in business and keep employing people where I live. I have met some great WM employees, both in the automotive and gun departments. I usually only go there for oil and ammo. I did buy a rifle there once (Ruger, made in AZ), couldn't pass up the deal. I'm also glad to see such a huge selection of bargain shopping for people who are not as well off as I am. I can afford to shop elsewhere. But I don't understand the logic of how paying $8.75 per qt. of oil at another chain store like AutoZone is helping our country more than paying $23.50 for a 5 qt. jug at WM is. Call me crazy. The more WM haters I read about, the happier I am to shop there. I guess the expensive places need the WM haters.
Old 08-07-2011, 11:15 PM
nile13
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 90 Likes on 57 Posts

So don't shop at Walmart if you don't like it. Leave the rest of us alone with our choices.

And, oh, the great alternative to buy Mobil1 would be... let's see... Autozone, Pepboys, etc? They are no better than Walmart in most respects but somehow get a pass from righteous indignation?
Old 08-07-2011, 11:17 PM
FlatSix911
Nordschleife Master

Received 17 Likes on 14 Posts

Typical Libtard response to the free market ...
Learn to compete or find someone else who will.
Old 08-07-2011, 11:27 PM
PorscheDoc
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

As an alternative to Walmart (which I do buy Dickies, oil and ammo from, LOL), the auto stores (usually one of the 4 or 5 at any given time) will run a mobil 1 special once a month, usually giving you 5 quarts and a filter for about 30 bucks, so that isn't a horrible deal, though not quite as good as the walmart jugs. Most of the time they don't carry a filter brand that covers Porsche, so I just pick up filters for the daily drivers, or pick up filters for friend's vehicles and give them away. Our local stores are Napa, Oreilly, Autozone, and Advance (also carquest, but they don't run sales very often that I have seen). In July, Napa ran Mobil 1 $4.99 a quart unlimited quantities, so I bought about 20 cases, which is unfortunately gone already, lol.
Old 08-07-2011, 11:32 PM
NP993
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Rick Lee
I'm happy to shop at Wal-Mart. I want profitable businesses to stay in business and keep employing people where I live. I have met some great WM employees, both in the automotive and gun departments. I usually only go there for oil and ammo. I did buy a rifle there once (Ruger, made in AZ), couldn't pass up the deal. I'm also glad to see such a huge selection of bargain shopping for people who are not as well off as I am. I can afford to shop elsewhere. But I don't understand the logic of how paying $8.75 per qt. of oil at another chain store like AutoZone is helping our country more than paying $23.50 for a 5 qt. jug at WM is. Call me crazy. The more WM haters I read about, the happier I am to shop there. I guess the expensive places need the WM haters.
Brilliant. Couldn't have said it better.
Old 08-07-2011, 11:39 PM
Rick Lee
Addict
Rennlist Member

Hey, I saw the promotion at AutoZone today for $35 for 5 qts. and a filter. What use is the filter? Do they make a small one for the 993? I don't think they make one for my bike either.
Old 08-07-2011, 11:42 PM
Ed Hughes
Rennlist Member

Received 77 Likes on 51 Posts

Great, do American proud-shop more at Walmart!

I'm about as far from being liberal as you can be-and I'm not in the tea party. I simply think that this company is not good for our country.
Old 08-07-2011, 11:44 PM
Quadcammer
Race Director

Received 1,371 Likes on 794 Posts

Originally Posted by IXLR8
Why, was there an "old" formula?

Old or new, I doubt anyone is going to wear out there engines on the street.
yeah, apparently to get the SM rating, they reduced the zddp, which everyone gets up in arms about.

I agree fully, all the oil discussions are a bit academic as I haven't seen any failures related to a brand of synthetic oil, but steve w. might disagree.

I use the m1 motorcycle oil, but I'm pretty sure I don't need it.

As for walmart, I use it exclusively for oil. That said, I have no qualms about the company. They employ a ton of people in this country. Wages are low, but above what is mandated by law. Do they do predatory pricing? Hell yeah. Do these economies (or powers) of scale bother me? no. Thats economics for you
Old 08-08-2011, 12:01 AM
Rick Lee
Addict
Rennlist Member

Isn't Mobil 1 made in the USA? I think just about everything I buy at Wal-Mart is made in the USA - oil, ammo, guns and groceries. How am I not buying American by shopping there? I haven't even come across any employees there who speak English with an accent. Seems to me it's a very American business all around.
Old 08-08-2011, 01:06 AM
hchc
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

While on the topic of oil change, I found
this this
on Amazon.
Is there anything place else cheaper without doing those AZ oil+filter deal?
Old 08-08-2011, 01:09 AM
Rick Lee
Addict
Rennlist Member

That Amazon deal would be less of a robbery if they used a gun on me.

Quick Reply: Mobil 1 15W-50 5 Quart Jug Comeback?