Unrealistic Buyers

Search this Thread

Old 07-29-2011, 12:16 PM
RollingArt
Drifting

Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by mooty
this is why i hate selling cars.
i DUMP them cheap at dealers b/c they cut me a chk right away.
I don't understand this reasoning mooty.

If you're going to dump a car cheap, why not sell it to a RL'er at the dump price instead of putting say $10-15k in a dealer's pocket. Pretty sure you'd have a check the same day with zero hassles.

Someone on the 997 forum just did exactly that. They let someone buy his Carrera for the buyout price at lease end. Buyer saved about $10k buying his car. Dealer's were cut out of the picture and lost out on a $10k profit.

Why not offer it for sale at what you're willing to except from a dealer and see what happens. This goes for all you guys who love filling the dealer's pocket's with cash. What gives?

Phil
Old 07-29-2011, 02:49 PM
cpdjfd107
Burning Brakes

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

^^^^^^^^^
The reason I would consider trading my cab in to a dealer is that there is a tax break. I am not sure about other states but if I get 28k for my car as trade in value and I buy a car for 40k, then I am only responsible for sales tax on the difference which would be 12k. At 7% sales tax it adds up to almost equaling getting 31k for my car as a private sale. So although not the best option in most cases sometimes it does work to your advantage (as long as you are getting a good deal on the car you are purchasing, if not then all benefits to a trade in are negated.)
Old 07-29-2011, 02:51 PM
dcdude
Drifting

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by race911
Then there was the thing about the 3.8. Right about receipts/proof. Which of course I have from when Kim had Steve build the car.
Put that bad-boy in a plastic sheet protector.

OK, to wrap this up, he calls me as I'm towing up to Thunderhill asking if he can still get in the event to drive the car. I said I'd be happy to send him whatever data I pull tomorrow, and he can analyze it.
I'm surprised he called...I thought your business was done? Nevertheless, that was an elegant way to handle a ridiculous (at this point) request. So no seat time for the nit picker, right? Send him to TruSpeed. Lotsa "pretty" cars there.
Old 07-29-2011, 03:20 PM
bb993tt
Three Wheelin'

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You know this is going to take the "right" buyer Ken, so just wait for him to come along. I was the "right" buyer for Jimmy when he decided to sell blackie, which wasn't your average TT. We had the deal done with one or two exchanges of emails (answering some questions on my part), a discussion of price followed up by a wire transfer. PPI was done and car came east on Intercity.
Old 07-29-2011, 05:03 PM
nile13
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 90 Likes on 57 Posts

I don't understand all the negativity here.

Selling is not easy. Neither is buying. Chose the partners you're willing to make deals with. They will usually have the right product and the right amount of money to buy. Simple. The professional word is "qualify".

And, oh, the closing rate in my business seems to be about 2% for a very good sales person. Which is expected and perfectly OK. Why would it be 100% or even 50% in a car business? It's not. Again, qualifying a customer solves a lot of future problems.
Old 07-30-2011, 02:09 AM
mooty
GT3 player par excellence
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 5,482 Likes on 2,269 Posts

Originally Posted by RollingArt
I don't understand this reasoning mooty.

If you're going to dump a car cheap, why not sell it to a RL'er at the dump price instead of putting say $10-15k in a dealer's pocket. Pretty sure you'd have a check the same day with zero hassles.

Someone on the 997 forum just did exactly that. They let someone buy his Carrera for the buyout price at lease end. Buyer saved about $10k buying his car. Dealer's were cut out of the picture and lost out on a $10k profit.

Why not offer it for sale at what you're willing to except from a dealer and see what happens. This goes for all you guys who love filling the dealer's pocket's with cash. What gives?

oh what i meant is that some RL offer'd me prices LOWER than stealers. i have sold enough cars to know how much i need to lose to get rid of them.

