OT: "Jackass" Ryan Dunn Dies in GT3

Search this Thread

Old 06-22-2011, 12:10 AM
95 C4 993
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Ed Hughes
Loss of a good car...
Loss of 2 good people.....the car is material, life isnt.
Old 06-22-2011, 12:34 AM
Ed Hughes
Rennlist Member

Received 80 Likes on 54 Posts

Originally Posted by 95 C4 993
Loss of 2 good people.....the car is material, life isnt.
I didn't mince my words. Sure it's sad, but one can say he made his own bed. The real shame is he took someone with him. I get tired of the new "idols" of today. The good that may come of this, is that hopefully some of the young males who "looked up" to this guy, might realize nobody is invincible, and that living the wild life may require paying the ultimate price. In that light, his death may not be a complete waste, and may serve some good.
Old 06-22-2011, 12:47 AM
ABCar
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

The real shame is he took someone with him. I get tired of the new "idols" of today.
I know what you mean...the James Deans, Jimmie Hendrixs' and the idols of days past were much smarter.

All the same, it was his bed he made but the passenger had no choice. Very sad for all concerned.

+ =
Old 06-22-2011, 12:51 AM
goofballdeluxe
Rennlist Member

Received 151 Likes on 98 Posts

Originally Posted by ABCar
I know what you mean...the James Deans, Jimmie Hendrixs' and the idols of days past were much smarter.

All the same, it was his bed he made but the passenger had no choice. Very sad for all concerned.

+ =
Well, one could make the argument that when the passenger got into the car knowing the driver was as drunk as he was, he made his choice too...

Either way, the toxic combination of too much car, ego and booze has taken many young men in an untimely fashion. It's always sad and tragic. And yet almost always totally preventable too.
Old 06-22-2011, 01:00 AM
ABCar
Rennlist Member

I know, but decisions are too often by stupid default. These guys were probably having a blast until they weren't.
I think we have all made some of those bad decisions but are still lucky enough to have survived the youth and stupidity.
Old 06-22-2011, 01:16 AM
Ed Hughes
Rennlist Member

Received 80 Likes on 54 Posts

Originally Posted by ABCar

+ =
And many have died since the 60's of overdoses, etc, partying like rock stars. I'm not sure James Dean fits in this subset-he was helped to his grave by a Mr. Turnipseed making a turn in front of him, although Dean was speeding-never heard any reports of him driving drunk that day.

I was really referring to the jackass crowd, Jersey Shore, most "musicians" of today, the Lindsays' and Paris', etc. There's a lot of no talents making a mark for themselves in many ways, and getting fabulously wealthy doing it. Did I mention the Kardashians?
Old 06-22-2011, 08:42 AM
ABCar
Rennlist Member

Agreed...the new ones seem so hollow and...welll unappealing.

I really can't stand most of them (although Jackass is one of my favorite funny movies that I watch at least once a year...ironically, these dopes are the exception to the rule. Somehow they have one foot in the old school...not relying of loudness and an tough attitude to make them famous but real people who take chances...people who are stupid and are not afraid to admit they are dopes!)

Still, every generation throws some tragic heros up the flag pole. Today's just seem to be extra shallow and meaningless. To the point at hand though, a drunken ride in a GT3 is not smart no matter what generation you are from.
Old 06-22-2011, 11:44 PM
95 C4 993
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I didn't mince my words. Sure it's sad, but one can say he made his own bed. The real shame is he took someone with him. I get tired of the new "idols" of today. The good that may come of this, is that hopefully some of the young males who "looked up" to this guy, might realize nobody is invincible, and that living the wild life may require paying the ultimate price. In that light, his death may not be a complete waste, and may serve some good.
I hear ya Ed---understand what your saying completely. Sad all the way around and these things happen from time to time. The walk of life has its path.

Quick Reply: OT: "Jackass" Ryan Dunn Dies in GT3