Sponsored by:

C2, C4, C2S, C4S - which to buy?

Search this Thread

Old 07-12-2011, 11:54 AM
race911
Rennlist Member

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by ericthepilot
The 4 wheel drive is a expensive and cumbersome extra that impedes on many service items when working on the car. Speed sensors and extra transmission weight reduce car reliability and performance.
It is? What sensors, what impediment to service? (I serviced mine a week ago, fresh in my mind.)

Extra weight? Racing in a professional series? Reduction in performance? I'm 3mph difference on trap speed entering T1 @ Thunderhill between the 4S and the faux RS.
Old 07-12-2011, 12:35 PM
race911
Rennlist Member

Just parroting the information given. I didn't design the car. But the more you carry, the more can brake. There is another tread going on 4 wheel drive and tire sizes, and how it affects the computers ans speed sensors.
The 993 AWD system is 100% mechanical. A viscous coupler, a driveshaft, a second (front) differential, and a couple of axles.

(Now if we're concerned with out-of-range front and rear tire sizes, and how that relates to ABS functionality, that would be the same across both the AWD and RWD platforms.)
Old 07-12-2011, 01:17 PM
Kika
Nordschleife Master

Received 80 Likes on 61 Posts

Originally Posted by x50type
crw

I recently sold my 09 997 because:

- was able to sell it for what paid for after 2 years use

Is that not terribly rare? How did you manage that?

probably not "terribly"

I bought my 911SC, used it for about 10 years and sold it for only $300 less than what I originally bought it for. And it would have actually sold it for a little more, but since the tires were crap, and they buyer was going to be driving back to Oklahoma, I was not going to let him go on a cross country on those tires, so I put new ones one for him.
Old 07-12-2011, 01:50 PM
earossi
Burning Brakes

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts
Default I'm a little late to this thread!

Looks like it all has been said. Going back to your original posting, you are thinking about the 993 to get away from the sophistication of the 997. Which to me means that you want to feel that you are "hooked" up with the road. You can get this with a 993 or any earlier series.

So, having owned 5 different 911's, I agree with the advice of others: Don't narrow it down to a C2, C2s, C4, etc. Just go and drive as many 993's as you can. You will eventually find one that feels more "right" to you and that should be the one you buy. Chances are that the "right" car will be for a bunch of subjective reasons......so don't worry. Perhaps you like the color, or the handling, or the combo of color, handling, and mods to the car. Really doesn't matter.

My only advice beyond that is that if you intend for the car to be a "driver" rather than a garage queen......don't pay the premium charged for low mileage cars. It's not worth it. Why spend an extra $10k on a 40k mile car if you intend to put 20k miles a year on it. Those premiums should be reserved for buyers whose greatest criteria is low mileage. These cars are so reliable and have such long lives, that buying a car that has 60k+ miles on the odo in no way is an indication that you will have problems sooner than having bought a
30k mile car. Issues such as leaks and electronics issues are age related....and not necessarilly mileage related.

Have fun in your evaluations. For the amount in your budget, you should be able to find almost anything to your liking in the 993. Enjoy the ride and get the car that feels "right"......to you.
Old 07-12-2011, 01:54 PM
goofballdeluxe
Rennlist Member

Received 151 Likes on 98 Posts

well to tell my story, as I was looking in the last 6 months, I learned a lot from the garage guys around here. To each their own budget, and mine was set in your same range. And after long discussions with many experienced guys my solution was by deduction.
The Turbo is beautiful but too expensive to repair when things go south in the engine bay.
The Targa and the Convertible can have problems where the cables of the roof system snag/bind and then your stuck with your roof. Not a good plan with the changing weather all the time here. And why have that headache lurking around everyday when you roll out of your garage ?
The 4 wheel drive is a expensive and cumbersome extra that impedes on many service items when working on the car. Speed sensors and extra transmission weight reduce car reliability and performance.
For me the widebody has the better look, more sexy then the NB.
So by deduction the C2S was the choice. Then the hunt started and that took a long time to find one in my budget. But the best feeling is driving it home. No one can take that away from you.

I hope you will find your car quickly

Eric
Nothing personal, but there's much bad information on this post, especially regarding how expensive the Turbo is relative to the N/A, and the info here on the AWD is completely wrong.
Old 07-12-2011, 05:17 PM
911Dave
Rennlist Member

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

I agree with Goofball.
Old 07-12-2011, 05:57 PM
x50type
Three Wheelin'

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Kika

the 911SC is a real Porsche....................

997 is a ................

with all the 997's about i would have expected a drop of >25%.

996's drop like a stone.............
Old 07-12-2011, 06:50 PM
CalvinC4S
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

C4S or C2...

Loaded up with awesome or light and tight.
Old 07-12-2011, 08:40 PM
crw
Rennlist Member

Received 353 Likes on 210 Posts

"I recently sold my 09 997 because:

- was able to sell it for what paid for after 2 years use

Is that not terribly rare? How did you manage that?"

Bought right after economy tanked.

MSRP $79K, bought for $62K becuase of factory fiveback money to the dealer.
Old 07-13-2011, 01:11 AM
mrsullivan
Nordschleife Master

Received 14 Likes on 10 Posts

I will be in the minority opinion and say that you will not get a "really nice" wide body car for $40k. A good c2, yes...
Old 07-13-2011, 01:33 AM
911Dave
Rennlist Member

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by mrsullivan
I will be in the minority opinion and say that you will not get a "really nice" wide body car for $40k. A good c2, yes...
I agree completely. Really nice wide body values have been strengthening over the last year. I rarely see one for less than 45k, and most asking prices are in the 50-60k range. Some much higher.
Old 07-13-2011, 02:12 AM
race911
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by CalvinC4S
C4S or C2...

Loaded up with awesome or light and tight.
Just under 300 lb. difference between my two. One is as heavy as can be with the aerokit wing, etc., the other pretty much as light as you'll get in an arguably street legal car still having its steel body panels and factory glass.

Bottom line is that 200lbs. of passenger is at most 2 seconds a lap on a 2+ minute track. So I'm seeing 3-4mph less terminal down the longest straights, and losing maybe 1/10 in each turn.
Old 07-13-2011, 10:50 AM
mrsullivan
Nordschleife Master

Received 14 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by 911Dave
I agree completely. Really nice wide body values have been strengthening over the last year. I rarely see one for less than 45k, and most asking prices are in the 50-60k range. Some much higher.
I actually think that the SELLING prices of pristine C2S and C4S cars have held pretty constant over the last 7 years.

I bought my 98 Arctic Silver C2S from Premier w/ 20k ish miles on it in 2004. I paid somewhere between $50-55k for it. Granted this is a premium cost dealer, so I paid a bit of a tax for that, but for the mileage and perfect condition I felt the price was fair. They have the same car right now, with even less miles, that could probably be bought for $60k ish. Pretty stable over 7 years. I had the same experience with my 97 C2S, and have enough friends on this board and elsewhere to know what they paid for their widebody cars over the last 7 years. Low mileage (30k range) C2S and C4S cars that are in near perfect/"very nice" condition seem to consistently sell between $45-60k.

If mileage is not an issue, probably can get a little lower for a higher mileage well maintained car.
Old 07-13-2011, 11:45 AM
mborkow
Drifting

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The AWD drive technology of the C4 and C4S is not a problem...in my years of owning a 993, it was one of the things that never failed. Personally, and this is all a matter of personal opinion, I'd get a 1995 C4 cab...that's the perfect 993.

Quick Reply: C2, C4, C2S, C4S - which to buy?