Sponsored by:

engine tray retaining clip

Search this Thread

Old 07-27-2011, 07:19 AM
bluecab
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Default engine tray retaining clip

the engine tray retaining clip behind the rear passenger wheel seems to have disappeared. Did my first oil change, everything went well thank you very much; went to tighten the screw holding the engine tray to the body and it would not hold. I have looked at the parts diagram and there is supposed to be a retaining clip to screw into. I can't determine how to replace it, if that is even possible; is it gone, stripped? Anyone with any ideas to pass along would be much appreciated.
Old 07-27-2011, 08:13 AM
NeufCentOnze
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Sorry, no idea (and can't check on my car because it is >10,000km away from where I am right now) but I have an inkling that you will soon receive suggestions about removing the engine tray altogether...
Chris
Old 07-27-2011, 09:45 AM
IXLR8
Rennlist Member

Received 688 Likes on 478 Posts

Originally Posted by bluecab
I have looked at the parts diagram and there is supposed to be a retaining clip to screw into.
Porsche PN: 999 507 413 09

Originally Posted by bluecab
I can't determine how to replace it, if that is even possible; is it gone, stripped?
The clip is slid into place on the inside of the left and right engine tin, there is a tab on the inside of the engine tin panels for that reason. Your retaining clip is still in there somewhere but not being retained due to wear.

Here is a pic of the one on the right side engine tin. Its that silver colored retainer just under the power steering hose and forward of the hole that the lower spark plug cables go through. There is one just like it on the left engine tin.

Old 07-27-2011, 10:12 AM
Slow Guy
Race Director

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts

I think the majority of us recommend removing the engine tray (at least for summer months). Personally, my transmission tray needs a retaining clip for the center retaining screw. This is the retainer that stays on the car bracket even when the tray is off. Just haven't taken the time to look up the part yet.
Old 07-27-2011, 10:18 AM
rsr91128
Burning Brakes

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

I think the clips are still in my car, I don't use an engine tray. If I can get to it you can have the clip if you need it.

Let me know if you need it.
Old 07-27-2011, 05:30 PM
Slow Guy
Race Director

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by rsr91128
I think the clips are still in my car, I don't use an engine tray. If I can get to it you can have the clip if you need it.

Let me know if you need it.
I think you were talking to Bluecab but now that you mention it, since I don't use my engine tray I'll pull one of those for the missing tranny tray mount. Thanks for the suggestion!

Duh!
Old 07-27-2011, 10:09 PM
bluecab
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Thanks for the pic Alex
I got a good view of it, it is opened up to where it needs to be replaced. I'm not sure how hard it will be to get to, my first guess is it won't easy. The engine and night time temps are too hot to deal with it right now. I'm hoping the other screws will carry the load for now.
Old 07-27-2011, 11:15 PM
Neil Perry
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi
I had a simular problem, the clip was still there, but the centre had been push-up, hence the screw would not catch.
Just need to push the centre of clip down from the top, that is from inside the engine bay.

This might not be the problem, but worth a look.
Old 07-27-2011, 11:37 PM
MarkD
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Neil Perry
Hi
I had a simular problem, the clip was still there, but the centre had been push-up, hence the screw would not catch.
Just need to push the centre of clip down from the top, that is from inside the engine bay.

This might not be the problem, but worth a look.
more than likely, this is exactly the issue
very common.
if not, the clips are available and very inexpensive
we keep extras at the shop, just in case

Quick Reply: engine tray retaining clip