Notices
993 Forum 1995-1998

Confessions of a Speedsterholic ...

Search this Thread

Old 07-12-2011, 12:30 PM
BSL
Three Wheelin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Congrats, she is gorgeous! I love the picture of ArenaSpeedy and CobaltSpeedy (sorry if I missed the shade Graham, can't remember it from the thread)--they look spectacular together.
Old 07-12-2011, 02:34 PM
roche
Rennlist Member

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts

simply stunning. WOW.
Old 07-12-2011, 03:24 PM
vjd3
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Magnificent!
Old 07-12-2011, 04:21 PM
boman993
Drifting

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

AWww man! That's amazing! Thanks for sharing!!
Old 07-12-2011, 04:25 PM
V
Drifting

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by JPP

Hi Viggo! Damn, I thought I was going to be in Stockholm this fall, but the meeting as been moved to the U.S. I could have met the Black Pearl ..
Anyway, thanks and yes, it's been quite a journey .. but I think worth it. The steering wheel was one I bought from a company here in the Bay Area. They take standard 3-spokers and rebuild them with bigger diameter and more 'ergonomic' grips .. but honestly, their leatherwork was crap, so 9M's trimmer recovered the leather sections to match the rest of the interior. I really like it. Now if I could just find a cheap leather airbag .. but that's an oxymoron methinks ...
JPP that's too bad it got moved. But if you are ever here, just give me a ring. Anytime. I'd love to show you the Black Pearl . What was your reasoning when chosing which wheel/shifter/e-brake to go with? Did you have full leather in your C2S cab or did you just have the gray vinyl interior parts (dash, centerconsole etc.) covered in black leather?

I think what you have created is so cool. I'd go as far as saying that half the 993 speedsters in the world are RL creations. That says a lot. Is this a great place or what?
Old 07-12-2011, 05:01 PM
JPP
Nordschleife Master

Received 31 Likes on 25 Posts

Originally Posted by BSL
Congrats, she is gorgeous! I love the picture of ArenaSpeedy and CobaltSpeedy (sorry if I missed the shade Graham, can't remember it from the thread)--they look spectacular together.
Me too! They really complement each other and two very different design exercises .. mine's all stock and stodgy and Graham's very modern with those 19's on there ... I like it all!

Originally Posted by roche
simply stunning. WOW.
Thanks Roche ..

Originally Posted by vjd3
Magnificent!

Originally Posted by _boman
AWww man! That's amazing! Thanks for sharing!!
You're welcome ...

Originally Posted by Viggo
JPP that's too bad it got moved. But if you are ever here, just give me a ring. Anytime. I'd love to show you the Black Pearl . What was your reasoning when chosing which wheel/shifter/e-brake to go with? Did you have full leather in your C2S cab or did you just have the gray vinyl interior parts (dash, centerconsole etc.) covered in black leather?
Actually, the dash top is a 9m blank that they make themselves and I bought the doorpanel cores from Appbiz and sent them with the car, but 9m trimmed them and Marc and I designed the custom door pocket after the 'comfort' RS panel. The center console, door caps and knee kick were just re-trimmed in matching black leather and a new shift boot was fitted. The Carbon/Aluminum shifter and ebrake came on the car from the factory as did the Aluminum look gauges but I sent them all down to North Hollywood Speedo to have the inner rings polished and the 'Speedster S' script added to the Tach. The doorsills came from that guy on eBay .. that several RLr's have used here .. REALLY nice guy and VERY reasonable. He worked with me to do the custom Speedster S script in the size and spacing that I wanted and since he did all that artwork, I ordered two sets and gave one set to Graham for being so generous with his time and knowledge ... It's been an AWESOME journey people-wise :-) Almost better than getting the actual car ... ok, I said almost ..
So, this morning, as expected, I was up WAY early to check on the battery charge (not good) and I decided to wash off the travel grime and then set the rear badgework up. ...... One thing I've learned over the years of Speedster ownership is you always wash the car with the top down. That way you don't get 'overzealous' with the water and are VERY careful what direction the spray is going. These cars are no exception because it's really the only way to clean the clamshell .. and an old beachtowel thrown into the back catches any runoff .. worked perfectly! So, I cleaned her up a little, then I moved the front plate off the nose and into the Turbo inlet at the bottom. For some reason the nose mount worked visually on the Cab, but it looks really bad on the Speedster ... Then, I got to work taping off the rear decklid to make tick marks for the centering and positioning of the Speedster S badging on the rear ... I originally wanted just a Titanium colored 'stock' S at the end of a Speedster badge painted silver .. but Marc at 9m and Graham said I should try something a little 'different' ... Soooo here goes .. what do you think? It's growing on me ...

