Sponsored by:

Windshield Rubber Surround

Search this Thread

Old 07-05-2011, 11:13 PM
earossi
Burning Brakes

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts
Default Windshield Rubber Surround

I have had two instances of the rubber molding surround for the windshield coming loose and buffeting the car body. It appears that the molding has a rib on it that just gets tucked into the cavity between the windshield and the body. Is there a trick to getting it to remain in place? I would prefer not to glue it in place, but am not really sure what to do. When I examined the molding that had come loose, I could not really see any part of the molding that appears to have failed.
Old 07-06-2011, 12:45 AM
NickyP
Rennlist Member

Received 16 Likes on 13 Posts

Ernie
It sounds like the windshield seal shrunk somehow. I just installed a new one to alleviate the squeaks that occur when the "fuzz" on the inside of the seal wears off. Mine took some real strong thumbs to work it in the gap between the body and the windshield; it snapped in very securely. I'd suggest buying a new seal and replacing it before gluing it down, it's an easy DYI.

Nick
Old 07-06-2011, 09:19 AM
jakfrost
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My rear window seal came out of the channel at the bottom the other day while driving in a really strong wind, and started beating the window as it flopped around...I pulled over and tried in vain to 'push' it back into the plastic channel to 'lock' it into place. No luck. Had to get off the highway and take the small, read slower, roads home.
The dealer says the plastic 'channel' is part of the rear window and cannot be replaced independently, so there are 2 choices...use a small drop of urethane sealant in a few spots along the channel and press the rubber seal into place, or, replace the rear window and seal. Ouch.
I believe the front is the same design...
Oh, and these rubber 'seals' around our front and rear glass are not really 'seals'...they don't really 'seal' anything except the dirt and debris from getting in there. They are designed to be able to allow moisture to exit at the corners of the glass, or so I am told. Its seems to be a rust prevention feature, i.e. no 'trapped' moisture under the 'seal', which should really be called a 'moulding' I suppose.

Jim
Old 07-06-2011, 10:14 AM
skl2
Rennlist Member

Received 284 Likes on 149 Posts

Originally Posted by NickyP
Ernie
It sounds like the windshield seal shrunk somehow. I just installed a new one to alleviate the squeaks that occur when the "fuzz" on the inside of the seal wears off. Mine took some real strong thumbs to work it in the gap between the body and the windshield; it snapped in very securely. I'd suggest buying a new seal and replacing it before gluing it down, it's an easy DYI.

Nick
I just put one on a friends car...strong thumbs is an understatement! Esp with the windshield rope TSB! My thumbs were sore for a few days.
Old 07-06-2011, 12:24 PM
Garth S
Rennlist Member

I sprayed Fluid Film into the metal channel to lube the 'V' tab of the gasket - worked well.
Center the gasket both top & bottom with a thumb push in the channel - then work to the mid height point of the verticals from these centers ..... there's a lot of stretch to do in getting a good fit .... and a royal PITA should one end up +/- 3" short or long if started at one point & worked the whole circumference ...
Old 07-06-2011, 04:37 PM
2Many Cars
Three Wheelin'

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

If you can't get it pressed in place use a little 3M weatherstrip adhesive to hold it in. The adhesive is meant to be used on painted surfaces and the seal can be carefully pulled off without damaging the paint if/when you later need to replace it.
Old 07-06-2011, 05:40 PM
Rialas
Instructor

I removed mine to replace and on removal, the rubber bit that slots onto the windscreen channel/groove split. This is probably what's happened to yours. You'll need to dig out the old rubber from the channel with a small straight screwdriver.
It's cheap to replace the outer seal, but a bit of a pain to put back on. Maybe some wd40 will help.

If you do replace the rubber, be sure to buy the right one. Two different type depending on year. Check out last page of pdf.
Attached Images

Last edited by Rialas; 07-06-2011 at 05:59 PM.
Old 07-07-2011, 09:48 AM
earossi
Burning Brakes

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts
Default Buffetting Window Moulding

Thanks for all the responses. Since the molding is cosmetically OK, I may try a few "selective" dabs of something to hold it in place if it comes out of the window track a third time.

Or, since my windshield is cracked in a corner (hit is with my orbital buffer while polishing the car) I may just get a new molding to go in with the new windshield.

Thanks again. It sounds as though my issue is not that uncommon.
Old 07-07-2011, 10:13 AM
Al Z
Burning Brakes

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Rialas,
I wanted to replace the front seal and found out the small tab keeps breaking off in the slot.
How did you remove it, without damagging the channel. It seems to be inthere pretty good.
Any suggestions would be appreaciated.
Thanks in advance,
AL Z
Old 07-07-2011, 02:59 PM
Rialas
Instructor

Originally Posted by Al Z
Rialas,
I wanted to replace the front seal and found out the small tab keeps breaking off in the slot.
How did you remove it, without damagging the channel. It seems to be inthere pretty good.
Any suggestions would be appreaciated.
Thanks in advance,
AL Z
Hi
I don't thing you can damage the channel easily (hardish plastic). The outer rubber is the weak point.
The only tip I can give would probably be to start on a "straight" not on any of the four corners as it's tighter there, and go slow, evenly and steady. Sudden pulls cause it to rip. Also probably best done in warm weather, too cold and the rubber may be a little brittle, and too hot probably to soft.
If your finding a bit that is slightly catching whilst pulling the rubber gently, help it out with a small screwdriver in the channel as you pull the rubber gently.

With the new outer rubber, be carefull. It has a join. The circumference of the rubber is slightly smaller than the circumference of the windscreen, and if you stretch it unevenly, this join will break. Ask me how I know. Got it right after two replacements
Regards
Old 07-07-2011, 05:26 PM
NickyP
Rennlist Member

According to the TSB I saw on replacing the seal you start with the where the seal is joined placing it at the bottom center position of the windshield. I had a bucket of slightly soapy water and a sponge and lubricated as I went along. The seal is contoured taking the guesswork out of how much to stretch it. I used a plastic bike tire thingy to help remove the old seal and to assist my thumbs with the install. I also installed the "rope" as an additive measure to eliminate squeaks. Same process, lubed it up and pressed it in the channel, but zero thumb power needed, it was a cinch. Fingers crossed...so far so good....no squeaks or groans from the windshield. I hope I'm not jinxing myself.
Old 07-08-2011, 06:47 PM
kjr914
Drifting

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by NickyP
Fingers crossed...so far so good....no squeaks or groans from the windshield. I hope I'm not jinxing myself.
And my new seal w/o the rope is squeaking... So I think I'm headed towards learning some of NickyP's "rope tricks".

Quick Reply: Windshield Rubber Surround