Notices
993 Forum 1995-1998

DME Relay - Failure and Repair

Search this Thread

Old 05-24-2014, 10:06 AM
Cabarnak
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Just a quick post to give a BIG THANK YOU to IXLR8 for this solution!

On my second day of ownership, my car ('97 993TT) had a DME relay failure (car would crank but not fire up). I replaced the DME relay with the spare that the previous owner had left in the car and the car started right away.

As soon as I came back home, I opened the bad relay and resoldered solder joints. Put that relay back in the car and it started right up

I'll keep the "new" relay as a spare.
Old 03-17-2021, 12:22 AM
ctilly
Advanced

Received 17 Likes on 9 Posts

Great tip! Saved myself a new DME, at least for now. I assume they are using leaded solder - not sure how much it even matters but that’s what I have. Back I there now and running great 👍🏼

Bad solder joint on failing DME

Post repair. Fingers crossed...
Old 03-17-2021, 02:26 AM
Ralph3.
Rennlist Member

Received 85 Likes on 72 Posts

Solid state
The following users liked this post:
tstafford (03-17-2021)
Old 03-17-2021, 04:32 AM
ToreB
Rennlist Member

Received 376 Likes on 238 Posts

The pictures shows the typical failure of these relays. It gets hot when in use, solder becomes soft, and vibration causes this.
Leaded solder is indeed the way to go, and it will work for another 30 years.
Cheers,
Tore

Old 03-17-2021, 09:57 AM
red64chevelle
Instructor

Received 63 Likes on 38 Posts

Originally Posted by Ralph3.
Solid state
I saw those and was interested. Especially with the fuel pump priming function. Do you have any feedback on using one?
Old 03-17-2021, 10:02 AM
ed devinney
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 62 Likes on 41 Posts

I've been using a SS relay for over a year now, all good so far. I didn't throw away the electromechanical relay though - it's in the glove box as a spare.
Old 03-17-2021, 12:03 PM
tstafford
Race Car

Received 1,083 Likes on 621 Posts

Originally Posted by ed devinney
I've been using a SS relay for over a year now, all good so far. I didn't throw away the electromechanical relay though - it's in the glove box as a spare.
Same here. Given the prevalence of comments on this issue seems like cheap insurance to just go to SS and keep the regular one as back up.
Old 03-17-2021, 12:11 PM
ctilly
Advanced

Originally Posted by tstafford
Same here. Given the prevalence of comments on this issue seems like cheap insurance to just go to SS and keep the regular one as back up.
Could you provide a link?
Old 03-17-2021, 12:57 PM
IXLR8
Rennlist Member

Received 646 Likes on 449 Posts

I don't know why people think solid state is the way to go. Electronic components fail as well unless you are using military spec components, and yes, those fail too.

Now in a TV, solid state is the way to go. It beats tubes.
Old 03-17-2021, 01:27 PM
boomboomthump
Rennlist Member

Received 945 Likes on 478 Posts

Perhaps because us EE's have learned a lot from primitive tech over the last couple decades. While not fail-proof and quality of materials/construction are a consideration, solid state components are generally more reliable.
Old 03-17-2021, 01:40 PM
IXLR8
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by boomboomthump
Perhaps because us EE's have learned a lot from primitive tech over the last couple decades. While not fail-proof and quality of materials/construction are a consideration, solid state components are generally more reliable.
Generally, but having looked at my mechanical relay, once properly soldered, it cannot really fail. I ran current through it and measured the voltage drop across the contacts while cycling the relay over and over when I worked in a lab. It'll last forever. Not worried at all. Hey, but whatever works for users.

Now this doesn't apply to most of us, but when in really remote areas on my motorcycle (as in 152 miles between towns and gas stations), give me gravity feed fuel (no fuel pump), a carb (no fuel infection or pressure regulator) and basic ignition (no Motronic). I can fix that anywhere.
Old 03-17-2021, 01:50 PM
IXLR8
Rennlist Member

Now if this is "post repair", you missed a few joints, like the ones circled. If I were you, I would take the time to do it right and solder all joints. In fact when I did my board, I de-soldered the old joints, cleaned the pads and applied fresh solder.

And by the way, this is a solder failure, not a component failure. And that can happen on any circuit be it mechanical or solid state.

Last edited by IXLR8; 03-17-2021 at 02:12 PM.
Old 03-17-2021, 02:10 PM
ctilly
Advanced

Originally Posted by IXLR8
you missed a few joints, like the ones circled. If I were you, I would take the time to do it right and solder all joints.

And this is a solder failure, not a component failure. And that can happen on any circuit be it mechanical or solid state.
noted, will do, and good eye!

re solid state, everything dies and in fact will usually have some marketed est lifetime value. With SS depending on the technology node it can be quite long. Thermal cycles (how many & how extreme) kill solder joints. The reason I’m not so sure about my repair is that in my experience soldering is fairly nuanced. You need to have the two metal surfaces heated within spec peak temp range for the right duration and have limited contamination for really healthy, robust solder joints. Mine does not appear to have the right look. Good news it it’s easy to identify and re solder on future failure.

semiconductors, on the other hand, predominantly die from heat. E.g. a chip running 27/7 operation at 100C might last >>10ys, while running at 125C could be closer to 3yrs. Chips that go in the tranny, for example must be rated to very high temps. Inside the fuse box (away from the engine compartment) should be under 100C in my black P-car driving through the desert - the devices themselves also generate heat.

Last edited by ctilly; 03-17-2021 at 02:29 PM.
Old 03-17-2021, 02:10 PM
tstafford
Race Car

Received 1,083 Likes on 621 Posts

Originally Posted by ctilly
Could you provide a link?
https://www.ftech9.com/new-products/993-ssr-pp
Old 03-17-2021, 02:20 PM
IXLR8
Rennlist Member

noted, will do, and good eye!
Which is why I prefer to work on my own vehicles, aircraft, what have you. You ought to see me on the range but my eyesight is going bad lately.

BTW, all of those solder joints look terrible. Do them all.

semiconductors, on the other hand, predominantly die from heat. E.g. a chip running 27/7 operation at 100C might last >>10ys, while running at 125C could be closer to 3yrs. Chips that go in the tranny, for example must be rated to very high temps.
Spent many years working on the M1A1 computers for the fire control back in the mid to late 80s. Lots of testing, heat cycles, pressure testing, re-work and repeat, etc. after we built them.

Quick Reply: DME Relay - Failure and Repair