993 Forum 1995-1998

Oddball (for me) tire wear

Search this Thread

Old 06-10-2011, 12:22 AM
race911
Rennlist Member

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by trophy
Ken, I would string the car up again and see where it is sitting, realistically the only thing that can be going wrong here is a toe issue. Do you have a rod end on your toe or K-toe links that has gone bad, causing changes under load of this alignment. Have you broken a rear swaybar link causing the backend to be loose (as per the video). What about wheel bearings, is there any noise or movement?

Just throwing ideas at you here
Missed your comment looking earlier.

Thanks for throwing. I know a lot about these things, but I also don't know a lot......

It will get it set up again next week before Friday's track day. K-Toe links are solid. Broken rear bar link would cause understeer. (Pic #2 was run with the rear bar disconnected the last 25% of their life, they were so bad. So it's not that at all.) Bearings/everything is tight. I'd be more suspect that a corner was bad if only one side had the inner edge burned. Thunderhill (where these tires ran 100%) is predominately left handed. Only the medium speed, off camber T3, slow and not unkind to rear tires 5A, and slow "watch it so you don't oversteer" T14/15 are right handed. I've never had a left rear cord on the inside. And this goes back 12 years since the full course has been built, with the '92 C4, 74 3.6L widebody, '73 S, RSA racer, RSA #2, '73 RS clone, '97 4S, Radical, 910, SM, and this car.

Originally Posted by ppressle
Ken,
Spinning the inside tire perhaps? How is the limited slip?
Pete
I'm sure you watched the videos posted. One thing this car does NOT do is spin an inside rear. Though I can't say I've measured the break torque on the LSD since I got the car, I suppose I'll give it a check since it's easy enough to do.
Old 06-10-2011, 02:35 AM
Greg H.
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 25 Likes on 13 Posts

I take it you will not be at Thunderhill this Saturday?

Greg H.

Quick Reply: Oddball (for me) tire wear