Sponsored by:

DC metro types: Taylor Chapman Opened his own shop

Search this Thread

Old 07-23-2011, 10:50 PM
Denise993
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by porscheralph
Denise - thanks for the info. You going to Cars and Coffee at Katie's anymore?
I haven't been since the spring, but I'm going to make a point to get out there in September. I'll see you there!

Originally Posted by P-daddy
Congrats and thanks for the info.
BTW, is your cell number special request on the last 4?
Isn't that cool?! It's Taylor's number and was a fluke!

Originally Posted by Mark in Baltimore
Is Taylor well-versed in race car set up such as corner balancing and installing items like race seats, remote reservoir shocks, solid motor mounts, fire suppression systems, window nets, PMO carbs, high performance engine mods, etc.? I sometimes refer people to shops in that area, so it would be nice to know if he's comfortable with track and race stuff.
Mark, I can't speak to all that's on your list, but yes, I know he does a lot of suspension work, corner balancing and engine mods. He did an article in Der Vorganger on corner balancing:

http://taylorchapman.com/Documents/d...ust%202010.pdf

Originally Posted by AOW162435
Not really. He specializes in neon kits, stereo installs, fart cans, and window tint. Andreas
Hilarious!

I hope to see everyone on the 6th!
Old 07-24-2011, 12:35 AM
aktifspeed
Intermediate

I'm going to try and be there for the opening... I met Taylor at Katies C&C a couple of months back. He invited me over to his old shop; I'll be taking him up on his offer now that he's even closer to me.
Old 07-24-2011, 04:09 AM
Motobob
Instructor

I already told him I would be follwoing him to his new shop; very happy for him. Bob
Old 07-24-2011, 02:29 PM
Stuttgart951
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Is Taylor well-versed in race car set up such as corner balancing and installing items like race seats, remote reservoir shocks, solid motor mounts, fire suppression systems, window nets, PMO carbs, high performance engine mods, etc.? I sometimes refer people to shops in that area, so it would be nice to know if he's comfortable with track and race stuff.
In addition to Steven Seagal haircuts, neon lighting and window tinting; Taylor is plenty versed in all of the above.

I refer business to him without hesitation. He's got my car (and both of its engines), right now.
Old 07-24-2011, 02:46 PM
Mark in Baltimore
Rennlist Member

Received 499 Likes on 320 Posts

Originally Posted by Stuttgart951
In addition to Steven Seagal haircuts, neon lighting and window tinting; Taylor is plenty versed in all of the above.

I refer business to him without hesitation. He's got my car (and both of its engines), right now.
I've got a hot hairdresser, but thanks anyway.

Thanks for the info. Very good to know.
Old 07-25-2011, 02:33 PM
Stuttgart951
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I've got a hot hairdresser, but thanks anyway.

Thanks for the info. Very good to know.
In all honesty; ignoring the opinion (of many) that Taylor is the "go-to guy" for, especially, the air-cooled stuff (though he is also superb with the water pumpers), what sold me on him, when I moved to the area, was his customer service. He's actually *honest.*

He makes sure you fully understand everything; walks you around the particulars; shows you exactly what he is going to do and why (or, in my case, took about a million pictures of my engine tear-down) and ensures that you are comfortable with all of his recommendations.

Having had this car disease for quite some time; the only other individual I trusted as much as Taylor was my previous wrench in Philadelphia; Mike Tillson (and Ed, and everyone else there). Mike raced, primarily P-cars, from '69 to '77. Cam'Am, Sebring, Daytona, etc.

Good company with which to be paired.

In full disclosure, the only interest I have in Taylor's success is as a friend and a customer. He does work beyond expectation, below anticipated cost and correctly... the FIRST time.

Treats every car in his shop as though it were his own. I don't think you can say much more about a tech.

Certainly the best within the DC metro area, in my opinion. If its got a P-car badge on it; he knows what to do with it.
Old 07-26-2011, 12:45 AM
Steve 96C4S
Rennlist Member

Received 864 Likes on 438 Posts

Total quandary and weird timing seeing this posted here today. I'n not on Rennlist much anymore so the timing is interesting.

I was supposed to get a call back from Taylor today which never came about me bringing my car down there this week as the free loaner at German Auto would be available and back from the shop for me to finally use. Never got the call, called to the shop and the guy hemmed and hawed and finally said that Taylor doesn't work there anymore. WHAT?!? They wouldn't tell me more but that if I googled his name I'd figure it out.

