993 Alarm Module Programming Issue

Search this Thread

Old 07-01-2011, 04:32 PM
nsolling
Track Day

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 993 Alarm Module Programming Issue

Hi rennlisters,

I am having an issue programming a new remote key fob on my 993 convertible.
I think my DME was at some point chipped and the driveblock removed, but the wiring in the car not fixed to bypass the alarm module.
This means that my car has the red keyfob led blinking - Everything works though and my only worry is that my keyfob will fail one day.

Anyway - I borrowed my friends 993, which is working fine and no errors on the alarm system - My plan is to install my Alarm module: 993 618 159 01 in his car and then run the programming cycle there and then reinstall it in my car.

I just want to get quick confirmation that when the car is in the programming cycle you only talk to the alarm module and not the actual DME.
I of course do not want to program my keyfobs to work in his car :-)

Any thoughts greatly appreaciated.

Nicolai
Old 07-01-2011, 07:37 PM
Stealth 993
Nordschleife Master

Received 208 Likes on 126 Posts

If the light is blinking, then the alarm is still working. Most likely you have a chip that is not capable with the immobilizer, & causing the flashing light.

I bet if you remove the immobilizer, you will not be able to start your car.
Old 07-02-2011, 01:53 AM
nsolling
Track Day

Hi Stealth,

Yes, you are absolutely right - The Alarm is working. The issue is that due to the blinking the module never goes into programming mode.
That is why I wanted to put my module in my friends 993 to program a new fob on my module and then after programming just put my module back in my car.
Any comments on this approach?
Old 07-02-2011, 06:49 AM
nsolling
Track Day

Hey everyone,
Saga continues - Went to my workshop today and they were very helpfull.
Shows that my car (a 1995 993 C2 Cab Tiptronic) has the DME with the following partnumber: 993 618 123 10 - According to the PET catalogue there is no DME or other porsche partnumber which matches this.
The closest thing we get to it is the 993 618 123 11, which is a DME for a NON-Driveblock car!
Very strange...

Next thing I will do is to get the full build list from porsche - then i can see which type of DME it is born with, and if it is indeed a car with Driveblock.

Issue being that everything else for the driveblock is there: 993 618 159 02 (The remote module) and the 928 618 260 03, which is the alarm system from the driveblock cars.
I am wondering if this was fitted afterwards and that the car is infact a non-driveblock version.

Anyway,
Any ideas and pointers would be greatly appreciated - I guess all drills down to the fact that I do not know the whole pedigree of this car :-)
Old 07-02-2011, 10:49 AM
Stealth 993
Nordschleife Master

You have the WRONG chip in your car. Put in a stock chip & all will be fine. Or get the proper chip for your ECU.
Old 07-03-2011, 03:45 PM
nsolling
Track Day

Hi Mike,

Sorry for the stupid question but which chip are you referring too? The ECU chip, which would normally have been replaced for chiptuning?
Is it common that these chips are causing the alarm module detection to fail?

Nicolai
Old 07-03-2011, 07:58 PM
Stealth 993
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by nsolling
Hi Mike,

Sorry for the stupid question but which chip are you referring too? The ECU chip, which would normally have been replaced for chiptuning?
Is it common that these chips are causing the alarm module detection to fail?

Nicolai
Not a stupid question.

Since you stated your ECU was chipped, & you had the blinking alarm light going on, it's due to having the wrong ECU chip (from the "tuning") or you just have the wrong ECU for your car.

I got a used chip for the 95 & it was suppose to work with the immobilizer. While I had more HP from the chip, I also had the blinking red light. It drove me nuts. I sold the chip, & put the stock one back in. Now all is well.
Old 07-04-2011, 05:16 AM
nsolling
Track Day

Thanks Mike,
I would assume that the wrong ECU would simply stop the car from driving, right? Especially with all this driveblock stuff on the 993?
Actually as I wrote earlier then the porsche partnumber printed on my ecu does not even exist in the porsche part numbers catalogue, so a bit puzzled about this. Would not be the first time the part number list is not correct though :-)
Old 07-05-2011, 10:03 AM
nsolling
Track Day

Hi Mike,

Would you also happen to know something about programming the actual key-fob?
The alarm module error that I have in my dash is avoiding me to program a new key-fob, so my plan was to take my friends car, put my module in his car, get the module into programming phase, program the keys and then put his module back in his car.

Is this an ok way of doing it, or does the alarm module some kind of hexed connection to the DME? (Really do not want to screw up my friends car :-)
Old 07-05-2011, 11:24 AM
Stealth 993
Nordschleife Master

Thanks Mike,
I would assume that the wrong ECU would simply stop the car from driving, right? Especially with all this driveblock stuff on the 993?
Actually as I wrote earlier then the porsche partnumber printed on my ecu does not even exist in the porsche part numbers catalogue, so a bit puzzled about this. Would not be the first time the part number list is not correct though :-)
Maybe? You can swap some of the ECU's. Your best bet is get a stock chip for your ECU, or get the proper chip in there. You can pop open the ECU & see what chip you have & the part # then check & make sure it's for a immobilizer car.

Hi Mike,

Would you also happen to know something about programming the actual key-fob?
The alarm module error that I have in my dash is avoiding me to program a new key-fob, so my plan was to take my friends car, put my module in his car, get the module into programming phase, program the keys and then put his module back in his car.

Is this an ok way of doing it, or does the alarm module some kind of hexed connection to the DME? (Really do not want to screw up my friends car :-)
Not sure if you can swap the alarm into another car. You are much better off swapping the ECU's.

You NEED the key code for the alarm to program the alarm. It's a PITA, & takes quite a few tires, the alarm will go off on you a few times while you figure it out.

http://www.pcarworkshop.com/index.ph...ing_the_remote
Old 07-05-2011, 02:55 PM
nsolling
Track Day

Hey mike,
Thanks, I understand that the process is PITA, but that is why it is my local porsche workshop who will do it.
Unfortunately the i do not have the original ECU, but trying to source one down.
However the remote modules are identical in the two cars.
I am pretty sure that the keyfob and code that needs to be input into the system is set in the module 993 618 159 02, which is the module I will swap between the cars, program the keys and then swap back again.
I do not know how much you have been mocking around with programming a new key fob, but I am pretty sure everything related to the remote control is in that specific module.
Otherwise, why would you get a new code when you replace that specific module?

Nic

Nic

Quick Reply: 993 Alarm Module Programming Issue