Phil
phil, you are cool cat.
i, in the past, offer to RL first. if i had to lose money, i lose it to friends. but some RL aren't real. not all of course.

rad, izzone, pjs, leigh2 and a few others had 5-6 figures transaction with me without ever seeing the item in person. we didn't spend more than 1 email on pricing. money arrives less than 24 hours when wired or 48 hours overnighted. great buyers. then there are those who really doesn't know what they want. they would buy if you drop the price a lot. then that offends me. then again, i dont do anything rational.
Old 07-30-2011, 02:12 AM
mooty
Lifetime Rennlist

Originally Posted by bb993tt
You know this is going to take the "right" buyer Ken, so just wait for him to come along. I was the "right" buyer for Jimmy when he decided to sell blackie, which wasn't your average TT. We had the deal done with one or two exchanges of emails (answering some questions on my part), a discussion of price followed up by a wire transfer. PPI was done and car came east on Intercity.
u r right.
right car
right buyer
right seller.
i sat shotgun in blackie at WS 6 or so years ago. i still remember that damn car. jimmy said DO NOT LIFT enter T8 or was it T9.... just step on it. but of course, he was younger then and fearless LOL.
Old 07-30-2011, 02:13 AM
mooty
Lifetime Rennlist

Originally Posted by cpdjfd107
^^^^^^^^^
The reason I would consider trading my cab in to a dealer is that there is a tax break. I am not sure about other states but if I get 28k for my car as trade in value and I buy a car for 40k, then I am only responsible for sales tax on the difference which would be 12k. At 7% sales tax it adds up to almost equaling getting 31k for my car as a private sale. So although not the best option in most cases sometimes it does work to your advantage (as long as you are getting a good deal on the car you are purchasing, if not then all benefits to a trade in are negated.)
i live in kalif
no tax break.
Old 07-30-2011, 02:31 AM
race911
Rennlist Member

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Funny to see this at the top of the heap tonight.

Post-mortem. I basically, as it usually happens, did my flyer on lap 3 of the AM. Was still in the low-80s, got to 96-97 today. Funny thing happened this afternoon--had a failure! Left front caliper bolts backed out from the hub's threads being stripped over the years. Hopefully repairable, as it's an RSR hub.

But I can't stress enough (again) that I don't have the car for sale in the classic sense. Someone turned someone on to me, and we spent a lot of time discussing the car. Yeah, it went off the rails (in my view) because this is a track car that somehow turned into being viewed through the prism of a street car.

End result is that I have my data for a 2:02.7. I'll send it off, and my price is known to him. And that's about as much effort as I'll put into further dealing with the guy. I can also post it here, if anyone who's curious: 1. knows AIM data, and 2. understands Thunderhill.

Also shot some video with front and back cameras. That will take editing time and skills which are in short supply.
Old 07-30-2011, 12:21 PM
RollingArt
Drifting

Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts

phil, you are cool cat.
Hey thanks. You're pretty hip yourself!

then again, i dont do anything rational.
Ahh, that explains a lot.

Seriously, I get what you're saying.

Hang loose pal!

Phil
Old 07-30-2011, 01:06 PM
IXLR8
Rennlist Member

Received 646 Likes on 449 Posts

I remember an unrealistic buyer who wanted my BMW, "but I can buy that one for $6K less....so go and buy it...but I want yours...well then, I guess you have a problem".

It sold to an acquaintance days later at the asking price. It was showroom mint.

I've come across "unrealistic vendors" and there seems to be far more of them than "unrealistic buyers".
Old 07-30-2011, 03:42 PM
bb993tt
Three Wheelin'

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

... i sat shotgun in blackie at WS 6 or so years ago. i still remember that damn car. jimmy said DO NOT LIFT enter T8 or was it T9.... just step on it. but of course, he was younger then and fearless LOL.
Sounds like our boy Jimmy at his favorite playground. And six years ago he was what, 59 going on 16!
Old 08-01-2011, 03:28 PM
race911
Rennlist Member

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

To wrap up kicking this dead horse.............

I send the guy the links to the front + rear video, plus the data files. He calls me back telling me how interested he is and when can he try it out at the track when I'm up there next time.

Ugh.
Old 08-01-2011, 03:33 PM
gonzilla
Rennlist Member

Received 98 Likes on 64 Posts

To wrap up kicking this dead horse.............

I send the guy the links to the front + rear video, plus the data files. He calls me back telling me how interested he is and when can he try it out at the track when I'm up there next time.

Ugh.
$1000/lap, deductible from purchase price.
Old 08-01-2011, 03:47 PM
Spidey 993

So now he wants free rides plus the car @ 50% off. Winner!

Quick Reply: Unrealistic Buyers