Notices
993 Forum 1995-1998

993 Muffler overhaul.

Search this Thread

Old 03-27-2012, 05:09 PM
FisterD
Rennlist Member

Received 43 Likes on 24 Posts

There is no arrangement or agreement between Thomas (Resident Sicko) and me. I have no control over what he does or says, or anyone else for that matter.
It is well known that due to the economic changing times a few years ago, I turned all of my attention to FD Motorsports. I spent (and still spend) a lot of R&D time developing my products to the point they are at today. It has gone far beyond my hobby and passion to consuming most of my waking hours. I do what I do to serve this community, support myself and my family, and also because I love it. I wouldn't change a thing.
Thanks for all of your continued support. You guys frickin' rock!!!
Old 03-27-2012, 05:37 PM
IXLR8
Rennlist Member

Received 646 Likes on 449 Posts

Originally Posted by Spidey 993
Second, is now your selling it which takes the intellectual property you learned from Darin at FD, and now could profit from it.
Is the muffler design patented?

I haven't been around since the first day of the 993 so I can't with 100% certainty say who made modified mufflers first, but what about Robin Sun's RSR muffler? I found posts going back a very long way.
Old 03-27-2012, 05:48 PM
Resident Sicko
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

For the record, the only "intellectual property" was to pack or not to pack the cans with new stuffing. Thanks to some who posted here, I will share that I may or may not have gone with such packing.

Did someone else develop the pass through design on the motor sound mufflers before? Probably, look at the OE turbo example. Now if you will excuse me, I have another idea I am working on called "Blue". It is a primary color that is not yellow, nor is it red.
Old 03-27-2012, 05:59 PM
Spidey 993

Sicko,

Consider yourself lucky then. As you read, Darin has worked countless hours of his personal time perfecting his Fister mufflers.

I see you as a thief and shame on you for taking advantage of his help and knowledge.

As you try and make jokes about it, diminishing the value of that help in "to pack it or not" I think that as pathetic.

Have fun selling your rip off, and become a freakin sponsor while your at it.

Originally Posted by Resident Sicko
For the record, the only "intellectual property" was to pack or not to pack the cans with new stuffing. Thanks to some who posted here, I will share that I may or may not have gone with such packing.

Did someone else develop the pass through design on the motor sound mufflers before? Probably, look at the OE turbo example. Now if you will excuse me, I have another idea I am working on called "Blue". It is a primary color that is not yellow, nor is it red.
Old 03-27-2012, 06:16 PM
IXLR8
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by CorrdoBrit
Robin Sun was one of the first to produce a modded muffler but no one has said FDM have trod on his toes.
Thats what I thought.
Old 03-27-2012, 06:16 PM
CorrdoBrit
Rennlist Member

Received 16 Likes on 12 Posts

Having heard from Darin, I have to agree this is a cheap shot. Your version doesn't appear to offer any distinct advantages over the products available from FDM and therefore could be deemed a copycat product. If there are distinct advantages eg HP gains, torque improvements etc, then this could be a useful alternative option. I've owned both the RSR's and now the Fister Stg II, and I can say categorically the improvements over the RSR's are significant. Less drone at highway speeds, overall better tone and some nice aural sounds on downshifts.

Whilst you're obviously not breaking any laws, ethically you're on pretty thin ice. As a VERY satisfied FDM customer I want to continue to enjoy their current and any future products that may be developed. By doing what you're trying to do only makes Darin and the boys think twice about putting in their valuable time and energy developing these products. Just my 2c.

Last edited by CorrdoBrit; 03-27-2012 at 06:50 PM.
Old 03-27-2012, 06:29 PM
IXLR8
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Resident Sicko
Damn nice, RS.

I bought a used set of stock mufflers a few months ago and thought I would polish them since they are spares and I have the time.

Now I know what I have to look forward to.
Old 03-27-2012, 07:23 PM
PNogC2S
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

I would normally avoid this type of thread like the plague, but I have to chime in because some things just don't make sense here.

