Notices
993 Forum 1995-1998

weird eBay experience

Search this Thread

Old 06-08-2011, 06:57 PM
mongrelcat
Drifting

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Nowadays, 99.8% of eBay transactions are "weird" if you look at them long enough.
Old 06-08-2011, 09:43 PM
Chuck W.
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 355 Likes on 210 Posts

Don't stress over it. SY is a great color..... but without a PPI on a 16 year old car it is worthless. If this one doesn't work out, another one will. Hang in there.
Old 06-08-2011, 10:00 PM
Magdaddy
Rennlist Member

Received 244 Likes on 185 Posts

Originally Posted by Kika
I am with deekay911, there were likely issue that were going to show up in a PPI and the seller didn't want that reveled.
that was the situation I was in early last May. An ebay listing for a 96 C2 with HB sport seats, local asking price $21K. I talked with the seller at length, agreed to his price, subject to a PPI local to him in Melborne, Fl.

The whole purpose of the PPI was to simply insure the car would be safe to drive 1500 miles home to NY. I booked the flight, then one day before...he leaves me a voicemail saying he sold the car locally for $1K more than my offer.

The car has been talked about in detail here...CHROME BOUGHT IT...TOO FAST FOR YOU...etc.

The owner was a professional, very well known to the local PCA, as well as the car. Follow up conversations with the wackjob who bought it, revealed the mechanical issues the PO was afraid of apparently.

When it feels right, goes smoothly, it was meant to be.

There isn't a day that goes by, when driving my C4S, that I don't know it's the right one... for now*

*for the first time today, while being somewhat aggressive in traffic going 10-15 mph BELOW the posted speedlimit(and running late for my doctor's appointment)I thought an extra 200hp would be nice. While I can't really afford it yet, I GOTTA get a ride/drive in a 993TT.

Hey, I still have two kidneys!
Old 06-08-2011, 10:05 PM
nile13
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 90 Likes on 57 Posts

Joe, one kidney is about $25K on the market, I hear. That's the exact price diff between C4S and TT, right? To keep this strictly on-topic, you can sell aforementioned kidney on eBay
Old 06-08-2011, 10:33 PM
Magdaddy
Rennlist Member

Received 244 Likes on 185 Posts

Originally Posted by nile13
Joe, one kidney is about $25K on the market, I hear. That's the exact price diff between C4S and TT, right? To keep this strictly on-topic, you can sell aforementioned kidney on eBay

I hear your good with tool's! I'll supply the ice, you can do the rest.
Old 06-09-2011, 10:46 AM
firesm
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Ironically your offer of more than asking subject to a ppi might have been the thing that sealed the deal for the other buyer. I've heard of cases in realestate where buyers will offer more than asking subject to a home inspection, and what this ends up doing is taking the house off of the market until the inspection comes in - where the buyer then hammers away at the seller for every little item until the house is actually below the original asking price.

Maybe he thought that - or maybe when he told the other prospective buyer of your offer said buyer told the seller - why take the chance of that happening, when you can accept my local offer now, not have to do a ppi and be done with it. That's what I would have done if I was the other buyer. If the seller has owned the car for awhile and paid someone else to do all the work, they would know it wouldn't take a lot for the repair bill to climb well past the 4.5K difference in the two offers.

You'll find another one - besides the chase is half the fun...

Good luck!
Old 06-10-2011, 09:25 AM
uscarrera
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 613 Likes on 300 Posts

I too was exchanging emails with the owner of that SY car on Ebay. He told me he had an offer that was low but was going to counter and see where it goes. I never heard back from him so I assumed he worked it out and sold car for the $29.5 as shown on Ebay. One thing I thought strange was him telling me he replaced all the carpets because he wanted it mint. 60K miles and replace all carpets? Thought that was strange but who knows he could have just been that picky.
Rich

Quick Reply: weird eBay experience