Sponsored by:

Cab Top Issues

Search this Thread

Old 07-14-2011, 09:21 PM
mjsorl
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Cab Top Issues

Questions, and not a whole lot of answers:This is not my first cab issue, but it is the first with some parts working and some not. The Story>
my 95 / 993 cab is giving me fits again: the top got stuck in the down position recently (back before it got hot here in florida) and I loosened the side bolts on the frame and dropped the top and then used the manual side of the locking motors. When I had the time I found that it was the e brake that was the issue, the wire / clip had cone out, stretched the clip and reset it into the brake, and wala the top motors unlocked, went thru its rotation and passed off to the rear motors / transmission and nothing. The drivers side does show movement (sound and I can feel the cable moving) but not movement on the frame. The right side Nothing.
Any ideas?
I've been all over the site trying to find a solution>
Things i've done: Looked at the two motors and the transmissions.
Played with the 2 micro switches on the right side trans, none on the left.
Checked the cables at the motors, good entry and clips are in solid.
Checked the computer under the dash for cold solder.
I need to find away to check the motor for the right side for power?
The trans on the right side has several washer / shims are there supposed to be creases in the washers?
Any help would be appreciated

Mike S
Windermere, FL
Old 07-14-2011, 09:41 PM
CalvinC4S
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Make sure you seated the frame arms into the channels on the trans. This is a common mistake when people pull the rear bolts and reinstall them.

Loosen the bolts a turn and wiggle the top, you will feel it pop into location then tighten.
Old 07-14-2011, 09:54 PM
hn
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

I need to find away to check the motor for the right side for power?

Did you disconnect the right cable from the transmission and see if it turns when you try to lower/raise the top? If it did and when you connected to the transmission it didn't or just intermittently turned the gear, it means your cable got shortened (happened to many cars for no apparent reasons). If you didn't try this and plan to try it, remove the left cable (the working side) from the rear motor so it won't turn while you test.

If the cable got shortened, trim the tube (so the cable cable can reach the trans)
Old 07-15-2011, 04:20 PM
mjsorl
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

This is what I have done: and the roof is now moving up and down.
Top motors in the rear: unclipped both cables, from the motors. Checked by feel to see if they were moving when the switch to open close was engaged. Found them to be working.
Reset the right side cable and clipped it into place checking to make sure that there was at least 1/2" of cable protruding from the casing. (kept the left cable unplugged).
Activated the switch to move the motors, nothing! Moved the micro switches and got movement, jerky but movement.
Took the transmission off of the side wall and opened it up, cleaned out the old grease, checked all of the gears for wear, saw only minor wear, repacked the unit with new grease, reassembled the unit and set it back into position; making sure the large gear in the trans housing was centered, reset the frame arms to the motor (this is part of the alignment) tested the motor / trans / switch and the entire top moved.
Left side: Unplugged the right cable. and set the left cable into the left motor. Checked the motor and trans operation, got movement. Took ttrans off the side wall and cleaned and repacked the unit with new grease, closed it back up and reset on wall. Here was where I found an issue. the acorn nut that the main gear spindle rides in at the outside of the housing was "broken, took it off ground off the damaged side, put a new washer on the inside and reset the "acorn" housing. Ran the cable into the motor and checked for operation. Good to go.
Realigned motor with the right side, see p-car DIY site, for more info. Rest the top microswitches and everything is now smoother, or as smooth as I am getting it, would still like to get the roof to come down a little slower,and smoother not slam into the cowl.
Well I am 5 hours older and happier than I was yesterday.

Quick Reply: Cab Top Issues