Notices
993 Forum 1995-1998

Confessions of a Speedsterholic ...

Search this Thread

Old 07-13-2011, 08:33 PM
bb993tt
Three Wheelin'

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Wow ... makes my efforts pale in comparison!
Old 07-13-2011, 08:36 PM
JPP
Nordschleife Master

Received 31 Likes on 25 Posts

Originally Posted by rinlv1
JUST AMAZING!!!!!

We dont' mind if you use bigger pictures... Plz, keep them coming.
Btw, what does your speedo say?
It says 'Speedster S' I had the script added to the Tachometer by North Hollywood Speedometer when I sent the gauges down to them to have the inner rings polished.

Originally Posted by FisterD
That red dash with the white gauges is simply stunning!

How does that top work? Clam shell opens, top comes out, clam shell closes.....how does it get attached at the back over the clamshell?
Well, there's a procedure you follow in sequence. Clamshell opens and you unfurl the top, and pull it up and over to the windscreen. Then you grab the rear window area and bring it up and over the top:

Once it's clear, you put the clamshell down and then pull the rear window back over it. There are 2 plastic clips sewn into the inside lower surface of the canvas at the sides and one long one across the back lower edge. Also, there are two straps at the back. You go to the back of the car and pull on those straps to hook the long rear clip onto the slightly ajar clamshell, then get inside the car and pull the top down to the windshield frame and secure the two interior clamps just above each sunvisor. Then, get out and secure the rear side clips on each side, tuck the rear straps under the clamshell edge and reach into the rear behind the drivers seat and push down on a lever that causes two claw-hook/roller assemblies to grab the clamshell and pull it down snug to it's seals. Here's a picture showing the two rear pull straps hanging out (they really should be tucked under the clamshell at this point ..)

Now you know why Porsche got Soooo many complaints, expecially from women, about how hard it was to operate the top. They issued a couple of service bulletins about it and finally published an entire booklet dedicated just to 'splainin' it's proper operation :-)

Originally Posted by mklaskin
Hmmm, I don't know. I'm just not sure if the Ninemeister guys know what they're doing.

But, you seem like a good guy so I'll give you $40,000 for the car, in "as-is" condition. You'll sleep so well tonight once you agree to this offer...

The car's fantastic! I'm jealous. Enjoy in good health.
Hmmm. Add a 2 in front of that, and you'll have the standing offer that Graham has on his car ....
Old 07-13-2011, 10:06 PM
John Rygg
Burning Brakes

Received 19 Likes on 16 Posts

Stunning pictures of the interior , thank you.
the painted dash reminds me of the color keyed leather dash pod on the 964 speedster (but only much nicer)
the 9M leather dash looks much better then OEM

you just turned my 964 in to a Camery
Old 07-13-2011, 11:08 PM
timothymoffat
Rennlist Member

Received 981 Likes on 434 Posts

JP, Your SpeedArena Holiness, HOW THE HECK DID I MISS THIS?!?!?!

I'm blown away. So many details. So much secrecy. So much beauty. Wow......
Old 07-14-2011, 02:04 AM
gonzilla
Rennlist Member

Received 98 Likes on 64 Posts

No kidding Tim! That thing is the bees knees (that one's for Colin). Enjoy it in good health.

Oh yeah, I love the seatbelts too!
Old 07-14-2011, 02:46 AM
alpinadvl
Race Car

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by JPP
Oh! So NOW you're available AND talking to me ...
Who said anything about talking to you?..... I was just talking about a drive.... let the engine and the top down do all the talking.... jeez.....

Old 07-14-2011, 06:58 AM
NineMeister
Addict
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 191 Likes on 94 Posts

Originally Posted by JPP
Hmmm. Add a 2 in front of that, and you'll have the standing offer that Graham has on his car ....

It's true, and what's more the same applies to the handful of 9mRS's that we have built to date. The owner of #1, the white 9m64RS CS with 4.0 engine has had an offer of £150k and there is a genuine offer on the table of £300k for #2, the black 9m93RS Clubsport Widebody.

Aside from the current 9m11RS-R #6 & 9m93RS Clubsport #7 projects we also have 9m93 Speedster #8 scheduled to start within the next couple of weeks. Unsurprisingly we are now restructuring our business model to focus our resources on building more 9mRS & 9m93 Speedsters as turnkey cars to customer orders and already on the 9m turnkey programme is 9m64RS Clubsport #9 with genuine RS running gear and (possibly more importantly to the readers of this thread) next along will be #10, a RHD 9m93 Speedster S manual with just 8000 miles on the clock. We think this will be a one-off oportunity to own a 9m Speedster with such a low mileage so will be considering offers around £150k for the completed car.

Should I also mention that we're underway with a groundbreaking re-take on the GT3 platform which will have its own 9m VMS (Vehicle Management System) & completely re-engineered engine & chassis with the specific aim to be the ultimate trackday car? Shell build is currently underway on 9m96GT3RS #4 and the high-end electronics are now in beta test & software development. We're already planning spin-offs from this by porting the VMS across to the aircooled platform by fitting the first system to the 9m11RS-R project.

