Notices
993 Forum 1995-1998

Removing A/C... Quick question about freon/gases..

Search this Thread

Old 03-14-2011, 03:04 PM
targagr
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Removing A/C... Quick question about freon/gases..

Im removing the A/C compressor and was wondering if letting out the freon/gases is a DIY or absolutely a job that requires that special "machine"..

Thanks.
Old 03-14-2011, 03:11 PM
race911
Rennlist Member

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Can you? Sure. Should you? Depends I guess on what your local regulations require, and your own views on proper handling of refrigerants.

In any case, our 993s have R134a in the system and not R12 (DuPont trade named "Freon".) So it's much less nasty. Even so, hasn't the EU banned the stuff on new cars now?
Old 03-14-2011, 03:57 PM
targagr
Pro

I'm clueless about this stuff...
Its just one of my winter projects to remove AC so wondered if i can remove refrigerants myself or wait to take it to dealer..
Old 03-14-2011, 05:04 PM
NC TRACKRAT
Rennlist Member

Received 433 Likes on 272 Posts

Suggest you take it to any local AC shop and get them to draw it off into their re-cycle tank. If you plan on selling or ever re-using the system, keep in mind that the receiver-drier should not be left open to the atmosphere and that all lines should be capped.
Old 03-14-2011, 05:15 PM
targagr
Pro

Thanks for the heads up NC trackrat!!
What did you cap the lines with probably something i can get at local hardware store?
Old 03-14-2011, 06:06 PM
race911
Rennlist Member

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

I'm guessing you're doing a complete removal? If so, you'll be putting another receiver/drier on if/when the components are reinstalled. As for capping lines, you'll be evacuating the system in full before refrigerant is reintroduced into the system. So the vacuum draw will pull any moisture out at that time.

Have fun pulling the evaporator!
Old 03-14-2011, 07:11 PM
NC TRACKRAT
Rennlist Member

Received 433 Likes on 272 Posts

I normally use the threaded, colored plastic plugs that come on new lines. It's just to keep debris, spiders, etc. out of the lines. You can just use duct tape if nothing else is available to you.
Old 03-15-2011, 11:19 AM
targagr
Pro

Hey guys thanks for the info again it is very helpfull.

Well im just removing the compressor from the engine and the lines for now...i was debating if i should/can remove the fan in front left bumper..but i will not remove the evaporator for obvious reasons
Ok i think i dont know my components, what is the receiver/drier?
Old 03-15-2011, 01:28 PM
Fly911
Rennlist Member

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts

The refrigerant used is not toxic, and can be vented to atmosphare with no issues. To be 100% safe, bleed down the pressure by opening the vents on the AC compressor with the garage door open. When the system is depressurized, you can start to disassemble all the hoses and piping. It's a PITA to get everything out without cutting any of the piping, but it goes with some time and patience...
Old 03-15-2011, 01:45 PM
axl911
Drifting

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by targagr
Hey guys thanks for the info again it is very helpfull.

Well im just removing the compressor from the engine and the lines for now...i was debating if i should/can remove the fan in front left bumper..but i will not remove the evaporator for obvious reasons
Ok i think i dont know my components, what is the receiver/drier?
Don't vent the gas to the atmosphere. Any AC shop will evacuate the gas for you, and in some case, may do it for free.

The receiver/drier is in the driver side wheel well...the other side of the wheel of the condenser. You can remove it and the condenser/fan, and cap off the lines. While you're in there...remove the windshield washer bottle too and save weight.
Old 03-15-2011, 02:03 PM
targagr
Pro

I guess there are a few parts to remove....
Old 03-15-2011, 02:17 PM
cgfen
Rennlist Member

Received 824 Likes on 540 Posts

Originally Posted by Fly911
The refrigerant used is not toxic, and can be vented to atmosphare with no issues.
are you serious?

Please ignore Fly911's advice and have your refrigerant "sucked out" using an appropriate recovery system.

here is a bit of info regarding proper refrigerant recovery.

http://www.aa1car.com/library/2003/ts30324.htm

Craig
Old 03-15-2011, 02:18 PM
Makmov
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Fly911
The refrigerant used is not toxic, and can be vented to atmosphare with no issues. To be 100% safe, bleed down the pressure by opening the vents on the AC compressor with the garage door open. When the system is depressurized, you can start to disassemble all the hoses and piping. It's a PITA to get everything out without cutting any of the piping, but it goes with some time and patience...
absolutely not true.

EMERGENCY OVERVIEW: Colorless, volatile liquid with ethereal and faint sweetish odor. Non-flammable material. Overexposure may cause dizziness and loss of concentration. At higher levels, CNS depression and cardiac arrhythmia may result from exposure. Vapors displace air and can cause asphyxiation in confined spaces. At higher temperatures, (>250°C), decomposition products may include Hydrofluoric Acid (HF) and carbonyl halides.

SKIN: Irritation would result from a defatting action on tissue. Liquid contact could cause frostbite.
EYES: Liquid contact can cause severe irritation and frostbite. Mist may irritate.
INHALATION: R-134A is low in acute toxicity in animals. When oxygen levels in air are reduced to 12-14% by displacement, symptoms of asphyxiation, loss of coordination, increased pulse rate and deeper respiration will occur. At high levels, cardiac arrhythmia may occur.

And in a lot of places it is illegal to open an AC system into the atmosphere, and many require a AC license to even work on a AC unit.
Old 03-15-2011, 02:19 PM
Makmov
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by cgfen
are you serious?

Please ignore Fly911's advice and have your refrigerant "sucked out" using an appropriate recovery system.

here is a bit of info regarding proper refrigerant recovery.

http://www.aa1car.com/library/2003/ts30324.htm

Craig
See what happens when you open an AC system into the atmosphere: You get redarded.
Old 07-02-2011, 12:41 AM
Warpig
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Love the reference to @ temps greater than 250 degrees Celsius. thats > 482 degrees F to all us US folk. I'm pretty sure breathing in 480+ degree air isnt good for you even if it doesn't contain R134 lol. It's not even that hot in Arizona... I do believe it is illegal to vent it to the atmosphere just about everywhere.

Nick

Quick Reply: Removing A/C... Quick question about freon/gases..