Sponsored by:

My 8mm socket fell into the crankshaft pulley area

Search this Thread

Old 06-19-2011, 11:46 AM
Howdy993
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Before starting to a work on something, I'll usually stuff some rags into the areas where nuts and sockets can fall into. I know, that takes all the fun out of wrenching on stuff!

Good luck on the fishing trip!
Old 06-19-2011, 08:26 PM
brucec59
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Howdy993
Before starting to a work on something, I'll usually stuff some rags into the areas where nuts and sockets can fall into. I know, that takes all the fun out of wrenching on stuff!

Good luck on the fishing trip!
I was just gonna say the same thing.
Old 06-19-2011, 09:11 PM
911Dave
Rennlist Member

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Success! In fact it was too easy. I went to Sears and got a telescoping magnetic pickup that has an LED light at the end (which is useful all by itself in fact). A bent piece of wire was all I needed to fish the socket out and into position, then I retrieved it with the magnet.

Using a towel as a safety net in the future is a great idea! I don't think it will take any fun away.

Now if I can just figure out where the right side engine lid shock retaining pin ended up. I heard a couple of klangs as it bounced around in there, followed by only the sound of crickets chirping....
Old 06-19-2011, 10:16 PM
FlatSix911
Nordschleife Master

Received 18 Likes on 15 Posts

Congrats on the successful fishing trip ...
Old 06-19-2011, 10:38 PM
BobbyT
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 75 Likes on 50 Posts

For things like the engine lid shock retaining pin, which are easy to drop and will go into the Black Hole of Calcutta when dropped, I tie on a piece of dental floss beforehand...

Another trick for putting a screw in a deep recess is to put it on the screwdriver, put a thin plastic bag over the whole thing, push the tip of the screw through the bag, then insert the screw in its hole. Once the screw is in, but before final tightening, pull the plastic bag out.
Old 06-20-2011, 11:41 AM
Slow Guy
Race Director

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by BobbyT
For things like the engine lid shock retaining pin, which are easy to drop and will go into the Black Hole of Calcutta when dropped, I tie on a piece of dental floss beforehand...

Another trick for putting a screw in a deep recess is to put it on the screwdriver, put a thin plastic bag over the whole thing, push the tip of the screw through the bag, then insert the screw in its hole. Once the screw is in, but before final tightening, pull the plastic bag out.
Slick!
Old 06-20-2011, 12:53 PM
BSL
Three Wheelin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by BobbyT

That is a brilliant idea!
Old 06-20-2011, 11:00 PM
Michaelc
Rennlist Member

Received 14 Likes on 6 Posts

I am always amazed at what I learn on this forum!!!!

Quick Reply: My 8mm socket fell into the crankshaft pulley area