So I did, and left a message. I'm sure he's busy moving so I didn't hear back from him and called the other place my body shop recommended I call. In fact, they HIGHLY recommended these guys:

"Intersport in McLean VA". They do have a loaner available to me this Wednesday, they say they specialize in 993's and know them very well and can help me with my current intermittent 993 problem that's driving me batty.

Hmmm, anyone familiar with them? They're a lot closer to me than Taylor's new shop and time is precious during the day to drop cars off, etc. Plus, the free loaner car is a big deal for me.

Thanks in advance,
Steve
Old 07-26-2011, 12:49 AM
Rick Lee
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Steve, what do you need Intersport to do on your car?
Old 07-26-2011, 12:52 AM
Paddy
Rennlist Member

Received 33 Likes on 24 Posts

Steve,

Charlie at Intersport is also an excellent wrench and I wouldn't hesitate to use them.

For me I use Geoff over at ASG and couldn't be happier.
Old 07-26-2011, 07:28 AM
Steve 96C4S
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Rick Lee
Steve, what do you need Intersport to do on your car?
Intermittent "won't start" problem. Starter? Immobilizer? It never does it when I'm at the shop. Turn key - nothing... Not a sound. Not a click. Lights come on on the dash and that's it. I get out of the car, lock unlock it. Get back in and try to start it . Nothing.

Sometimes an hour later when a tow truck comes it starts right up. So utterly aggravating. Sometimes it doesn't start when the tow truck comes, I tow it to a shop, they try it each day for a week and it starts each time.

I used to go to ASG when Taylor was there then switched to German Motors when he moved there. Now... since he's in transition, I guess I'll try Intersport and cross my fingers.
Old 07-26-2011, 10:12 AM
Rick Lee
Addict
Rennlist Member

I had a buddy with the same symptoms and it was a $25 (six yrs. ago) DME relay, which another local shop (not one mentioned here) charged him $1200 to NOT fix.

Don't you live in Mont. Co.? Surely Auto Therapy or Matt De Maria are closer to you.
Old 07-26-2011, 10:57 AM
AOW162435
Seared
Rennlist Member

Received 415 Likes on 233 Posts

Steve,
It sounds like a classic DME relay problem. You can replace the relay in less than 60 seconds. Have you tried this already?

If you search for DME in the 993 forum, you'll find around 546,739 threads.

Or you can just click this.

Andreas
Old 07-26-2011, 11:08 AM
Rick Lee
Addict
Rennlist Member

Just go buy a new DME relay. They're probably $35 at the stealer now. Even if that's not your problem, you need to have a spare in the car anyway for WHEN (not if) you have a DME problem. And just swap it for the old one in your fuse/relay panel. Takes less than a minute.
Old 07-26-2011, 11:48 AM
Steve 96C4S
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Rick Lee
I had a buddy with the same symptoms and it was a $25 (six yrs. ago) DME relay, which another local shop (not one mentioned here) charged him $1200 to NOT fix.

Don't you live in Mont. Co.? Surely Auto Therapy or Matt De Maria are closer to you.
Ughhh. You have no idea what I've been through the last 3-4 years with this car. Every few months it just doesn't start. I've brought it to Autotherapy and Tag in Gaithersburg and they said there is nothing wrong with it, that it started each time. It can't be the DME relay. The car doesn't crank. Nothing happens. Only the interior dash lights come on. That's at least what the shop just told me. He said if it was the DME relay it would crank. I'm feeling pretty cranky myself right now. Sorry I stole this thread. I'll get off shortly!

If I have to keep bringing it to shop after shop and each one telling me "it started right up", then I go home and 2 days later it doesn't start... not good.

If the car even starts tomorrow morning (I have post traumatic stress syndrome over it at this point) I will attempt to make it to Intersport. I'll have them look it over. If it keeps on restarting while it's there, great. If not, I really never want to see this car again (.

Or, I'll end up taking it to Taylor if they can't figure it out. If Taylor looks at it, "fixes it", and it keeps not starting every so often, I'm going to attach it to a boat in the Chesapeake Bay and use it as a boat anchor as that's all it's good for.
Old 07-26-2011, 12:01 PM
AOW162435
Seared
Rennlist Member

Received 415 Likes on 233 Posts

I would install a new DME relay, and a new battery ground cable.

Both super easy DIY jobs and together, would cost you less than $60.

Why not try that first?

Andreas

Quick Reply: DC metro types: Taylor Chapman Opened his own shop