Notices
993 Forum 1995-1998

Alcantara 993 steering wheel

Search this Thread

Old 07-13-2011, 03:21 PM
VNTGSPD
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I've got the same wheel as Spidey and after 1-2 years and 15K miles it still looks REALLY good. I agree with others that it can get matted and will never last as long as leather but I think it's a luxury worth a bit more maintenance and the cost of replacing every 4-5 years (maybe).

I just clean mine every 2 months or so with a damp terrycloth towel and the texture comes right back. If you don't clean it regularly, it WILL deteriorate quickly and not come back as well.

Sorry, not sure about a local source but I have a 4 spoke wheel you can borrow while you wait for yours to be done. You just have to come get it.
Old 07-14-2011, 04:50 AM
bosch's993
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I saw your set (steering wheel, shift boot/****, handbrake, and handbrake bowl) on one of the websites. When I saw pics of just the pieces I thought it would look horrible in the car, but yours looks really good and classy, steps up the interior quite a bit. Want to trade?

Originally Posted by Spidey 993TT
I bought my 993TT with the Alcantara steering wheel already done. I enjoy the feel very much compared to my other 993 leather steering wheel. What I also like is the fact I have black interior and the Alcantara stays fairly cool comparative to the leather when the hot sun is baking on it. Not hot to the touch at all.

In terms of dirt, when you do see a dirt mark it scratches right off.
Old 07-17-2011, 12:08 AM
onefstm
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by bosch's993
I saw your set (steering wheel, shift boot/****, handbrake, and handbrake bowl) on one of the websites. When I saw pics of just the pieces I thought it would look horrible in the car, but yours looks really good and classy, steps up the interior quite a bit. Want to trade?
I have been super happy with my stock wheel covered in Alcantara. It feels much better than stock and really updates the interior.

However, I would be open to seeing it if anyone is interested. The car has become primarily a track car and I wouldn't mind getting a smaller diameter wheel.
Attached Images   
Old 07-22-2011, 06:00 PM
onefstm
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

$300 shipped for my wheel, if anyone is interested.
Old 05-10-2013, 03:44 PM
odurandina
Team Owner

Location: one thousand, five hundred miles north of Ft. Lauderdale for the summer.
Received 212 Likes on 153 Posts

have any of you deleted your 4 spoke wheels for either a 968 CS wheel or 996 3 spoke airbag wheel ?
Old 05-10-2013, 04:42 PM
Mister C
Rennlist Member

Received 10 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by alexl911
In racing cars you're almost always wearing gloves with soft palms which, when combined with suede or alcantara trimmed steering wheels, provide a firm grip. If you're not wearing gloves, the alcantara actually gets matted due to sweat and grease from your hands and quickly becomes less grippy than a normal leather. I agree alcantara looks great new but it's not great for a road car.
My car came with a 3 spoke alcantara wrapped wheel. It feels really nice but doesn't look so good. I don't have a pic handy.

Originally Posted by odurandina
have any of you deleted your 4 spoke wheels for either a 968 CS wheel or 996 3 spoke airbag wheel ?
Me.

I liked the alcantara 3 spoke and I have the stock 4 spoke but I really wanted an air bag 3 spoke. So I bought a 996 spoke airbag wheel from another RLer.
Old 05-10-2013, 06:19 PM
RocketJohn
Pro

Received 32 Likes on 10 Posts

I'm in the process of changing out my 4 spoke for a 3 spoke 996 full leather wheel...
Old 05-11-2013, 09:05 AM
Marc W.
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The steering-wheel in my turbo is in alcantara since 5 years and 25Tkm. And it's still like brand-new...
Attached Images  

Quick Reply: Alcantara 993 steering wheel