Sponsored by:

cdr 220 display mod

Search this Thread

Old 07-12-2011, 02:13 PM
silverporsche993
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default cdr 220 display mod

This is such a handy bunch... has anyone tried to modify the lcd display on the cdr 220? over 100.00 for the modification plus shipping to have it done. seems like it would as easy as replacing the polarized overlay on the lcd. Of course I dont want to be the first one to mess it up
Old 07-12-2011, 05:52 PM
Elonash
Instructor

Received 14 Likes on 9 Posts

I remember some thread from a Bmw forum with a test with other polarized film.
No real achievement that could invite to perform the same mod...

Thus my 220 is in a box, replaced by a Traffic Pro, waiting for a nice DIY...(I still can't imagine how the previous owner could have been happy with the 220...)
Old 07-13-2011, 05:55 PM
Madridcab
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I bought a cheap same model Becker off ebay with the adjustable display angle and swapped plastic casings on the display so I got the "Porsche" one on the Becker, turned out cheaper than getting the modified display..
Old 07-13-2011, 06:02 PM
Madridcab
Instructor

As I suspect the display hardware to be the same, it may be that changing firmware on the 220 you might get the "adjustable" display angle active on the 220, but have not seen anybody do this.
BTW with decent speakers in the stock door and rear shelf locations and an under seat sub under the passenger seat, the 220 sounds not bad at all, for now I see no need for external amplification..
Old 07-13-2011, 06:15 PM
nile13
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 94 Likes on 60 Posts

Madridcab, can you elaborate on the sub under the seat? What do you use?

PS. If I saw your cab in Madrid last summer/fall I'd wave Loved the city and the country! Scheming to come back, maybe trade my Boston place with someone in Spain for a month or two sometime.
Old 07-15-2011, 11:10 AM
silverporsche993
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I wasnt aware there is the same model Becker with an adjustable display. which one is it?
Old 07-15-2011, 04:43 PM
Madridcab
Instructor

Originally Posted by silverporsche993
I wasnt aware there is the same model Becker with an adjustable display. which one is it?
I am some 1800 miles separated from the car at the moment, do not remember, but believe any amber backlight Becker branded radio with the same faceplate might be OK (you only want to swap plastics), if in doubt go look for user manual for the becker models on internet and check it has the functionality, but I believe it was standard.

Originally Posted by nile13
Madridcab, can you elaborate on the sub under the seat? What do you use?

PS. If I saw your cab in Madrid last summer/fall I'd wave Loved the city and the country! Scheming to come back, maybe trade my Boston place with someone in Spain for a month or two sometime.
There should be several options from Pioneer, Alpine etc..(although not sure about fit), I use this as cheap and cheerful (was recommended to me by a pro installer):

http://www.caraudiobarato.com/index....id_product=491

It hides completely under the seat (slight restriction in lowering the rear of the seat fully), and does fill out the lows quite well, (although you could probably get better results with custom enclosures in rear footwell etc..). Downside is the copilot gets a massage if you turn up the volume (not kidding)..

If in Madrid, give a shout..

Quick Reply: cdr 220 display mod