Sponsored by:

GT3 seats + BK brackets = :)

Search this Thread

Old 07-24-2011, 11:16 AM
David in LA
Nordschleife Master

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default GT3 seats + BK brackets = :)

I was fairly content with the GT3 seats that came with the car and installed by the PO...even though it's not a track car, the seats were close to perfect as far as keeping me from shifting about during spirited drives. The only negative was the height....they were installed using a 996 bracket on the passenger side and a sparco bracket on the drivers side. The height of the seat with the sparco bracket was about an 1" or so lower.

Some time ago I bought the Brey-Krause bracket for the drivers side for mounting directly to the floor (with the idea I would swap the Sparco bracket to the passenger side). After over a year I finally got around to installing the BK bracket this weekend and its a very noticeable improvement - mutiple adjustment points, and it feels much more connected to the car than the Sparco or GT3 brackets. Even though the brackets had little slop or play, in comparison the BK's are rock solid and gave great feedback to what the car was doing.

Not cheap, PIA to adjust until you get it right and you lose fore-aft adjustability, so may only make sense to do on the drivers side

Last edited by David in LA; 07-25-2011 at 02:42 PM.
Old 07-24-2011, 05:28 PM
e9stibi
Drifting

Received 33 Likes on 24 Posts

If you are not a widget, you will need the BK brackets for a proper GT3 seat installation in a 993. They are worth every penny. I did my research before I made the installation and can confirm that everything is easy, when you have the right parts. If not ...
Old 07-25-2011, 02:46 PM
David in LA
Nordschleife Master

I just finished installing the older Sparco bracket to the passenger side...the Sparco bracket is nice b/c it has multiple adjustment points and sits lower that the factory GT3 bracket, plus the fore-aft adjustment bar is tucked way under the front of the seat so you can fit an fire extinguisher in front of the seat (vs. the GT3 bracket where the adjustment bar sticks out). But after getting used to the GT3 seat+BK bracket combo and the very solid mount, the slight wiggle room with the Sparco bracket really bothers me...glad I'm not the passenger! If I didn't need access to the back seat from time to time I would definitely floor mount both seats.
Old 08-17-2011, 01:20 PM
David in LA
Nordschleife Master

Update with (crappy iphone) pic of the floor mounted GT3 seat; passenger seat is using a Sparco mount which actually sits fairly low and has a lot of fore/aft adjustment - enough so that the wife can get into the back seat Replaced the soft factory seat bolts w/ stronger bolts...highly recommended even if you don't plan on removing the seats on a regular basis...the factory allen bolts are easy to strip

Also added a pic of the BK universal FE mount and quick release. I've located it in front of the drivers seat and can release it in seconds if ever needed. May put one on passenger side as well, but not sure as they are pricey

Close-up pic of the BK bracket

BK universal fire extinguisher mount with quick release next to Inventa Concepts cupholder (I know, but I need a place for my coffee)

Last edited by David in LA; 08-21-2011 at 05:05 AM.
Old 08-20-2011, 03:17 PM
e9stibi
Drifting

Received 33 Likes on 24 Posts

Looks good!
Old 08-21-2011, 04:47 AM
David in LA
Nordschleife Master

I'm posting the pics below as over the years there have been questions whether using GT3 seats prevents access to the rear seats. The answer is "it depends"...it depends on what seat brackets you are using. The factor GT3 brackets do limit access except for tiny persons, but an aftermarket bracket like the one shown below from Sparco provides sufficient access to the rear seats.

Seat fully back

Seat fully forward

Close-up of Sparco bracket

Quick Reply: GT3 seats + BK brackets = :)