Notices
993 Forum 1995-1998

Help needed: emission testing in IL - where & what to watch out for

Old 06-26-2011, 05:46 PM
ab2010
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Help needed: emission testing in IL - where & what to watch out for

This will be my first time taking my 993 TT (stock other than chip) in for an emission test and I'd like to avoid getting the car damaged.

Does anyone have any advice on a) where to take the car near Chicago, IL and b) what to watch out for/what to do?

Thanks!
Old 06-26-2011, 08:02 PM
David in Chicago
Addict
Rennlist Member

I go to the state inspection station on Webster, just up against the Kennedy.

Under the current test rules, all they've had to do was the OBD test, in which their computer is plugged into the OBD port located on the driver's side of the car's console. Just pull the cover off before you get in line to make it really easy for the inspector. Once the car passes that test, the other tests (tailpipe, roller) are waived and it's 2 years before you've got to return.

Regards to all.
Old 06-27-2011, 02:20 AM
Warpig
Pro

And us lucky 95 (OBDI) and older owners only need to pass one smog test in IL. the way I understand it these days... Then no more testing. Once an OBDI car has passed a single IL test under current rules the car will be tested no more.

Nick
Old 06-27-2011, 08:34 AM
vjd3
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Don't let 'em put it on the 2 wheel roller. That happened in Boston to someone when they used to run the engine at different speeds to measure exhaust. They got a big surprise when the front wheels grabbed and the car hit the wall.
Old 06-27-2011, 09:28 AM
Warpig
Pro

IL is not too bad about OBDII testing.. they hook up to your port and read your codes. So long as no codes are set that would cause a check engine light to be lit are set and you have sufficient data logged, you are all set. (you know there are none if the light is off) I havent even seen a facility in IL with a dyno test for probably at least 10 years now. The state ripped them all out. There may be one or two somewhere but I have not seen one at any of the test facilities anywhere near me. The state also closed a large number of test facilities. Seems as if the exhaust ****'s in IL are letting up a bit...

Nick
Old 06-27-2011, 11:39 AM
tonypai
Racer

Originally Posted by David in Chicago
I go to the state inspection station on Webster, just up against the Kennedy.

Under the current test rules, all they've had to do was the OBD test, in which their computer is plugged into the OBD port located on the driver's side of the car's console. Just pull the cover off before you get in line to make it really easy for the inspector. Once the car passes that test, the other tests (tailpipe, roller) are waived and it's 2 years before you've got to return.

Regards to all.
Ditto for me.

I was in and out in less than 10 minutes.
Old 06-28-2011, 02:26 PM
BSL
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by Warpig
And us lucky 95 (OBDI) and older owners only need to pass one smog test in IL. the way I understand it these days... Then no more testing. Once an OBDI car has passed a single IL test under current rules the car will be tested no more.

Nick
Hmm, I bought my car from Florida a little over 2 years ago and never had to take it in for testing. I don't think that '95 and older need to be tested anymore.
Old 06-28-2011, 03:02 PM
David in Chicago
Addict
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by BSL
Hmm, I bought my car from Florida a little over 2 years ago and never had to take it in for testing. I don't think that '95 and older need to be tested anymore.
Correct.

From the website of the Illinois Air Team: "Generally, most 1996 and newer gasoline-powered passenger vehicles, light and heavy duty trucks and busses are subject to testing after they are four years old. Diesel powered vehicles, vehicles powered exclusively by electricity, and certain other vehicles are not required to test. Check the Exempt Vehicles List for details."

Regards to all.
Old 06-28-2011, 08:37 PM
Warpig
Pro

Originally Posted by BSL
Sounds like they may have laxed again. Two years ago when I bought my 95 the website said 95 and older cars may be required to test if they had not already been tested in IL. Funny you mention yours hasn't been tested. I Will have had my 95 two years on July 2nd and still have not received a test notice... I bought mine in 7/2/2009 in Wisconsin and brought it into IL.

Nick
Old 06-29-2011, 11:55 AM
BSL
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by Warpig
Sounds like they may have laxed again. Two years ago when I bought my 95 the website said 95 and older cars may be required to test if they had not already been tested in IL. Funny you mention yours hasn't been tested. I Will have had my 95 two years on July 2nd and still have not received a test notice... I bought mine in 7/2/2009 in Wisconsin and brought it into IL.

Nick
Hoping I don't get a letter to go in for test--would probably have to install the front plate then... I brought mine up from Florida in April '09, so about the same time-frame as you. Keeping fingers crossed!
Old 06-29-2011, 10:41 PM
Warpig
Pro

Originally Posted by BSL
Hoping I don't get a letter to go in for test--would probably have to install the front plate then... I brought mine up from Florida in April '09, so about the same time-frame as you. Keeping fingers crossed!
No worries on the front plate at emissions testing. They could care less. In IL emissions testing is just that. emissions testing. They care that your gas cap seals and they care that your 96 or newer OBDII car is not throwing check engine lights/codes. It really IS that simple. The State Troopers on the other hand they may care about the plate. I have never been pulled over for the missing front plate as the primary reason. They CAN, but any issues I've had with the front plate were secondary issues during a traffic stop.

Nick
Old 06-30-2011, 11:30 PM
ab2010
Rennlist Member

Thanks guys, that's very re-assuring. The last thing I want is go in for an emission test and come out having to take it to the next shop..
Old 07-02-2011, 12:23 AM
Warpig
Pro

They emissions folks here in IL are not safety ****'s...
So long as you are not rolling up to the test center with your Check engine light lit or have not seen it in the past few weeks or someone stole your gas cap I would feel 100% confident you will pass. No worries. In fact I get the impression the attendants at the test stations near me try to AVOID talking you you AT ALL much less grill you on the safety aspects of your car.

Nick

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Help needed: emission testing in IL - where & what to watch out for