Rennlist - Porsche Discussion Forums

Rennlist - Porsche Discussion Forums (https://rennlist.com/forums/)
-   993 Forum (https://rennlist.com/forums/993-forum-58/)
-   -   How To Jack Up A 993 (https://rennlist.com/forums/993-forum/643292-how-to-jack-up-a-993-a.html)

Cowhorn 09-10-2013 09:53 AM

Nice product, but I don't think your pads will fit my jack. Your pads look much bigger than my jack platform.

justin993 03-08-2014 03:53 PM

Giving a bump to an old useful thread...

I'm sure a lot of us are in the same position right not - it's getting warm enough to work on the car in an unheated garage, but the roads are still way too much of a mess with pot holes and salt to drive.

PRSWILL 03-08-2014 07:45 PM

Yup- my car is lowered and I was wonder how best to do this

esses 03-08-2014 09:23 PM

Originally Posted by jpoint (Post 10748134)
Here's an option. Excuse the blatant self promotion, but we discount to RL members.

Skinned Knuckles: All About Jack Stands - Jay Leno's Garage - YouTube

looks like I need a set of those

NYC993 03-09-2014 12:40 AM

Just bought low profile aluminum jack...can't believe how light it is. I hope it lasts.

P.S. Jacking my car with regular jack the first time around was comical...took me good 30-40 min. Lift rear...jack doesn't fit in the front. Lift front first, and then jack doesn't fit in the rear.... I had to roll the car onto 4 small ramps to have it off the ground so jack can easily fit. Hopefully the low profile jack will make things easy.

_snowbird_ 11-02-2015 11:04 AM

I tried to use this method yesterday, and think something went wrong. When I started lifting the rear, I heard a clink, and noticed my exhaust tips were now firmly touching the bumper cutouts for the tips.

Did my motor mounts just give up on me? Or something else?

boman993 11-02-2015 11:23 AM

Originally Posted by _snowbird_ (Post 12722225)
I tried to use this method yesterday, and think something went wrong. When I started lifting the rear, I heard a clink, and noticed my exhaust tips were now firmly touching the bumper cutouts for the tips.

Did they "unclick" and return to the normal position once you released the jack back down? The only thing holding the engine to the car are those mounts, so all the force would be there. The Transmission mount has some flex to it. It's possible that maybe they gave out with the upward force. Or, if they're original to the car, they might just have some play to them.

P-daddy 11-02-2015 11:40 AM

Originally Posted by _snowbird_ (Post 12722225)

How much upward deflection of the tips are you seeing? Did the clink happen as soon as you started to lift or after the tips made contact then bent down...clink!? May be time for new motor mounts.

_snowbird_ 11-02-2015 11:54 AM

Originally Posted by boman993 (Post 12722284)
Did they "unclick" and return to the normal position once you released the jack back down? The only thing holding the engine to the car are those mounts, so all the force would be there. The Transmission mount has some flex to it. It's possible that maybe they gave out with the upward force. Or, if they're original to the car, they might just have some play to them.

Yes, when I saw what was happening, I immediately lowered it back down and the tips returned to normal position. Except now the driver's side tip is now loose. I think the "clink" I heard was that tip breaking free at the friction fitting where it connects to the exhaust system.

_snowbird_ 11-02-2015 11:58 AM

Originally Posted by P-daddy (Post 12722332)
How much upward deflection of the tips are you seeing? Did the clink happen as soon as you started to lift or after the tips made contact then bent down...clink!? May be time for new motor mounts.

The tips currently sit maybe 1.5cm below the bumper cutout, so the deflection definitely travelled some distance.
https://farm6.staticflickr.com/5696/...107e4780_b.jpg

Yes, I think the "clink" sound came when the driver's side tip was bent downwards when it hit the bumper. It is now loose (still attached, just wiggles around now). The passenger side returned to its normal position, and is still firmly connected.

boman993 11-02-2015 12:05 PM

Originally Posted by _snowbird_ (Post 12722391)
Yes, when I saw what was happening, I immediately lowered it back down and the tips returned to normal position. Except now the driver's side tip is now loose. I think the "clink" I heard was that tip breaking free at the friction fitting where it connects to the exhaust system.

Ok, that's good news. If you had broken motor mounts they would sag down too ~ you'd know right away.

I would loosen the other exhaust tip clamp bolt so that it doesn't hit the bumper either. I scratched my ceramic coating on my wide ovals with my C4S bumper the same way last year during the engine drop. Suuucks! Lesson learned...

Before I got my lift, I used this lifting procedure and it worked great! Sketchiest part of it was adjusting the jack stands to be higher and higher on either end..ugh..I don't miss that at all!

_snowbird_ 11-02-2015 12:10 PM

Originally Posted by boman993 (Post 12722428)
Ok, that's good news. If you had broken motor mounts they would sag down too ~ you'd know right away.

I would loosen the other exhaust tip clamp bolt so that it doesn't hit the bumper either.

Ok - thanks Jakob. Good advice. :thumbup: Sounds like my mounts are probably saggy - but not broken. I'll have to think about replacing those soon.

P-daddy 11-02-2015 12:13 PM

Gerard- ok good that was my thought. I'd lower the other tip a tad and try lifting again. This time make note of actual deflection of the tips. If you see anything more than 1-1.5" movement, I'd replace the mounts soon. Replaced mine with RS mounts and love it!

_snowbird_ 11-02-2015 12:26 PM

Originally Posted by P-daddy (Post 12722456)
Gerard- ok good that was my thought. I'd lower the other tip a tad and try lifting again. This time make note of actual deflection of the tips. If you see anything more than 1-1.5" movement, I'd replace the mounts soon. Replaced mine with RS mounts and love it!

Ugh - I have so many reasons why I'd love to drop my engine over the winter, but I think I'd have to take a month off of work (and my family) to accomplish anything! :p

Thanks for the speedy responses guys. Much appreciated! :bowdown:

Cactus 11-02-2015 01:35 PM

I just noticed the pix are down. Not sure why but I will try to get that fixed.