RS, please correct me if I've misunderstood any of the following:
1. You got some friendly help/advice from Darrin - maybe a lot, maybe a little...doesn't really matter.
2. You are offering these up to RL'ers as a "good will" item from which state you will not make a profit for $400/set
3. You are catching grief from some members on RL for offering these

It seems you are creating a "lose-lose" situation here. Instead of creating good will on RL you are catching grief, you are not making a profit, and you are not providing a meaningful cost savings to RL'ers. Meanwhile, you are precluding FDM from making a profit on their product (I am assuming they make a profit, since it's part of their business).

So my question to RS is simply- Why bother pursuing this?
Old 03-27-2012, 07:28 PM
AOW162435
Seared
Rennlist Member

Received 407 Likes on 229 Posts

Forget not the originator of the external crossover pipe, Leland Pate.......

This is where LPMM comes from.

Andreas
Old 03-27-2012, 07:40 PM
PNogC2S
Racer

"This is where LPMM comes from."

Is that really what LPMM stands for? I've wondered for years what LPMM meant.
Learn something new every day.
Old 03-27-2012, 07:42 PM
Spidey 993

I learned something today too, and it wasn't what LPMM stands for.
Old 03-27-2012, 07:45 PM
AOW162435
Seared
Rennlist Member

Received 407 Likes on 229 Posts

Originally Posted by PNogC2S
Is that really what LPMM stands for? I've wondered for years what LPMM meant.
It's in the thread. Somebody coined it to congratulate Leland for his work.

No different than the term 'AndyMod' which is bandied about on the Toyota 4WD boards. It refers to me and the traction control bypass switch I devised for the 3rd generation 4Runners.

Andreas
Old 03-27-2012, 08:00 PM
PNogC2S
Racer

Originally Posted by AOW162435
It's in the thread. Somebody coined it to congratulate Leland for his work.

No different than the term 'AndyMod' which is bandied about on the Toyota 4WD boards. It refers to me and the traction control bypass switch I devised for the 3rd generation 4Runners.

Andreas
Cool on both counts. I Googled AndyMod -- It seems that's a household word in the 4Runner world... You are a regular Celebrity!
Old 03-27-2012, 08:16 PM
TravisB
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by FisterD
There is no arrangement or agreement between Thomas (Resident Sicko) and me. I have no control over what he does or says, or anyone else for that matter...

First class response.

A couple things from my perspective. If you're charging the going fabrication rate, even if it's not much, you're still coming out on top...AKA, profit..and potentially pulling a few bucks out of the wallet of the guy who helped you in the first place. I am quite sure there's not $400 in materials there, and if you were really just doing this for the fun of it and a favor to the community you'd be charging for materials and return shipping alone rather than just undercutting FDM.

An attractive Plan B would be to scare up a couple-few pairs of mufflers to loan/rent to people while they wait for theirs to get back from FD. Maybe even make Stage II/III rentals for people to try out (the number of "I can't decide, II's or III's?" threads shows there is possibly some demand here). You could potentially drum up a little extra business for Darin while at the same time putting a little in your pocket without being in the grey area of legitimacy..I know I'd pay $100 to try them out first for a week and know exactly what I am getting, and I am sure I'm not alone!
Old 03-27-2012, 09:02 PM
Kika
Nordschleife Master

Received 79 Likes on 60 Posts

Originally Posted by TravisB
First class response.

A couple things from my perspective. If you're charging the going fabrication rate, even if it's not much, you're still coming out on top...AKA, profit..and potentially pulling a few bucks out of the wallet of the guy who helped you in the first place. I am quite sure there's not $400 in materials there, and if you were really just doing this for the fun of it and a favor to the community you'd be charging for materials and return shipping alone rather than just undercutting FDM.

An attractive Plan B would be to scare up a couple-few pairs of mufflers to loan/rent to people while they wait for theirs to get back from FD. Maybe even make Stage II/III rentals for people to try out (the number of "I can't decide, II's or III's?" threads shows there is possibly some demand here). You could potentially drum up a little extra business for Darin while at the same time putting a little in your pocket without being in the grey area of legitimacy..I know I'd pay $100 to try them out first for a week and know exactly what I am getting, and I am sure I'm not alone!
But.... if someone does this, aren't they stealing your IP...which is what got us in this mess in the first place

Quick Reply: 993 Muffler overhaul.