curve lover
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by 600RR

Oh yeah ...
and even better, a sleeper: http://www.turbokraft.com/gallery/v/Mike/
600RR-- +1^^

Shadow-- You mention "factory power." Since, by definition a Turbo engine wouldn't be wouldn't be 100% factory/OEM set-up in a normally-aspirated / NB 993, additional info on a possible solution to meet your need for more speed:

If you or anyone else's interested in the turbo-charged, custom 'sleeper' NB 993 without a Turbo tail that 600RR referenced, it may be on the market:
Ebay seller barbierocks50's "1995 Porsche 993 Twin Turbo Custom Performance Vehicle" failed to reach its reserve (item #190518703081; top bid $26,100; 82,507 miles; ~424 hp).

Regardless, Chris Carroll, owner of TurboKraft.com. would be happy to see if he can assist your solution.

I met him at last year's Dana Point Concours, when Speedy was placed next to this AZ-owned narrow-body 993 with air:water intercoolers in a twin-turbocharged 'stealthy' installation that retained the OEM NA, movable spoiler. The water reservoirs were engineered into the front bumper.
It was featured in Excellence Magazine's April 2006 issue.

I didn't get to meet the 993s' owner, Mike, but the guys there representing Turbo-Kraft seemed great, & passionate about performance Porsche modifications.

^^ Photography copyright & courtesy of Chris Carroll, owner of TurboKraft.com.

No affiliation.
Old 07-16-2011, 10:50 PM
Falcondrivr
Race Car

Received 70 Likes on 36 Posts

It might also be pertinent to mention that the Turbo engine is mounted about an inch forward of the NA engine. So there will be some other modifications needed.
Old 07-16-2011, 10:54 PM
shadow993
Drifting

Received 25 Likes on 22 Posts

Originally Posted by No HTwo O
You'll also need a 1996 or 1997 Turbo DME. That's another $2K. Wire harness, too????

They both come with the dme and wire harnes...one adds includes a fuel pump as well.
Old 07-16-2011, 10:56 PM
shadow993
Drifting

Originally Posted by Falcondrivr
It might also be pertinent to mention that the Turbo engine is mounted about an inch forward of the NA engine. So there will be some other modifications needed.
This is the kind of thing I needed to know! Thanks.
Old 07-16-2011, 11:07 PM
Texas993
Race Car

Received 22 Likes on 15 Posts

David,

My turbos are broken in now. When I get back to Dallas, lets go on a real drive. Then you will want a Turbo R.

When others suggest the RUF, they are talking about a conversion that RUF offered called a BTR. It was a single turbo for a non-turbo 993. CP (Pong) has a great example. I do not believe that RUF still offers these kits - they primarily offered them before the 993TT was introduced - then they focused on the Turbo R.

It seems as though you are mostly interested in converting your car. I get it, it is a beauty. But seriously consider trading cars. As you start tracking more, you will likely want a coupe instead of a Targa. I could be wrong, but it seems that the track bugs bites hard and people do a lot to shed weight in any way that they can.
Old 07-16-2011, 11:26 PM
shadow993
Drifting

Originally Posted by Texas993
David,

My turbos are broken in now. When I get back to Dallas, lets go on a real drive. Then you will want a Turbo R.

When others suggest the RUF, they are talking about a conversion that RUF offered called a BTR. It was a single turbo for a non-turbo 993. CP (Pong) has a great example. I do not believe that RUF still offers these kits - they primarily offered them before the 993TT was introduced - then they focused on the Turbo R.

It seems as though you are mostly interested in converting your car. I get it, it is a beauty. But seriously consider trading cars. As you start tracking more, you will likely want a coupe instead of a Targa. I could be wrong, but it seems that the track bugs bites hard and people do a lot to shed weight in any way that they can.

You are right and I have been removing all kinds of weight. I think I'm still far away from mastering my car... Much less one with 408hp
Old 07-16-2011, 11:35 PM
Spidey 993

I like the wolf in sheep clothing concept. Go for it, you only live once.

