Tire mounting/balancing heaven!

Search this Thread

Old 08-01-2011, 05:23 PM
BobbyT
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 73 Likes on 48 Posts
Default Tire mounting/balancing heaven!

I've had a couple of bad experiences with getting tires mounted, including one where they really gouged up my nice wheels. With my latest set of concours-quality wheels in hand, I began the search for a shop to mount them. None of the local shops I talked to inspired any confidence, so I began looking online, and discovered the "Corghi Artiglio Master". Watching videos of this machine in operation on youtube really convinced me that this was one of the Seven Wonders of the Modern World, so the search was on to find a shop that had such a machine--not easy.

My search ended at Wheel Dynamics in Monterey Park, CA, where they have not only the Corghi magic machine, but also the latest Hunter GSP9700 RoadForce wheel balancer.

I arranged an appointment, and on arrival met the owner, Eli Sesma (drives a Cayenne Turbo S that has been tweaked into a giant killer), who gave me a quick tour around his shop, and introduced me to his staff. In addition to tires/wheels sales and service, they also have a trained Porsche technician for any required maintenance or service.

Eli invited me to watch while he mounted my new wheels, and it was a pleasure to see someone work with the level of care and precision he demonstrated. The Corghi machine truly does not ever touch the face of the wheel, so no need to be nervous that your new wheels are going to get any marks on them.

Then on to the RoadForce balancing act--this machine applies 1500 pounds of pressure to the tire via a large roller, while it analyzes any variations in the stiffness or road resistance of the tire, and calculates any needed compensatory weights.

All this work was done rather quickly, and I was back on the road home. My 993 has always seemed smooth to me, but never quite like it is now.

Bottom line, if you need tires, wheels, wheel refinishing, or routine service, and you are anywhere near this shop, I highly recommend it. They will treat you the way Porsche owners should be treated.

Finally, here are some pictures of Eli and the Corghi Master in action.
Attached Images      
Old 08-01-2011, 05:30 PM
Arena993
Race Car

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

We have a guy here in Nashville that has the Hunter Roadforce Balancer and Hunter Touchless Tire Changer in his home garage. He also has a 2 post lift. He did my wheels and tires and the feel is great. You'll love the ride.

Mike
Old 08-01-2011, 06:50 PM
Leon993
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

...so hard to find decent tire work these days...dip****s at Tire Discount cant get my balance right. Now Im planning on them rotating wheels 180 degrees and try again...
Old 08-01-2011, 10:06 PM
NC TRACKRAT
Rennlist Member

Received 431 Likes on 272 Posts

I need to flip the rears on my C2S hollow spokes. Due to the extreme offset and the knife-edge rim on the face, I think dismounting/mounting from the back side is the way to go. Correct?
Old 08-01-2011, 10:16 PM
SirLapsalot
Pro

Received 43 Likes on 33 Posts

Originally Posted by NC TRACKRAT
I need to flip the rears on my C2S hollow spokes. Due to the extreme offset and the knife-edge rim on the face, I think dismounting/mounting from the back side is the way to go. Correct?
Can only really dismount and mount from the back if the drop-center is at the backside. You don't need a fancy tire mounting machine to not bitch up the wheel surface if you know what you are doing and take precautions and care. But that roadforce balance machine is awesome!
Old 08-01-2011, 11:09 PM
ble2011
Drifting

Received 18 Likes on 9 Posts

I took mine to the dealer. Not sure of the mounting machine, but they did not hurt them at all. They do have the Hunter roadforce balancer. Never been there before, but they treated me like royalty and even keep my wheels in the service advisers office till I came to pick them up. I used to have a slight shake, but now, smooth as silk. I agree, it pays to search out the Hunter roadforce.
Old 08-02-2011, 08:52 AM
DanL993
button queen

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

BobbyT, great lookin' car (I have one a lot like it) and I love thoses wheels!!

Quick Reply: Tire mounting/balancing heaven!