Last edited by JPP; 08-19-2011 at 03:20 PM.
Old 07-12-2011, 05:19 PM
Magdaddy
Rennlist Member

Received 241 Likes on 183 Posts

breathtaking JP!

I like the yellow S script, compliments the calipers.

So I have only one concern here...I understand that you and Jager will be at Rennsport...but Graham isn't planning on attending too is he...WITH HIS CAR?

Because I'm pretty sure that getting the three Speedsters together will trigger some kinda of cosmic time/space conundrum of biblical proportions. Knida make that whole global warming thing look like a boogger, wouldn't it!

Hey, didn't that preacher pick some date in October for the end of civilization?

Seriously, simply spectacular. And yea, Harvey the ebay sill guy is a class act.
Old 07-12-2011, 05:26 PM
NineMeister
Addict
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 191 Likes on 94 Posts

Originally Posted by Viggo
I think what you have created is so cool. I'd go as far as saying that half the 993 speedsters in the world are RL creations. That says a lot. Is this a great place or what?

Won't be long before 50% are 9m93 Speedsters.....
Old 07-12-2011, 05:33 PM
CAHRERA
Rennlist Member

Received 30 Likes on 19 Posts

AWESOME! When's the next Bay Area Mini Meet?
Old 07-12-2011, 06:23 PM
brucec59
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Beautiful. Yes, let's have a Bay Area gathering!
Old 07-12-2011, 07:09 PM
LimeyBoy
Rennlist Member

Received 206 Likes on 123 Posts

Congrats, some really nice touches on your beaut - but all three speedsters are so very cool. I like the yellow 'S' script matching the calipers.
Old 07-12-2011, 08:36 PM
Cactus
Noodle Jr.
Rennlist Member

Received 207 Likes on 133 Posts

Not a fan of the letter S but man what a car. You probably can't stay out of the garage at night!
Old 07-12-2011, 09:06 PM
cosmic_993
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Incredible. I want to see in person. For sure worth getting a bunch of us locals together again before Rennsport Reunion in Oct. Its been a year or more since the last one.
Old 07-12-2011, 09:07 PM
niche
Drifting

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Very, very, impressive.
Old 07-12-2011, 09:26 PM
JPP
Nordschleife Master

Received 31 Likes on 25 Posts

Originally Posted by Magdaddy
breathtaking JP!

I like the yellow S script, compliments the calipers.

So I have only one concern here...I understand that you and Jager will be at Rennsport...but Graham isn't planning on attending too is he...WITH HIS CAR?

Because I'm pretty sure that getting the three Speedsters together will trigger some kinda of cosmic time/space conundrum of biblical proportions. Kinda make that whole global warming thing look like a boogger, wouldn't it!
Yes, that was the idea .. yellow calipers = yellow S. I'm actually digging it now ...
So, Graham's car for a U.S. tour? Not for a lack of trying ... He was actually seriously considering it at one point, but flying the car in .. Graham doesn't mess around! But .. it appears it's not ment to be this year .... although having all 3 AND Sienfeld's there would really be the Trifecta

Originally Posted by NineMeister
Won't be long before 50% are 9m93 Speedsters.....
Mmmmmm, Mm. You KNOW I'm ready ..!! Bring it ON baby ..

Originally Posted by CAHRERA
AWESOME! When's the next Bay Area Mini Meet?
FDM BBQ ... that's gonna be the Thang ...

Originally Posted by brucec59
Beautiful. Yes, let's have a Bay Area gathering!
Need to rattle Darin and Mark's chains ..... it's gonna be a blast :-)

Originally Posted by LimeyBoy
Congrats, some really nice touches on your beaut - but all three speedsters are so very cool. I like the yellow 'S' script matching the calipers.
Originally Posted by Cactus
Not a fan of the letter S but man what a car. You probably can't stay out of the garage at night!
It's o.k., you can block it out with your hand when you look at her butt :-) I have to say, I'm spending a LOT more time out there lately ...

Originally Posted by cosmic_993
Incredible. I want to see in person. For sure worth getting a bunch of us locals together again before Rennsport Reunion in Oct. Its been a year or more since the last one.
FDM ... I'm tellin' ya, that's the ticket. I bet we can get it together for August ...

Originally Posted by niche
Very, very, impressive.

Quick Reply: Confessions of a Speedsterholic ...