BTW, once you get 408 horses, all you'll want is more.
Old 07-17-2011, 12:06 AM
Greg H.
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 25 Likes on 13 Posts

PM Marins4 about his protomotive conversion. I hate to admit it, but I have been on the track with him and its faster than my UMW stage 2.

Greg H.
Old 07-17-2011, 12:52 AM
race911
Rennlist Member

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

What makes anyone think that a used engine is going to pop right on in, ready to go? Engines like Alvin's (whatever happened to him?) on that 4S-to-turbo conversion come to mind.

And to Greg's comment above, I'll take the factory "real deal" for the ability to take sustained track use over an aftermarket bolt on. Especially if it's not built up from the ground to be a forced induction engine.
Old 07-17-2011, 09:23 AM
No HTwo O
Banned

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by shadow993
I think I'm still far away from mastering my car... Much less one with 408hp
Kudos to you. Takes a lot to admit this. Most of us don't. Driver skill makes up for a lot of delta in HP's.

Another thing to consider; the 993 Turbo is AWD. So, you're thinking about 408 HP in a 2 wheel drive. That's an added handfull. And plays back into the points agreed to above.
Old 07-17-2011, 12:15 PM
race911
Rennlist Member

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by No HTwo O
Kudos to you. Takes a lot to admit this. Most of us don't. Driver skill makes up for a lot of delta in HP's.

Another thing to consider; the 993 Turbo is AWD. So, you're thinking about 408 HP in a 2 wheel drive. That's an added handfull. And plays back into the points agreed to above.
Nearly none of us have the skill. Mostly it's faked. Really.

An extra 100hp isn't really much. Gets you about 3-4 car lengths (at most) down the typical front straight. And guess what? Until you're comfortable you basically scrub it all off braking too early coming into the next turn. So net result is pretty much zero. The other thing I see happen is that it promotes laziness, in that there's a tendency depending on the power delivery characteristics to wait until the car is basically straight and/or rely on a late apex. Both give "the thrill" but more often than not you look at your times and kinda wonder how come you're not really any faster.

AWD isn't a cureall. Maybe Greg can speak better to it, but I've not seen tire breaking traction coming out of a turn and the FWD component pulling a car out. Usually, rear steps out, and it's driver skill that corrects it via countersteer and further throttle application.
Old 07-17-2011, 02:01 PM
MarinS4
Rennlist Member

Received 169 Likes on 122 Posts

Originally Posted by Greg H.
PM Marins4 about his protomotive conversion. I hate to admit it, but I have been on the track with him and its faster than my UMW stage 2.

Greg H.
I don't want to rub salt in the wounds but my car was only at 10 PSI that day.
Old 07-17-2011, 02:06 PM
MarinS4
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by shadow993
Has anybody swapped their NA engine and dropped in a turbo engine?

If so ... How hard and what is needed?

Thanks
Several have done it. Lots of good and bad stories alike. It's hard to recommend a route to you because of the variables along the way.

The smartest approach is to sell your car and buy a turbo. Lots of great deals out there if you know what to look for.
Old 07-17-2011, 02:12 PM
MarinS4
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by race911
What makes anyone think that a used engine is going to pop right on in, ready to go? Engines like Alvin's (whatever happened to him?) on that 4S-to-turbo conversion come to mind.
That whole thing has turned into a nightmare. Last I heard it was still at SCARGO 3+ years later.

Originally Posted by race911
And to Greg's comment above, I'll take the factory "real deal" for the ability to take sustained track use over an aftermarket bolt on. Especially if it's not built up from the ground to be a forced induction engine.
Although I feel my setup is superior to the factory turbo I have to agree with your statement. It is far easier to get it wrong than end up with a great setup.
Old 07-17-2011, 02:14 PM
MarinS4
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Falcondrivr
You got that backwards. The turbo uses a different transmission that shifts the engine 1 inch further to the rear of the car.

Quick Reply: Turbo in a NA 993