(JP. Graham's 9m93SS is #3, your's #5, although I fully understand that they are now names, not a number... )

Exciting times indeed.

Last edited by NineMeister; 07-14-2011 at 07:30 AM.
Old 07-14-2011, 09:44 AM
RP993
Racer

Received 47 Likes on 19 Posts

Originally Posted by NineMeister
It's true, and what's more the same applies to the handful of 9mRS's that we have built to date. The owner of #1, the white 9m64RS CS with 4.0 engine has had an offer of £150k and there is a genuine offer on the table of £300k for #2, the black 9m93RS Clubsport Widebody.

Aside from the current 9m11RS-R #6 & 9m93RS Clubsport #7 projects we also have 9m93 Speedster #8 scheduled to start within the next couple of weeks. Unsurprisingly we are now restructuring our business model to focus our resources on building more 9mRS & 9m93 Speedsters as turnkey cars to customer orders and already on the 9m turnkey programme is 9m64RS Clubsport #9 with genuine RS running gear and (possibly more importantly to the readers of this thread) next along will be #10, a RHD 9m93 Speedster S manual with just 8000 miles on the clock. We think this will be a one-off oportunity to own a 9m Speedster with such a low mileage so will be considering offers around £150k for the completed car.

Should I also mention that we're underway with a groundbreaking re-take on the GT3 platform which will have its own 9m VMS (Vehicle Management System) & completely re-engineered engine & chassis with the specific aim to be the ultimate trackday car? Shell build is currently underway on 9m96GT3RS #4 and the high-end electronics are now in beta test & software development. We're already planning spin-offs from this by porting the VMS across to the aircooled platform by fitting the first system to the 9m11RS-R project.

(JP. Graham's 9m93SS is #3, your's #5, although I fully understand that they are now names, not a number... )

Exciting times indeed.
couple of months, some new customers and the dirty dozen will be ready!
just wondering who is Nr.8 ?
Old 07-14-2011, 10:00 AM
SuperUser
Three Wheelin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

That is the way to do it!!
Old 07-14-2011, 10:07 AM
JPP
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by John Rygg
The painted dash reminds me of the color keyed leather dash pod on the 964 speedster (but only much nicer)....
.....you just turned my 964 in to a Camery
Now.. don't be dissin' your 964 like that .. they are incredible cars and represent a HUGE leap in chassis development in the 911 lineage ... Camery indeed!
You're right, the dash is one of my favorite design details and it is reflective of the 964 Speedster's design, but I actually got the inspiration from the 356 Speedster's I've owned in the past and the early '65 912 Painted Dash car that I restored last year:

Originally Posted by timothymoffat
JP, Your SpeedArena Holiness, HOW THE HECK DID I MISS THIS?!?!?!

I'm blown away. So many details. So much secrecy. So much beauty. Wow......
Hi Tim! Thanks, man ... yes, I've been a baaaaaad Pope! But think about it ... Secrecy, Beauty and Gobbs of money being channeled into a one-of-a-kind bauble ...?? Sounds like Church business to me .....
AND, it looks like we will finally meet up in October, right? You are going aren't you??

Originally Posted by gonzilla
No kidding Tim! That thing is the bees knees (that one's for Colin). Enjoy it in good health.

Oh yeah, I love the seatbelts too!
Thanks, me too ;-)

Originally Posted by alpinadvl
Who said anything about talking to you?..... I was just talking about a drive.... let the engine and the top down do all the talking.... jeez.....

Ok, ok, I get it .... you East Coast boy's are so Macho!!

Exciting times indeed.
You mean #3 and #5 in the 9m Custom-build lineage ... but we are still the first and second 9m93SpeedsterS's .... I think we DESERVE our own 'special' lineup
Old 07-14-2011, 02:34 PM
NineMeister
Addict
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 191 Likes on 94 Posts

Originally Posted by JPP
You mean #3 and #5 in the 9m Custom-build lineage ... but we are still the first and second 9m93SpeedsterS's .... I think we DESERVE our own 'special' lineup

Oh, don't worry, you and Graham can definitely have your own special line up....
Old 07-14-2011, 04:14 PM
JPP
Nordschleife Master

Oh, don't worry, you and Graham can definitely have your own special line up....
Uh oh, ......
Old 07-14-2011, 04:18 PM
JPP
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by RP993
couple of months, some new customers and the dirty dozen will be ready!
just wondering who is Nr.8 ?
Hmm. Me Too ....!
Old 07-14-2011, 10:57 PM
Cactus
Noodle Jr.
Rennlist Member

Received 207 Likes on 133 Posts

Originally Posted by JPP
Hmm. Me Too ....!
I wish it was me with a white/can can version
Old 07-14-2011, 11:07 PM
ironimages
Three Wheelin'

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Great thread! Thanks for posting the build pictures.

Quick Reply: Confessions of a Speedsterholic ...