993 Forum 1995-1998

1,000 miles later...

Search this Thread

Old 06-27-2011, 11:15 PM
jakfrost
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 1,000 miles later...

Started with a wedding invitation a few months ago. Can't go on the bike, should get something else, something we could pack clothes appropriate for a friends wedding...so, out to Costa Mesa, and back with the 993.

Then, a month later its time to head out on the 7hr+ drive to the wedding, and its raining, hard. But what the heck, bought the car, new clothes, hotel reservations made, hair and nails, ( hers not mine...), etc. Gotta go.

So out to the garage,

And she is ready to go...( better than a bike, eh? )

And to top it off some of the roads were under construction, slime anyone?

But the rooms were spacious and comfortable...

And even the bridesmaids were beautiful...

As was the location...

Time out for contemplation...

And evening dinner on the deck...

Good excuse to sell 2 bikes to buy one 993, eh?

Jim
Old 06-27-2011, 11:29 PM
P-daddy
Rennlist Member

Received 446 Likes on 270 Posts

Nice! Thanks for sharing the great pics. Must of been painful to drive your clean 993 on that dirt road.
Old 06-28-2011, 12:01 AM
Cactus
Noodle Jr.
Rennlist Member

Received 207 Likes on 133 Posts

Lake front looks great!
Old 06-28-2011, 11:22 AM
95 NC 993
Burning Brakes

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

That dirt road made me cringe. Other than that, nice!!
Old 06-28-2011, 11:25 AM
No HTwo O
Banned

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

Nice story and pics. How did you navigate the 1,000 mile trip? Did you use a Garmin? If so, you can tell the Garmin NOT to go on unpaved roads. One time the Garmin brought me to a boat ferry to cross a river. I turned that funtion off, too.

Clean garage......says a lot about a guy.
Old 06-28-2011, 08:37 PM
jakfrost
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by No HTwo O
Nice story and pics. How did you navigate the 1,000 mile trip? Did you use a Garmin? If so, you can tell the Garmin NOT to go on unpaved roads. One time the Garmin brought me to a boat ferry to cross a river. I turned that funtion off, too.

Clean garage......says a lot about a guy.
Thanks, makes it easier to work on the car, or anything else for that matter. Working in aviation you see the aircraft engineers being so meticulous, it kind of rubs off. They are super strict about things like tool counts...

I did use the Garmin ( 3790 ), and of course the 'unpaved roads' is selected as one of the 'avoids' but there is no way for the unit to know when a normally paved road is undergoing 'improvements'...my only option would have been to turn around and go back about 35 miles to detour south. Fortunately the rough stuff only lasted for about 8 miles.

I don't really worry about the car being damaged driving on the loose stuff, its the yahoo in the 'red-neck express' coming the other way spraying 3/4" gravel in all directions that freaks me out. Given the cost of a new windscreen for the 993, .

The hotel concierge was very helpful the next morning, while 'she' was in the spa, I was washing the p-car in the underground parking. I always carry my own soap and wash mitt, california squeegee and ( old ) terry cotton towels, so all I need is a bucket and a hose.

Took a different route home though!

Jim
Old 06-28-2011, 09:58 PM
Chuck W.
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 355 Likes on 210 Posts

Very cool..... trips like that are priceless for the memories they leave you with.

Quick Reply: 1,000 miles later...